Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows cost

Options
  • 17-08-2010 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭

These posts were moved from this thread for 2 reasons

1. In this sub forum company names are allowed . So no poor divil need be swamped with pm requests
    2. To restore the integrity of the original thread .

SB

prfeen wrote: »
    I am trying to decided on what windows to install.

I have standard 100mm block outer leaf, 60 mm xtratherm cavity insulation, and a 100mm inner leaf, I plan on drylining the inside also, which should give me a U-value circa 0.2 to 0.3 (assuming my calcs are ok)

I have a quote for 15K approx for 75mm frame with double glazing -Window U-value 1.6

The same company is offering 90mm insulation filled frame double glazed Window U-Value 1.2

Any help, thoughts, observations etc.

Thanks in Advance
    Mark

Sounds quite expensive in current climate. i would get another 2 prices from reputable installers. a u-value of 1.6 is kinda seen as the basic spec now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

prfeen wrote: »
    heh heh, rough guess from the top of my head :-)

15k covers about 24 windows and 4 doors and a sunroom

the cost of the 1.2 is 20K

I have 28 windows, 3 doors and a set of French doors. Current price I'm getting for the window spec outlined below is £9700 which is about €11800. They are woodgrain effect uPVC.

Frames are 70mm front to back
    Internally Glazed
    Triple Glazed (42mm Thick)
    Internal Pane – Soft Coat Low E
    Centre Pane – Soft Coat Low E
    External Pane – Float Glass
    Spacer Bar- Warm Edge
    Both Cavity- Argon Filled
    Glass U Value – 0.6 W/m²K
    Whole Window U Value – 0.9 W/m²K
    Energy Rating “A+”

I think you've a very high price there for the u-value you are getting. Pm me details of what suppliers you've gone to and I can pm you who I've gone too. I've got quotes from 5 to 6 places and have it narrowed down to two now.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭L driver

prfeen wrote:
    15k covers about 24 windows and 4 doors and a sunroom

the cost of the 1.2 is 20K
    Hi,
    They must have big windows in their sales office:D Shop around, as others are saying go for overall u value of below 1. These figures seem excessive, are your windows unusual shapes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 confused....

Lemlin wrote: »
    I have 28 windows, 3 doors and a set of French doors. Current price I'm getting for the window spec outlined below is £9700 which is about €11800. They are woodgrain effect uPVC.

Frames are 70mm front to back
    Internally Glazed
    Triple Glazed (42mm Thick)
    Internal Pane – Soft Coat Low E
    Centre Pane – Soft Coat Low E
    External Pane – Float Glass
    Spacer Bar- Warm Edge
    Both Cavity- Argon Filled
    Glass U Value – 0.6 W/m²K
    Whole Window U Value – 0.9 W/m²K
    Energy Rating “A+”

I think you've a very high price there for the u-value you are getting. Pm me details of what suppliers you've gone to and I can pm you who I've gone too. I've got quotes from 5 to 6 places and have it narrowed down to two now.

Hi Lemlin

WOuld you mind pm'ing me the name of your supplier.
    That seems like a great price.
    Thanks.

Hi Lemlin

WOuld you mind pm'ing me the name of your supplier.
    That seems like a great price.
    Thanks.

PM sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

That sounds very steep to me, if your talking about 24 normal size uPVC windows. For the price difference now I think triple glazing is probably worth it. Id defintely look around some more, get some more quotes, I've seen huge variations in windows on my own build, and a bit of haggling seems to get your very far with Window companys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭alan123

PM sent.
    Me too Lemin. Im looking at changing the front door and having the windows adjusted. Can you pm me your supplier please.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭tfer

could you pm me too please, that price seems very good

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭kboc

PM sent.

me too please. i'm well impressed by that spec and price. thanks

Private messages sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭creedp

I'm in the process of obtaining quotes for windows at present. Originally I was going for black pvc and got a quote of approx €17k for 24 windows and 3 doors plus a french window/sliding door although it was for treble glazed insluated frame windows with a quoted U value of 0.8. However my wife happenned to see aluclad windows installed by a friend and wanted them! Sought a couple of quotes from suppliers of Danish/Austrian manufacturers and prices ranged from €27 to €34k. Although the latter prices includes for a 3m(w) x 2.3m(h) sliding door. The aluclad prices seem very expensive especially when we are looking at double glazed units with a 1.2 U value.

