Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amended lease

Options
  • 23-08-2010 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭

Hi All,

Just renewing a lease for my apartment and the letting agency have included a new page detailing fixtures and fittings with a value of 5 grand for everything. What is the significance of this, and why wouldn't it have been in the lease originally? Probably not important but thought I'd just check on boards anyway

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭pooch90

Hi All,

Just renewing a lease for my apartment and the letting agency have included a new page detailing fixtures and fittings with a value of 5 grand for everything. What is the significance of this, and why wouldn't it have been in the lease originally? Probably not important but thought I'd just check on boards anyway
    Your automatically part 4. Only sign the lease if you want to as you are not obliged and the ll cannot force you.

Under p4 you can stay there for another 3 years and he can only ask you to leave under certain circumstances - all of which very easy to deal with if your stubborn enough.

As for adding the value to the goods - don't allow him and refuse to sign anything other than the original binding lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭The Minstrel

pooch90 wrote: »
    Your automatically part 4. Only sign the lease if you want to as you are not obliged and the ll cannot force you.

Under p4 you can stay there for another 3 years and he can only ask you to leave under certain circumstances - all of which very easy to deal with if your stubborn enough.

As for adding the value to the goods - don't allow him and refuse to sign anything other than the original binding lease.

Thanks for the reply. I got the following info from citizensinformation.ie:
    Claiming a Part 4 tenancy at the end of a lease
    If you have a fixed-term contract or lease (for example of 1 year) and you wish to remain in the property under the rights acquired under Part 4, you must notify your landlord of your intention to stay in the property between 3 and 1 month before the expiry of your fixed–term tenancy or lease agreement. Click here for a sample letter of notification to remain in the property under Part 4.
    If you do not notify your landlord you cannot be refused coverage under Part 4 but you may have to compensate the landlord for any financial loss she/he has incurred because you did not notify him/her of your intention to remain in the tenancy.

Just one question, as I have not notified the landlord of my intention to remain in the property at least 1 month before the expiry (last June) there is the possibility they could ask for compensation? Any idea?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭pooch90

We were in a similar situation. we asked Threshold and they said once you're there past the end of the fixed term then you're automatically covered under Part 4. Just print off the sample letter and give it to LL.

They're not out of pocket for anything if you're staying on so there's nothing to be compensated for IMO.

Advertisement