Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 year old girl having alot of accidents!!

Options
  • 23-08-2010 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

My 5 year old girl has been having alot of wee accidents in the past months.

She leaves it till the last minute to go to the loo and then has an accident.

I have tried everything from giving out, taking away her toys, refusing to allow her watch tv (which isn't that often so it is a real hard punishment for her to deal with).

Today she was outside and didn't even try to make the toilet she just stood there and wet herself. She is going into Senior Infants in school.

I have just told her now that I am very dissapointed in her. I have told her that when you wee on yourself it smells and she doesn't want to be the girl everyone laughs at school. I have also told her that I will have to give her teacher a change of clothes for her incase she has an accident in school.

I feel terrible for saying those things and I really don't want to give her issues that will haunt her for years but I have reached the end of my tether with her as she never had any issues with this up till a few months ago.

Before anyone asks there has been little change in her life in the past few months it seems to me that she has just become lazy.

Anyone ever have this with their daughter?

It is worth noting that she has recently had one or two nighttime accidents.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Have you taken her to the GP for quick check re UTI/kidney infections?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I would defo take her to the g.p. make an appointment for her TODAY...

Been there and done that my self with a 7 year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

You realise OP that your reaction to the incident is probably exacerbating it!?

Bed wetting etc. is more likely to be a medical or psychological issue than a behavioural one, so I don't see how emotional blackmail is helpful.

Is she perhaps getting bullied at school (probably a bit young for that) or not getting on with the other kids/teacher?

enda1 wrote: »
    You realise OP that your reaction to the incident is probably exacerbating it!?

Bed wetting etc. is more likely to be a medical or psychological issue than a behavioural one, so I don't see how emotional blackmail is helpful.

Is she perhaps getting bullied at school (probably a bit young for that) or not getting on with the other kids/teacher?

dont think she is at school yet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

dont think she is at school yet

From OP: "She is going into Senior Infants in school"

I know its the Summer break, but it could be anxiety leading up to the return to school.

• Advertisement

enda1 wrote: »
    From OP: "She is going into Senior Infants in school"

I know its the Summer break, but it could be anxiety leading up to the return to school.

Cheers, i miss read it. Bullying can happen in J.I. its more exclusion and name calling at that age.

A trip to the gp's wont hurt and can they offer advice on how to deal with it. Personally i don't think she is lazy as kids don't like being covered in pee, it could be that she cant help it and needs a bit more loving than scolding.

I know just how frustrating it can be when your child seems to be constantly wetting themselves and you do feel like shouting at them, been there and done it myself and i would not recommend it. You can tick that off the list of mistakes Ive made.

• Administrators Posts: 14,056 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Definitely ease up on the scolding her, and punishing her for it. It may be something that she has developed that she genuinely has NO control over. Does she get upset when she realises she has done it?
    If she has just gotten lazy, then it's up to you to train her back - ask her every 10 minutes or so if she needs to go. If it's not laziness, then it's something that needs to be investigated.

A neighbour of ours had similar trouble with her son. He would just wet himself anytime anywhere, but he didn't realise it was happening, and often would only realise he had wet himself when he felt the wet/heat/cold on his trousers. I'm not exactly sure what he was diagnosed with in the end, small bladder or something. But it was medical and it wasn't his fault.

Don't give out to her - she may have no control.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 inquisitive one

i did this when i was a kid so my mum did a reward chart, on the days i had no accidents she drew a sun & on the days i had an accident she drew an umbrella. the deal was that i had a target if so many days to remain dry & when i achieved that i got something i was longing for that i wouldn't have otherwise got., in my case a tricycle, it worked a treat , i got my tricycle & mum's washing pile decreased dramatically!! had no problems from then on in. she gave me fab encouragement & praise on my dry days & on wet days said not to worry we can start again - well worth trying, i use this method with my daughter for various goals now & it never fails.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,484 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Why not try to ask her all the time "do you need to go". Get her in the habit of thinking about it, before it is too late. I cant imagine that the OP will be contributing to this post again, she's been left in no doubt that her method of dealing with this is not what people here would advise.

Advertisement