Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows cost

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

No problem not sure about naming companies on here but go to hilltown in county down.
    My house is a first build and exempt from vat so the price I quoted doesn't include vat,not sure about rating,or if it's triple glazed tbh

Any Northern Ireland price shouldn't include VAT. My price doesn't either. VAT isn't charged on windows in the North.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭sas

Lemlin wrote: »
    Any Northern Ireland price shouldn't include VAT. My price doesn't either. VAT isn't charged on windows in the North.

As I understand it, they are required to charge VAT at the rate that is applicable in the country to which they are selling i.e. VAT applies on your windows.

If you walk in off the street, pay them in the local currency and pick the windows up yourself then you will not be charged the VAT as they will have no idea where they are going and can safely assume that you live near by.

This is how it's supposed to be done. I would doubt how often it happens however.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Not sure about that I was asked was this a first build to see was I vat exempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭newhouse

:confused: have not yet made a decision on windows and it's getting ridiculous now but for standard off-white uPVC casement windows has anybody ever dealt with Walshs in Limerick? Got three quotes: munster, gradys and walshs. Munster are out because I don't like the colour so am undecided between the other two - there is a price difference but i want these windows to last my lifetime... i'm not going through another housebuild again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

I would try Dalgan Industries as well, very good windows although may be more expensive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Poco90

Lemlin,
    If you don't mind could you send me details of where you got your windows?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭freshfruit

Lemlin, could you Pm where you got your windows. Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭ELP

Any chance of adding me to that list that wants your supplier details Lemlin.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 40 2sounds

Just some info. Its been a while since i was on here. After much procrastination re this windows thing Im about to order windows from Latvia. I was set on a supplier here in dublin. we had some large sliding spans and a postless corner which restricted me to only a few suppliers. Long story short , my architect visited a factory in Latvia recently and was very impressed with the product. Weve been going through the details and the fine print but so far everything looks good. I will be placing the order next week with delivery mid january. Im planning to visit the factory with my architect in early january. the Product is 60% less that what I was being quoted here. Now there are transport costs (€1500) for half a container and labour costs also(im bringing over two of their guys to fit) but over all its a no brainer. Weve tracked down customers here in Ireland and the experience has all been good.

So heres the company... I cant vouch for them at present nor am I saying this will suit everyone but watch this space and Ill report back with my experience.

http://www.stali.lv/en

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Dromardabu

Hi Lemlin,
    Can you PM the name of the company you got that quote from please. Seems quite good to me.

Cheers
    Dromardabu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭braftery

VAT on windows.

In the republic of Ireland the VAT rate on windows by an end user is as follows;

Supply and Install 13.5%
    Supply only 21%

The purchase of windows from any other jurisdication by an end user requires the end user to pay the VAT rate applicable in the country of origin.

Currently in the UK there is a scheme which alters the standard rate (17.5%) applicable to 0% for new homes built in the UK.

Purchasers from ROI should be charged the normal rate (17.5%) as they do not qualify under the UK scheme.

This scheme creates an unusual situation, causes a loss to Revenue and is likely to be considered a method by both seller and purchaser to avoid tax.

There is a real risk that Revenue in Ireland may take the view that the end user (purchaser) is liable for the applicable VAT Rate in ROI (13.5% if supplied and installed or 21% if supplied only) as they have avoided paying VAT in the other jurasdiction.

There is no time limit on Revenue deciding to take such an action.

Conman1 wrote: »
    I think anyone comparing prices here should state the amount of m2 of glass in your order as this will provide a better comparison. Just an observation.

This kind of comparison doesnt really work.

Fixed windows cost less than opening windows
    Doors cost more per sq mtr than windows
    Georgian bars cost more than simple single sash windows.

it is possible to buy 75 sq mtr of windows for less than 50 sq mtr depending on the mix of window and door types, the design and the materials used in the windows and doors.

In fact talking to QS's on jobs, they find it very difficult to compare window quotes that have all been priced off the same drawings.

They complain that the window companies make different determinations about the best package suitable and often exploit the lack of information on the drawings to reduce the package price by offering fixed units in places that they think they can get away with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

kboc wrote: »
    These posts were moved from this thread for 2 reasons

1. In this sub forum company names are allowed . So no poor divil need be swamped with pm requests
    2. To restore the integrity of the original thread .

