Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Piano Teaching?

Options
  • 23-08-2010 5:37pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭

At some stage in the future I'd like to teach piano. I've just recently completed my Grade VIII RIAM Pianoforte exam and was wondering what the next step should be. I'll be a qualified primary school teacher in two years time if all goes to plan. People I know are teaching piano with no more than Grade VIII, one of my own teachers only had Grade VII as well, but I'm thinking that's not the norm. I wouldn't feel comfortable teaching and taking other people's money knowing that I'm not suitably qualified. Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭clunked

dambarude wrote: »
    At some stage in the future I'd like to teach piano. I've just recently completed my Grade VIII RIAM Pianoforte exam and was wondering what the next step should be. I'll be a qualified primary school teacher in two years time if all goes to plan. People I know are teaching piano with no more than Grade VIII, one of my own teachers only had Grade VII as well, but I'm thinking that's not the norm. I wouldn't feel comfortable teaching and taking other people's money knowing that I'm not suitably qualified. Any advice?

The qualification you should be looking at is a Diploma of Associate, ie A.R.I.A.M. or A.T.C.L. or equivalent. Depending on the level of your playing (there would be people who would pass Grade VIII RIAM who would fail easily at Associated Board) you probably should also do a Senior/Advanced Certificate. The A.R.I.A.M diploma would be well recognised in this country. You would have to cover teaching methodologies and if you are studying music as part of your Primary Degree it should help.

I presume that you are getting lessons to reach your Grade VIII. Get further lessons from an experienced advanced player if your current teacher is not. You may need to develop your technique beyond what you have worked towards to date. And best of luck. Enjoy the challenge and practise!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

I've done my Grade VIII exam and got a distinction (I was also awarded a High Achiever's Award as well if that makes any difference). My teacher is a quite an advance player, he had a recital recently in the National Concert Hall. So going by your post the next thing I should do is the RIAM Senior Certificate? Thanks for your advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭clunked

I'm sure that your teacher will be in the best position to advise. You seem to be doing well anyway.

Advertisement