Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Xbox Live keeps disconnecting for no reason.....

• 23-08-2010 6:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

I've done connection tests and it says its fine but after playing for 10 minutes it just disconnects again, very frustrating :@ Please help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

I've done connection tests and it says its fine but after playing for 10 minutes it just disconnects again, very frustrating :@ Please help
    Ya this happens to me quite a bit but not as frequently....maybe every hour or so. Who is your broadband provider (Others may have this problem with them that could help) and is the firmware for your router updated to the most recent version?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Would suggest a new router, friend had a similar issue, would disconnect every 50 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

Yeah, most likely your router but could also be that all the bandwith is being used up by another PC on the network. ie. a P2P client, someone on youtube streaming videos etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

Reseting my router worked for me cause I was messing with the settings. Alternatively a new router is your best bet as the ones that the broadband providers give you are cat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭stopusingoil

I have had the same problem for quite some time now. It can be very frustrating, because I play BBC2 and a round can last up to 45 minutes sometimes. I usually have the top score in the game and when I disconnect I don't get to see my stats at the end :(

I had an engineer from eircom out today and according to him, it's either caused by the eircom phonewatch being installed without an ADSL filter, or it's the modem. He did however say that it's highly unlikely to be the modem, because when a modem goes faulty it stays faulty - ruling out the possible symptom that we are experiencing (intermittent connectivity issues).

Eircom phonewatch are coming out next Tuesday to install an ADSL. Lol I can't wait to see the look on their face when they find out I'm not paying them a cent for something that they should have done in the first place.

Anywho, I'll post back here next Tuesday to let you all know what was actually causing the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Had similar issues recently with the connection dropping every 45 mins or so. Had been using the router Vodafone game. I stuck back in my old Linksys router and the problem hasn't reared it's head since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

OP, wired or wireless?

If wireless, try just using a wired connection and see if it keeps happening. It could just be your router dropping the wireless connection every now and again.

If its wired, its most like a problem with your ISP. I had issues like that before, where Magnet were trying to provide me with speeds that the local backbone couldn't handle. They reduced the speed slightly, and no more drops.

The drops were only for a few seconds, but just long enough for me to get disconnected from Xbox live. If you contact your ISP, the first thing they'll ask you do to is "plug it out and plug it back in again", no doubt.

With some ISPs, your IP addresses lease is only for 24 hours, so you'll have a quick drop while the lease is renewed on it. Your problem sounds more regular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Fr.Ebula Conundrum

I have wireless and unfortunately I can't try the wired option because I'd have to have the connection going through 2 rooms. I've a feeling it might be a new router we got, although this did work perfectly for a month or so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

what's your ISP and router model?

I have wireless and unfortunately I can't try the wired option because I'd have to have the connection going through 2 rooms. I've a feeling it might be a new router we got, although this did work perfectly for a month or so...

Perhaps you should consider homeplugs. They allow you to turn the existing electrical wiring of your house into an extension of your network. Simply plug a usb cable from your router into a homeplug attached to the electrical socket and have another homeplug in the socket of whatever room you want the connection to come out in. Simply run another usb from that socket to whatever device you want. Great for avoiding wireless issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

Perhaps you should consider homeplugs. They allow you to turn the existing electrical wiring of your house into an extension of your network. Simply plug a usb cable from your router into a homeplug attached to the electrical socket and have another homeplug in the socket of whatever room you want the connection to come out in. Simply run another usb from that socket to whatever device you want. Great for avoiding wireless issues.

Do they work well actually and what speeds can they operate at? I have a huge 25m cable from the sitting room to the bedroom for my xbox so this could be a better solution to increase my speeds maybe?

Do they work well actually and what speeds can they operate at? I have a huge 25m cable from the sitting room to the bedroom for my xbox so this could be a better solution to increase my speeds maybe?

Depends which you go for. Mine are 200 Mbps, wish I had a connection that fast. Work brilliantly. Never had an issue with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Fr.Ebula Conundrum

My isp is eircom and its a zyxel p-660hw-ti v3

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭thomashood10

Swap router's with a friend who has a different one, see if there's any difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jimbob_jones

Fr. Conundrum, I had the same problem as this.

Try to see if this works for you.

1. Go to Internet Explorer / Firefox whatever you browse with
    2. Go to http://192.168.1.254
    3. Type in your password for the router
    4. Click on Network and then Wireless Lan
    5. Enter the settings in the pic attached
    6. Click apply

This worked for me hopefully it solves the problem for you

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Zemuppet

Fr. Conundrum, I had the same problem as this.

Try to see if this works for you.

1. Go to Internet Explorer / Firefox whatever you browse with
    2. Go to http://192.168.1.254
    3. Type in your password for the router
    4. Click on Network and then Wireless Lan
    5. Enter the settings in the pic attached
    6. Click apply

This worked for me hopefully it solves the problem for you

You are a saint my friend. I spent the last 3 or 4 months talking to eircom about this problem and their solutions were useless. The Live used to disconnect every 30 mins but now :D. BTW by changing these settings, does it effect anything whilst on the net or anything else connected to the router. I am a noob at this sort of stuff. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jimbob_jones

Hi Zen,

Nope I have no problems since I made these changes, it fixed a couple of problems for me, like my laptop kept disconnnecting too.

So fingers crossed,

Cheers,
    J.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

AFAIK changing these setting to 9999 seconds will just make the problem happen every 2 hour 45 minutes instead of every 30 minutes.

The permanent fix for those using an xbox wirelessly on live with this zyxel router is to switch from WPA to WEP, under WEP these settings don't apply and you will never get disconnected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

if its wireless check what channel your using, i changed mine and now its good as gold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

I went through a period of poor internet speeds and because they were so low it disconnected quite a few times.

Rather irrating to say the least.

• Advertisement
Advertisement