SB

Sounds quite expensive in current climate. i would get another 2 prices from reputable installers. a u-value of 1.6 is kinda seen as the basic spec now.

try ulster misfit windows in monaghan regardless of the name they have windows that are misfit in sizes or will manufacture any type window.excellent quality and cheap

My supplier is Swish Windows in Cookstown in Tyrone.
    Windows have all now been delivered and installed and look very well. Robert in there looked after me. They will supply to all over Ireland but will only supply and fit to areas around Ulster. He mentioned to me that Meath is about as far as they go South for supply and fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Howsa

I am looking at replacing old aluminium windows in Dublin and the price and spec quoted by you seems very good - I would much appreciate it if you could forward the name of the supplier and installer. Thanking you.

I have 28 windows, 3 doors and a set of French doors. Current price I'm getting for the window spec outlined below is £9700 which is about €11800. They are woodgrain effect uPVC.

Frames are 70mm front to back
    Internally Glazed
    Triple Glazed (42mm Thick)
    Internal Pane – Soft Coat Low E
    Centre Pane – Soft Coat Low E
    External Pane – Float Glass
    Spacer Bar- Warm Edge
    Both Cavity- Argon Filled
    Glass U Value – 0.6 W/m²K
    Whole Window U Value – 0.9 W/m²K
    Energy Rating “A+”

I think you've a very high price there for the u-value you are getting. Pm me details of what suppliers you've gone to and I can pm you who I've gone too. I've got quotes from 5 to 6 places and have it narrowed down to two now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭uptowngirly

My supplier is Swish Windows in Cookstown in Tyrone.
    Windows have all now been delivered and installed and look very well. Robert in there looked after me. They will supply to all over Ireland but will only supply and fit to areas around Ulster. He mentioned to me that Meath is about as far as they go South for supply and fit.

He gave that information in the post directly before you :D

If you read through the thread you will find a couple more recommendations - and you could PM Brianraftery as well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 leedsutd11

alan123 wrote: »
    Me too Lemin. Im looking at changing the front door and having the windows adjusted. Can you pm me your supplier please.

could you send to me too - new too this so dont know if this gonna post or not

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭supermilk1

The story with windows down here is that Vat is the killer.theres no doubt about it a triple glazed 42mm unit is a serious job if you have the money. The thing with U value is that an double glazed A rated window , U 1.5 is still an excellent window. Prices vary because of the style of the window.A standard window with a top hung sash is far cheaper that a same size window with 2 rails, 2 top hung sash,2 side hung sash and a crystal cut toughened glass,so basically every house can vary by huge ammounts because of its style!Also something to look out for with windows the quality of the fixings i.e. the hinges, locks, handles. Cheap hinges will break your heart over time....you will have draughts and your beatiful triple glazed A+ rated windows that cost a fortune wont have the U Values you payed for. Also you should note the insulated windows give up strength for heat efficency.This is because the internal reinforced plastic or aluminium frame is replaces with foam. Personally the best type of window thats affordable,efficent,hassle free,durable is a PVC A rated 28mm unit,internally glazed,plastic reinforced frame with quality furniture(hinges and handles).Cant go wrong. Also,dont put a letterbox in your PVC door because your U value will go straight out with all your heat!!Buy a free standing one!Different companies offer different qualities.Some have brilliant fixings with an average unit and others vice versa.Some are rough manufacturers but are cheap suppliers and they all have different length warranty and back up services. Etc.Dont fall into the trap that because you have a great price on pvc windows that you done well for yourself.you could be better off with polythene as windows than some of the stuff thats out there. All the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭liamolaighin

Im looking for 22 windows, sunroom windows, 2 doors and a wall of glass for kitchen. My spec is 0.8 u-value and I'm trying to stick to this to achieve overall spec for low energy house. Ive got a quote from Munster Joinery in Cork for €15,500 for all of the above but I have yet to get confirmation about whether this is an average u-value frame & glass or not. I'm going to Grady joinery this week as my cousin dealt with them this year and was extremely satisfied. Was wondering if anyone can tell me are both of these companies comparable. I will of course look more into the airtighness, locking systems, seals etc on whatever windows i buy as a lot of companies out there are quick to knock these elements of the competitions windows. Is there a company out there who simply have the best quality window out there in that price range or is it much of a muchness until you climb into much higher price range?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭supermilk1

Im looking for 22 windows, sunroom windows, 2 doors and a wall of glass for kitchen. My spec is 0.8 u-value and I'm trying to stick to this to achieve overall spec for low energy house. Ive got a quote from Munster Joinery in Cork for €15,500 for all of the above but I have yet to get confirmation about whether this is an average u-value frame & glass or not. I'm going to Grady joinery this week as my cousin dealt with them this year and was extremely satisfied. Was wondering if anyone can tell me are both of these companies comparable. I will of course look more into the airtighness, locking systems, seals etc on whatever windows i buy as a lot of companies out there are quick to knock these elements of the competitions windows. Is there a company out there who simply have the best quality window out there in that price range or is it much of a muchness until you climb into much higher price range?

