Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Stig Revealed!

• 23-08-2010 6:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭

The stig has been identified today as......
    Ben Collins
    Speculation about his identity has ranged from former Formula one champion Michael Schumacher to Mr Bean creator Rowan Atkinson.

But the seven-year mystery surrounding top Gear's masked test driver the Stig appears finally to be over.

Financial documents have been unearthed which link 35-year-old racing driver and stuntman Ben Collins to the secret role.

article-1305162-0A8C0720000005DC-864_468x537.jpg Unmasked: Top Gear star The Stig with special guests Cameron Diaz and Tom Cruise. The Stig's true identity has been revealed as Ben Collins

article-1305162-0AE254D1000005DC-167_233x369.jpg Out of character: Ben Collins, as he looks without his helmet and visor

The Stig's unmasking comes after the Daily Mail last week revealed how he was locked in a legal battle with the BBC over plans to reveal his identity in his autobiography.

Lawyers warned that secrecy was essential to his role in the BBC2 programme.

The clue to his identity emerges in the accounts of his company, Collins Autosport.

It recorded a 'cornerstone year' in December 2003, a month after the white-clad Stig's first appearance on TV.

This was partly down to 'driving services provided for the BBC, mainly in the Top Gear programme', the accounts said.

Directors noted the work offered 'good long-term prospects for continuing income,' the Sunday Times reported.

Collins, who has doubled for Daniel Craig for stunts in a James Bond film, was named as a possible Stig after a builder claimed to have seen the distinctive white outfit at the driver's Bristol home.

But he has always refused to answer questions on the subject. Asked about it at the weekend, he said he was

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1305162/Top-Gears-The-Stig-unmasked-Ben-Collins-company-accounts.html?ito=feeds-newsxml#ixzz0xRxbOGEw

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1305162/Top-Gears-The-Stig-unmasked-Ben-Collins-company-accounts.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Dean09 wrote: »
    The stig has been identified today as......
    Ben Collins

Ah a Daily Mail articel/link. Well that's me sold.

Seriously, he was probably top of the list of probable drivers who could have been The Stig. It wouldn't be a big surprise, just a pity that the mystery was over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Wasn't it supposed to be Ben Collins 2 years ago too? Some builder found the uniform in his house when working there. They wouldn't want to call to my house, I've got the same kit!

25756_1397633104450_1340936311_31080145_7883430_n.jpg

Wasn't it supposed to be Ben Collins 2 years ago too? Some builder found the uniform in his house when working there. They wouldn't want to call to my house, I've got the same kit!

25756_1397633104450_1340936311_31080145_7883430_n.jpg

The Stigs Irish Cousin.....

Some say, that if HE was Joe Duffy, he'd tell everyone to grow up and stop whinging...

Some say, that he said JESUS CHRIST, even after the Blasphemy Bill was passed...

All we know he's called The Paint Doctor :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 63 ✭✭Wowreally?

they keep chaning him, ti was orignally collin mcrae but he posted it in his auto biography then michael went back to F1 now its ben collins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,006 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I can't imagine why he would want to reveal his identity. His job on Top Gear was well paid and should the show have finished he would have been able to cash in on his time as the Stig. Doing so now while the show is still current just seems silly really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 63 ✭✭Wowreally?

well if you watch the video of when schumaker revelaed himself he said hee was fed up of all the publicity behind "who really is the stig"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

I knew it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

I thought alot knew about this since he was named something along the lines of the "performance driving technical consultant" back when Hammond had that crash of his.

Back last year, sometime around the summer if I recall, a british paper outed him aswell. Maybe it got drowned out by all that Shcumacher business though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

I posted this 3 days before that article:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67569768&postcount=9

Think of The Stig as a character and not a person

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Wasn't the Stig revealed last year?

• Advertisement

Confirmed as Ben Colins on Sky News - link. If there's another season it should be interesting...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,334 ✭✭✭death1234567

Old news...

Old news...

Just saying it's no longer rumour/speculation, you'll have to forgive those of us who wern't 100% sure for the last seven years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭branners69

I never understood the massive interest in the Stigs identity, who really gives a sh1t?