Given the what would seem very good value quote you received Lemin I would appreciate if you would send me the detail by PM please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭AdamAntsy

Just one thing I contacted the supplier referred to by Lemlin - they won't cover all of Ireland, my build is in Co Laois so if you're south of there it may not be a runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

creedp wrote: »
    I'm in the process of obtaining quotes for windows at present. Originally I was going for black pvc and got a quote of approx €17k for 24 windows and 3 doors plus a french window/sliding door although it was for treble glazed insluated frame windows with a quoted U value of 0.8. However my wife happenned to see aluclad windows installed by a friend and wanted them! Sought a couple of quotes from suppliers of Danish/Austrian manufacturers and prices ranged from €27 to €34k. Although the latter prices includes for a 3m(w) x 2.3m(h) sliding door. The aluclad prices seem very expensive especially when we are looking at double glazed units with a 1.2 U value.

Given the what would seem very good value quote you received Lemin I would appreciate if you would send me the detail by PM please.
    Show her the cost of them and see is that what she wants? Tell her you want a Ferrari, doesn't mean you can have it though :D

AdamAntsy wrote: »
    Just one thing I contacted the supplier referred to by Lemlin - they won't cover all of Ireland, my build is in Co Laois so if you're south of there it may not be a runner.

Will they cover yours AdamAntsy?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭AdamAntsy

No - they were not prepared to go that far south to fit, but he did mention that they will supply to anyone. I need both though!

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭ayeboy

Hi Lemlin,

You couldn't PM mee too please? Much appreciated. BTW i'd get on to them if i was you and look for a wee bit of commission!

Cheers/Kevin

• Registered Users Posts: 9 js2010

Hi Lemlin,

Would you mind PMing me as well with the name of your supplier:D,

Thanks,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Scartbeg

I did a rough heat loss calculation for double vs. triple glazed for my own house and the extra cost was not justified - in my case the payback would be almost 30 years.

(Total area of glass) x (diff in U value) x (ave temp diff) = ave reduction in heat loss, in watts

e.g 30m2 x 0.4 x 10 degC = 120W

Divide by 1000 to get kW, then multiply this by the number of hours in a year to get the number of kWh that would be saved over a year due to this reduced heat loss.

i.e 0.12 kW x 24 x 265 = 1050 kwh

1050 kWh x €0.16 = €168 per year saving in heating costs (using worst case electric heating - if using oil/pellets etc then the savings would be less)

I'm open to correction on the above, but I think these figures are in the right ball park. Of course it's not always about payback - the improved sound insulation of TG may be a consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭bikerboy_ie

In case anybody else is interested. I had my windows installed a few weeks ago. Triple glazed with an overall uvalue of 0.8 woodgrain effect pvc. For 26 windows, 2 doors and a four part sliding door €11500 inc VAT. Very happy with them so far.

In case anybody else is interested. I had my windows installed a few weeks ago. Triple glazed with an overall uvalue of 0.8 woodgrain effect pvc. For 26 windows, 2 doors and a four part sliding door €11500 inc VAT. Very happy with them so far.

Who was your supplier Bikerboy?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,579 ✭✭✭kingshankly

22 windows backhand front door,French doors and garage side door £6400
    Black PVC grain effect

• Advertisement

Who was your supplier Bikerboy?

Grady Joinery in Mayo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 confused....

22 windows backhand front door,French doors and garage side door £6400
    Black PVC grain effect

Kingshankly

You did well there, Do you mind me asking where you got those form,?

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

Got a quote myself for 23 PVC windows, no doors.

For double glazing U Value 1.5 €5,200 +VAT
    For triple glazing U Value 0.8 €8,400 +VAT

Both quotes from Munster Joinery.

Lemin/kingshankly could you post up or PM me who you got the quotes from

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Conman1

I think anyone comparing prices here should state the amount of m2 of glass in your order as this will provide a better comparison. Just an observation.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

Approx m2 of glass for above 23 windows is 33m2

About 48m2 of glass including the glazing in the doors

Conman1 wrote: »
    I think anyone comparing prices here should state the amount of m2 of glass in your order as this will provide a better comparison. Just an observation.

Would the m2 be on my plans? I don't know it off hand.

Would the m2 be on my plans? I don't know it off hand.

Probably not. I got my figure from the window schedule and subtracted the area of frame from the total window area.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,579 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Kingshankly

You did well there, Do you mind me asking where you got those form,?

No problem not sure about naming companies on here but go to hilltown in county down.
    My house is a first build and exempt from vat so the price I quoted doesn't include vat,not sure about rating,or if it's triple glazed tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,043 ✭✭✭✭muffler

No problem not sure about naming companies on here
    Posting up names in this forum (prices/costs) is acceptable subject of course to people having no connection with the business firm involved.

Advertisement