Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where are the Fishmongers in Cork

Options
  • 23-08-2010 5:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Does anyone know where the decent fishmonger shops are in cork??? I am aware of the 2 in the English market but I find it a pain getting into town at peak times just for a good piece of fish. (I dont include tesco, dunnes, ect. as fishmongers.) I know some of the markets sell fish but i work mon-fri and for example the mahon point one is on a thursday from 9-3pm!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

There's a few mobile sellers now too. One sets up on the Boreenmana Road near to the Maxol station, and the other one I'm aware of sets up in the Pinecroft estate in Grange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 kieranmcg2000

I got stung by one of them on the rochestown road, got some prawns of the guy and went to cook them a few hours later and the were not the may west!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭disco biscuit

There is a mobile one beside Dunnes in Blackpool every Friday morning.I find him reasonable and he has good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

theres a mobile one outside o callaghans garage in ballyvolane too,not sure of his times though

theres a shop down in blackpool behind the church,he has really good stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭scuby

one in midleton on a sat morning, beside supervalu... 3/4 pieces of fish for €5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I've seen a mobile van in Glounthaune, but I don't have any details, just saw it as I was passing.
    There's a very good shop in Midleton, Ballycotton seafood. Top notch stuff. I wouldn't discount Supervalu in Glanmire either, I've bought some lovely fish in there. Finally, I found fish from O'Connels in my local shop in Glounthaune - Fitzpatricks. I imagine that if they supply them, they supply other local shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

scuby wrote: »
    one in midleton on a sat morning, beside supervalu... 3/4 pieces of fish for €5

+1

His fish is very fresh - what he has is basically what came in.
    Need to get up early though as he is often sold out and gone by noon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 hill1

The Good Fish shop in carrigaline is one of the best. also have a shop in ballincollig. I did see one of their vans the other day that said they deliver and that you can shop online, but i have not checked it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

There is a mobile one by Dino's in Bishopstown too - I think he is there every day, no idea of quality though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭jacko1

stall in midleton market on sat morning is good

• Advertisement

Is there not one in Blackpool village.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Dan Dare

RoverJames wrote: »
    Is there not one in Blackpool village.

I think it is called Dennehys- It is at the back of the church.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

i second the vote for good fish carrigaline. great " factory price "value.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

hill1 wrote: »
    The Good Fish shop in carrigaline is one of the best. also have a shop in ballincollig. I did see one of their vans the other day that said they deliver and that you can shop online, but i have not checked it out.

I'll second this! I go to their shop in Ballincollig regularly and their prices are really good and the service is great. I've been to their shop in Carrigaline too and have experienced the same good service there.

I've stopped buying from the English market as I think their prices are way too high.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

I'll second this! I go to their shop in Ballincollig regularly and their prices are really good and the service is great. I've been to their shop in Carrigaline too and have experienced the same good service there.

I've stopped buying from the English market as I think their prices are way too high.

Also have to vouch for The Good Fish shop in Carrigline.

Never had a single bad experience there, their fish is always very fresh and a fair bit cheaper. I've bought fish some of the other places mentioned (won't name names) and had fish that was pretty past its best.

Only weakness is that they have a smaller selection. But I think there's usually a correlation between more choice and less quality in fishmongers.

Cheers guys, will be checking these out in the next few weeks.

I found 2 great fishmongers at the new Douglas market on saturdays, really fresh fish. The two former markets here have joined together so it has twice the amount of stalls. Its on in the dunnes car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

There is a fishmongers after opening in Douglas - I think its the company Chieftan Charters who catch the fish so its probably called Chieftan Charters :D

Drive out of the city up Sumerhill South (past the Capwell bus station) and turn onto South Douglas road. There is a school on the left before Turners Cross church and the fishmongers is oppositite that school.

Advertisement