Lets face it Top Gear has gone pants so maybe Ben Collins decided to bail out while the going was mediocre?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

He may have 'been' The Stig, but I doubt they'll keep him on after this. Perry McCarthy as the Black Stig was killed of after he revealed it himself.

Cue speculation on who Stig III will be :D

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Chronic Rick

Stig.jpg

Admittedly I rushed this to have it up while it was still relevant. sorry if it's a little crappy
    PS. it got cut off a little at the bottom so it should read the baby stig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Wowreally? wrote: »
    well if you watch the video of when schumaker revelaed himself he said hee was fed up of all the publicity behind "who really is the stig"
    It was just Schmuacher that 1 time cause it was his FXX they were driving on the track

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Chuck Finlay

Some say ... he's been fired by the BBC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

I'm just surprised that it's been kept "secret" for so long.... and wonder what colour the next Stig's overalls will be!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Well everyone knew it was Ben Collins.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It's been known who it was for ages, but him coming out and putting it in print is wrong. The Stig is a character and part of that is that we don't know who it is for certain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭Buffman

Sounds like the Stig may be dead and is to be replaced by something new???

Clarkson seems a bit peed off!

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭messymess

Seriously, I don't get the big 'hoo haa' over this. Why does anyone care who the stig is?

Top gear has become so much of an entertainment program that even my 77 year old mother watches it ... and she can't even drive! She doesn't know, or give a ****, who these racing drivers are. As do a lot people. Hell, I'm big into motors and I don't even know anything about him.

Honestly, does it really matter? Am I missing something really important?

No it doesn't really matter, but it doesn't stop people being curious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

I can't imagine why he would want to reveal his identity. His job on Top Gear was well paid and should the show have finished he would have been able to cash in on his time as the Stig. Doing so now while the show is still current just seems silly really.

Ya he's really drove over his own foot. Whatever made him do it. I'll be sorry to see him go.

That video Buffman posted would point that there will be another series so it'll be interesting to see if they do something different that a new driver and a new colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭-gilly-09-

Ye he really shot himself in the foot. If he didn’t reveal himself then he could have made a good few quid after the show ends and still kept many people wondering who he was and kept himself in some form of limelight. I can't remember how much he was on a show but it was a very good wage.
    What will he do now? The only upside I can see is he gets his name out as a very decent driver and can do a lot more work as stunt driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Stig splits - for Channel 5

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/oct/01/the-stig-top-gear-channel-5

Richard Desmond's Channel 5 has hired Ben Collins, the racing driver who played Top Gear's the Stig, to appear in rival motoring show Fifth Gear.

Collins, who has appeared as the helmet-wearing "mystery" driver on BBC2's Top Gear from 2003, was ditched from the show after it emerged he was preparing to publish a book on his racing experiences and unmask himself as the Stig. Last month the BBC failed to get an injunction to halt the publication of Collins's autobiography.

He will make his debut on the show, which also features former Top Gear presenters Tiff Needell and Vicki Butler-Henderson, when the new series of Fifth Gear starts next Friday night.

mike65 wrote: »
    The Stig splits - for Channel 5

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/oct/01/the-stig-top-gear-channel-5

Richard Desmond's Channel 5 has hired Ben Collins, the racing driver who played Top Gear's the Stig, to appear in rival motoring show Fifth Gear.

Collins, who has appeared as the helmet-wearing "mystery" driver on BBC2's Top Gear from 2003, was ditched from the show after it emerged he was preparing to publish a book on his racing experiences and unmask himself as the Stig. Last month the BBC failed to get an injunction to halt the publication of Collins's autobiography.

He will make his debut on the show, which also features former Top Gear presenters Tiff Needell and Vicki Butler-Henderson, when the new series of Fifth Gear starts next Friday night.

Oh I can imagine the Clarkson jibes about this :D Maybe Collins can liven 5th gear up, although I doubt it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭KylieWyley

As a motor review show, I actually prefer Fifth Gear.

All the presenters are much better drivers and actually know what they're talking about. That said, the production quality is ****e and they're trying to emulate Top Gear with silly challenges.

Advertisement