Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me find out how much I won, please.

Options
  • 23-08-2010 5:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭

Hey about 4pm today I made a bet on a horse. I put down 2.50 on the odds of 10/3 but um... they've changed for the better :P

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/results?res_action=horseResultsSingleEvent&event_id=2018502

When I made the bet I put down for the winner to be at 10/3 odds and it's on the docket, but that changed to 6/1 on the sire so um... did I make a mistake and actually screwed myself out of the 6/1 odds if on the docket I put odds 10/3.

BTW, what does 2JF mean? I picked Rather Cool for the win but I didn't see that there earlier when I left just before 4pm.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Sir Vival

Hey about 4pm today I made a bet on a horse. I put down 2.50 on the odds of 10/3 but um... they've changed for the better :P

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/results?res_action=horseResultsSingleEvent&event_id=2018502

When I made the bet I put down for the winner to be at 10/3 odds and it's on the docket, but that changed to 6/1 on the sire so um... did I make a mistake and actually screwed myself out of the 6/1 odds if on the docket I put odds 10/3.

BTW, what does 2JF mean? I picked Rather Cool for the win but I didn't see that there earlier when I left just before 4pm.

Well i'd imagine since you selected the horse @10/3, they're the odds you will be paid with. Unless of course you selected sp(starting price)which as far as i know gives you the odds at which the horse starts the race at...

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Verance

Yup you'll get 6s if you did it with PP? So that's €15 you'll make plus your €2.50 back, well done!

2JF means he was joint second favourite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

I didn't put SP at all. I did do it with PP but see, I was told sometimes that the odds go down (I've seen it myelf) and it's best to put the odds down at the time you make the bet.
    I kind of don't want to go over there and expect 15 euro and look like a complete dolt if I only get the 10 or so.

BTW, I've got 2 more bets for later on the same docket. If I went over now and ask about the race I won on and collected my winnings (feel great saying that! :P) would I still be able to collect from the two later races if I win or do I have to go over once all my bets are completed and collect then?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Wait till all the selections have run.
    If any of the remaining 2 win, post up the details and someone will post your returns.
    As Verance stated, you'll get paid at the SP (guaranteed prices).

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Wait till all the selections have run.
    If any of the remaining 2 win, post up the details and someone will post your returns.
    As Verance stated, you'll get paid at the SP (guaranteed prices).

Okay I'll post them here in a few minutes.

Even though I didn't put the SP ont he docket and instead wrote "odds 10/3" will I still get paid at the odds of 6/1?

Again, thanks for everyone's help.

• Advertisement

Update folks, yeah it was just the one horse that won here: http://www.paddypower.com/bet/results?res_action=horseResultsSingleEvent&event_id=2018502

When I go to the bookies and I get the payout at 10/3 odds, should I ask for the 6/1 odds or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

The price will be guaranteed, they will pay you 6/1 without even having to ask, or they should do anyway

Okay I'll post them here in a few minutes.

Even though I didn't put the SP ont he docket and instead wrote "odds 10/3" will I still get paid at the odds of 6/1?

Again, thanks for everyone's help.
    ft9 wrote: »
    The price will be guaranteed, they will pay you 6/1 without even having to ask, or they should do anyway

Righto, I'll give it a bash. Thanks for all the help folks.

Just a note.
    Make sure you get paid at 6/1 just in case a member of staff isn't paying attention.

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Just a note.
    Make sure you get paid at 6/1 just in case a member of staff isn't paying attention.

I asked the fella at the counter and he said (I think) "yeah you were in early enough" and gave me the money back at 6/1.

So I'm really confused right now. I'm happy I got the better odds but what's the point of putting down the odds if I get the starting price odds when I never put SP:confused:?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭x PyRo

If you don't put down the odds and it goes off 5/2 you'll only get that. But if you take 10/3 at the time you go in and the price drifts (gets bigger) you get paid out at the bigger odds, like in this situation.

Never EVER take SP.

x PyRo wrote: »
    If you don't put down the odds and it goes off 5/2 you'll only get that. But if you take 10/3 at the time you go in and the price drifts (gets bigger) you get paid out at the bigger odds, like in this situation.

Never EVER take SP.

I was hoping for that! So basically it's a kind of inusrance if the odds go down but if they go up, I get the new odds?

Yeah pretty much. You just get paid the biggest odds out of the SP and the odds you took.

Yeah pretty much. You just get paid the biggest odds out of the SP and the odds you took.

Sounds a bit too good to be true. You said "pretty much", what am I not knowing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

You're not knowing how to gamble, so you shouldn't do it. €2.50 now on something you know very little about. That will rise to a fiver..then a tenner..then bye bye life.

You're not knowing how to gamble, so you shouldn't do it. €2.50 now on something you know very little about. That will rise to a fiver..then a tenner..then bye bye life.

Yeah, thanks. I know what I'm risking, I know what I can afford to lose, I know when to bet and when not to.

Sounds a bit too good to be true. You said "pretty much", what am I not knowing?

I just said "pretty much" as you phrased it differently than I'm used to hearing it!

It's a benefit for the gamblers and another reason to use a normal bookie instead of Betfair as Betfair doesn't offer the same terms, you just get paid at the price you take there, whether it's 5/1 or SP you'll only get that.

As ATBB said, you shouldn't start gambling until you know what you're at. I spent the first 6 months of my time gambling losing money, then I spent the second 6 months keeping records without backing them and learnt a few things then went back to putting cash on and I'm up a tidy bit of money since then, although I've had quite a bad start to the football season but still well up since the turn of the year. Get to know the gambling scene (especially if it's horse racing) before putting the money down and you'll stand a far better chance, it's not one bit easy though and only a tiny percentage of people do make a few quid profit out of it.

I just said "pretty much" as you phrased it differently than I'm used to hearing it!

It's a benefit for the gamblers and another reason to use a normal bookie instead of Betfair as Betfair doesn't offer the same terms, you just get paid at the price you take there, whether it's 5/1 or SP you'll only get that.

As ATBB said, you shouldn't start gambling until you know what you're at. I spent the first 6 months of my time gambling losing money, then I spent the second 6 months keeping records without backing them and learnt a few things then went back to putting cash on and I'm up a tidy bit of money since then, although I've had quite a bad start to the football season but still well up since the turn of the year. Get to know the gambling scene (especially if it's horse racing) before putting the money down and you'll stand a far better chance, it's not one bit easy though and only a tiny percentage of people do make a few quid profit out of it.

Thanks but TBH I don't see a problem in listening to a few people who all agree X horse to win and spending 5 euro per week on a horse. Yeah I know it can get worse but so far I'm up in the winnings and don't really plan to throw away what I won. So unless I know several people backing the same horse/game, i won't bother.

what's the point of putting down the odds if I get the starting price odds

It's called guaranteed odds.
    Powers, Boyles, Ladbrokes all do it Isingles only afaik).
    Basically you back a horse, always always take the price, if SP is higher you get SP, if SP is lower you get the price you wrote on the slip!
    Simple: It's a no brainer.
    If you don't write the price and SP is lower, you get SP.
    I still see guys in a shop not putting the price on a horse, fair enough the bookies price on that horse may be low but it's the guarantee that's the attractive part of it.

Advertisement