Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Hand Book Shops

Options
  • 23-08-2010 5:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

Hi
    Are there any good second hand book shops in Laois? I live in Portlaoise and you'd think there would be one here and do well, but the one that was here closed down and I raging.
    Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 zajdoo

O brill where abouts and what is it called?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ILA

There used to be a load of books at the Recyling Centre at the Landfill in Kyletalasha between Portlaoise and Mountmellick. People leave their books which they don't want into a shelf in a container and others can come and take them if they want them.

There was some good reads in it, like fairly new books with everything intact. It used to be free, but there's a 3 euro charge on the recycling area now but the lads working there might let you in if you explain you're only going to look at the books and not recycling anything yourself.

Other than that, there's nothing much at all. There's definately a demand for one in Portlaoise, I used to go to Readers in Dun Laoghaire when I used to make trips over there, but haven't been in years. Oxfam Shop in Kilkenny is also a good spot for quality second hand books.

There's also a new Massive Midland market, which was on today (Saturday) and should become a regular thing as they've it well set up with container units for rent by stall keepers, organised car parking and a security team with printed jackets, so looks like it'll be a regular thing.

Hi Ila I was at that market today, was good to have finally got a market in town!:) Its not before time. Are you from town too?
    The books were great value, 1e each or three for 2e, unfortunately there wasn't anything I was interested in but the lady running it is lovely.
    Thanks so much for that.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

zajdoo wrote: »
    Hi Ila I was at that market today, was good to have finally got a market in town!:) Its not before time. Are you from town too?
    The books were great value, 1e each or three for 2e, unfortunately there wasn't anything I was interested in but the lady running it is lovely.
    Thanks so much for that.:)
    where is this market which town
    is it on every saturday
    is there alot of choice there

• Advertisement

Hi there, the market is in portlaoise yes its suppose to be every sat just started last wk. There was a good few stalls at it and really like any other market it depends on what you're into. There's cakes, books, veg, clothes etc etc, I thought it was ok. Not wonderful but good for a start hopefully it will get bigger.
    Its on 9-5 sats.
    Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

You can find secondhand books in Gorta, Sue Ryder and the St. Vincent De Paul stores in Portlaoise. Not the biggest selections, but you might find something you'd like!

Advertisement