Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stenography Course

• 23-08-2010 5:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭

I applied for this out in bray, have to do an interview, asked to bring relevant materials, i've no idea what these might be, any ideas would be very welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,875 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Are you sure they said materials? They were not talking about documentation? Because I can't think what materials you would take for a stenography interview. They are hardly likely to want you to bring a shorthand notebook, since you haven't learned any yet!

I think on this occasion you would be justified in phoning the office and asking what they want you to bring!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Edelstein

Just spotted your query re. interview for stenography course.

I know your q was about the materials for interview etc. but just a word of advice re. your future prospects on qualification. There are very few jobs for stenographers nowadays. The criminal courts have switched to digital recording of proceedings. There are 2 main agencies employing stenographers but work is very thin on the ground and only the top people get work. As these 2 agencies have the monopoly, it is extremely difficult to set up as a freelancer and make a living.

Even if you do get accepted by either of the agencies, you may have no work for weeks and then get the odd job here and there. You are at the beck and call of the agency. I would strongly suggest you think long and hard before taking up a place on the course.

pm me if you'd like any further insights into the job etc.

E

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,875 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Edelstein, I thought much the same thing but I am out of touch with the job so I did not comment. Though if someone wanted to take journalist notes in court, do they have access to court notes or do they have to take their own? Or, for example at Council meetings or even business meetings, if you are the note-taker how are they taken? If you were a PA, for example, you would need to take notes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Edelstein

Hi Looksee - very delayed reaction but amn't online much at the mo.

Journalists would not have access to the stenographer's transcript. It is only the person who commissions a transcript who receives a copy - usually the judge, barrister or solicitor involved in a case (costs are often split between these parties). Stenographers are sometimes booked by the regional councils/corporations particularly for CPOs and again whoever commissioned the transcript will receive a copy. A stenographer may also be hired by large corporations for AGMs or disciplinary hearings. In order to carry out this kind of work, you need to own your own 'steno' machine and the accompanying translation software or work for an agency where you have access to the equipment. It takes c.2 years of training before you have learned the skill and built up enough speed to work independently and even then it can take another 2 years before accuracy and speed are up to scratch. At this stage there is the option to earn a lot more money by working as a real-time stenographer.

In terms of journalists/PAs taking notes, shorthand is a useful skill but I haven't seen many people use shorthand of late.

Hth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

Friend of mine did that course a few years ago. He loved the course, but hated the job if that makes sense.
    According to him, some people from that course went into subtitling.

• Advertisement
Advertisement