You are looking at triple glazed windows if it's .8 u value you require.yes munster have a serious tiple glazed window range called future proof. They are a superb window and very impressive to look at.90mm thick frame I think.my only fear is that over time the weight of the sashes will cause trouble due to the weight of them.but you will Pay for them!!o Grady have a very good window also in triple glazed that will meet your requirements.swish windows are a fantastic triple glazed window that are fairly new to the rep. Of Ireland but popular up the north and uk and the supplier for these windows here have an excellent hinge to address weight issues.spectus would be another lovely window that will meet your requirements that I'd recommend.very pleasant on the eye and will stay White unlike some of the bigger suppliers stuff.for value I would recommend spectus ar swish supplied by the small outfit because small fitter outfits receive a discount from their manufacturers and they can in turn pAss it onto the customer.they don't have to be paying for a rep on the roads or a secretary in the office to add to your costs.maybe I'm a bit bias here but that's my argument as a fitter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭liamolaighin

could i also get the name of supplier. that sounds like a good price for that spec

• Registered Users Posts: 39 badger81

could i also get the name of supplier. that sounds like a good price for that spec

can i get the name of that supplier and any other recommendations too please

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Troy McClure

Everyone talks about the U values of windows but whats the point when doors are not as good or even comparable with U values. Companies hide this fact if you ask me. They will say there is no certification on doors. (Tell that to a draught!). When we asked for a quote for a new build it was only by chance that we discovered the sliding door that was part of our spec, was not tripple glaze in the case of O'Grady's and was not the future proof type in the case of Munster. Neither make these in a sliding door.
    We did specify, but as they could not give us what we asked for they just gave us whatever the next thing was without pointing this out to us. At least O'Grady's give a proper written broken down quotation, Munster give you a one line email from a tetchy rep that is impossible to get hold of.
    We are still going through this process but it's very frustrating and I will say this, you cant ask enough questions. We are concerned that if this is what a company is like before they make a sale what will it be like in aftersales service!
    We are weary of it at this point. The search goes on however..

As i am sure you all are aware when any company quotes you a U-Value for a range of their products, it does not mean that every version of this product range will meet or exceed the performance quoted.

It means that the test product (window): Width 1230mm x Height 1480mm achieved this rating under test conditions (either EN12567 (Hotbox test of a real product) or EN 10077 (Mathemathical method of testing the drawings)).

This is possible because every window that enters this test is the same design.

Entrance Doors are not required to have a certificate, because there is no standard in a door design, and it is impossible to create a test for a standard door product that will have any relevance to the customer.

It is possible to provide U-Value ratings for both Sliding Doors and Entrance doors using averaging methods of the component elements and in nearly all cases the very weak point of any door, sliding or entrance will be the aluminium threshold.

Alot of companies do not provide this information and may not be able to produce it for you. However some can and do !

It is possible to get Sliding systems triple glazed.

Using Lift and Slide Technology it is possible to get frame ratings as low as 1.34Wm2K and glass ratings as low as 0.7 Wm2k with Argon or 0.5 Wm2k with Krypton, approx U-Value for the Combined Unit should be between .90 to 1.05Wm2K depending on the size of the unit (bigger will be lower).

Using Tilt and Slide Technology you can get right down to passive U-Values (0.78Wm2K) that are covered by a certificate because Tilt and Slide is technically a window system. But this system has a bottom frame (80mm - 100mm) and can NOT be set flush with the floor.

Finally all of the U-Values that are quoted are based on a 20 degree temperature difference between inside and outside, given that in Ireland the difference is usually considerably less the requirement for passive standard units is not as critical.

Also having spent nearly ten years working in this industry, my personal view is that spending time and a little money on good workmanship on your site and minimising cold bridging throughout the build will reduce your fuel bills more than any amount of calculations on PHPP software.

EG: A well made and well installed double glazed window can provide a better performance to the house you live in, than a poorly made and badly installed Passive window.

You can buy the best components but if they are not put together well the house will not deliver what the software tells you.

If anyone want any more information on any of the above please PM me.

PS: to the Ops .. I hope that last line is ok to include ??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭Anita M.

If you do away with the old windows...I could really use the glass. Needs to be near a busstop. Need 3 sheets with minimum 1.08 by 43.5 cm and another smaller one.

badger81 wrote: »
    can i get the name of that supplier and any other recommendations too please

Swish Windows in Cookstown.

Advertisement