Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Refurb/Extension costs 2010?

Options
  • 23-08-2010 5:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi,

Just looking for some feedback on house refurb costs in 2010, per Sqm or Sqft.

Just got a tender back from a rake of builders and the prices are very high. I'm very suprised in 2010 that this stuff should be costing that much. I though everyone wanted to do a deal.

Anybody have any suggestions on costs as a guideline?

House is 1500 sqft as is. North County Dublin address. We are planning to

- Rewire
    - Replumb
    - Amending and adding to existing heating
    - New boiler + HC
    - New downstairs loo
    - New ensuite
    - Refit of main bathroom
    - Attic conversion
    - Insulation
    - New windows

Also if anyone has a good quality builder who is willing to be competitive and do a deal then please forward on their details.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭whelzer

What do you consider to be high?

You got a rake of prices. What was the spread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 HouseRefurb

Also looking for alt quotes on Decor, Joinery and other various Sub-Contracting bits separately and the quality of respose from the people I am approaching is clueless.

1. They usually don't return phone calls
    2. To give a 'free' price is a big favour [Since when did people charge for prices? I run my own business and I don't ask]
    3. Ones that do respond say they'll be back by a certain date but then I never hear from them again.

Hello. McFly ?!?!
    Work. Available. Give me a good price and you have the job?

Are we not in the middle of a chronic recession with the industry on its kness?

Jesus lads. Help yourselves.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

What size is the extension - is it 200 or 2000 sq.ft. ?

If it is just 200 sq.ft. then the overall price does seem high. If you are working with an architect, surely they can give you an idea/breakdown of where all the money is going? Drop the 6 panel accrodian door for a start! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 HouseRefurb

The door is costing 4k. A hit I am prepared to take.

Have full breakdown BOQ and some of the rates are laughable.

Extension is 20 sqm, or 200 sqft.

Are we not in an era where the average cost has supposedly dropped from 200 per ft2 to 80-100 ft2.

Can somebody please give me the contact of a quality builder who is looking for work at present who is prepared to negotiate and do a fair deal that does reflect market rates.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

How many quotes did you get and where did you get the names of the builders from?

• Advertisement

Sorry about all the questions, but do you still have an architcet retained on the job and if so can they explain why the costs are so high?

You say that there's 'nothing crazy on the spec.' - the only way to explain the high prices is the spec. The devil is in the detial.

If you got 6 prices and if the lower ones are pretty close, I would suggest this is the market price for doing the job and you just have to accept that or cut your cloth appropriatley/omit items of work.

If you go out to tender again, you certainly may get better prices but you may not.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭whelzer

Could you post some of your prices, eg avg rewire or plumbing cost. I'm about to get tenders for a lot of what your getting done and your overall cost is huge!

Avg 3 bed semi to rewire is approx 4k in Dublin- you can it done for half that if you wanted!

You WILL get a (good) boiler replaced approx 2.5k - supplied and fitted.

Re your extension is there awkward access to the house, have a listed/protected building? There has to be something in your spec that is driving up cost. Gold plated taps???

Incidently I've a quote for 6 meters (think 7 panels) of laminated timber folding sliding doors (1.2 UV) - 4700 stg supply and fit. So that price seems ok....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 gammiest

I was just looking to see if anyone knew where i could get and how much old yellow bricks are and saw your post, we got an extension done recently and the builders were very good, It worked out €90.00 per ft2 without floor finishes. We were delighted with what we got, they gave us drawings and 3d sketches of the extension when pricing the job and were the most professional of all the builders. Their website is <SNIP> if you want to check them out. <SNIP>. Best of luck with it.

Mod Edit: Do not link to or name businesses on thread. Please read the charter before posting again.

Advertisement