Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N9

Options
  • 23-08-2010 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭

http://pocketnow.com/tech-news/meego-nokia-n9-specs-leaked

there has been a bit of hype over this coming out even before the N8 is out :) and hell it does look like a mac :)
    N9 is said to be sporting high-end smartphone specs, including
    512 MB RAM,
    1 GHz processor,
    WVGA OLED touchscreen,
    64 GB of internal memory,
    720p HD video capture support,
    802.11 b/g/n,
    Bluetooth,
    HSPA+,
    GPS,
    1 GB ROM

n93resize.jpgNokia-N9-prototype-sitting-on-a-MacBook-Pro.jpg

Source

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Very nice, how much. /borat

It's a sexy piece of kit and has the hardware to match it. Hopefully meego is awesome and gets good developer support. The only things I don't like are the huge bezel around the screen (I'd prefer it to be smaller or have a bigger screen than waste the real estate) and the 64GBs storage. That storage space will probably push the price up quite a bit. I hope they release a 32GB version that's cheaper as that would be right up my street.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

i think its quite ahri :) no price tags yet since its only a leaked prototype :)

its too much like the N8 with a keyboard so lets hope over the time it will be adjusted to look like something more original...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Ah feck it. Was really looking forward to upgrading to the N9 from the N900 :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Yeah seen that. Think I might make the move to a high end android or WP7 phone now. Was gonna get an orange san francisco to tide me over until the n9 and other phones come out because I was getting bored of my n900 but I can't get one anywhere for a decent price.

Nah, gonna stick with the N900. Can't find any platform out there yet that surpasses it for the things I do day-to-day. iPhone4 has a nicer screen, but you have to transcode all your videos. Android looks okay, but I don't trust the internals (not that I trust iOS anyway). Nothing out there seems to run actual Linux under the hood, or have as much hardware in the phone for as low a price as the N900 does.

Not to mention that I *hate* onscreen keyboard thingys. I want my physical keyboard. And my lens cover. And my GPS. And my IRDA port. And my miniUSB port. And my standard miniSD card slot. And my FM radio. And my FM radio transmitter.

A capacitive touchscreen with higher resolution would be nice; so would a faster processor and longer battery life and a thinner body design, but from what I've seen, there's nothing on the market that gives me those *and* what I already have in the N900. And nothing out there is *that* much faster, or has a battery life that's *that* much longer when you actually use it.

Looks like I'll be using my N900 till I run it into the ground.
    And then maybe buying another one.
    Bother.

• Advertisement

Sparks wrote: »
    Nah, gonna stick with the N900. Can't find any platform out there yet that surpasses it for the things I do day-to-day. iPhone4 has a nicer screen, but you have to transcode all your videos. Android looks okay, but I don't trust the internals (not that I trust iOS anyway). Nothing out there seems to run actual Linux under the hood, or have as much hardware in the phone for as low a price as the N900 does.

Not to mention that I *hate* onscreen keyboard thingys. I want my physical keyboard. And my lens cover. And my GPS. And my IRDA port. And my miniUSB port. And my standard miniSD card slot. And my FM radio. And my FM radio transmitter.

A capacitive touchscreen with higher resolution would be nice; so would a faster processor and longer battery life and a thinner body design, but from what I've seen, there's nothing on the market that gives me those *and* what I already have in the N900. And nothing out there is *that* much faster, or has a battery life that's *that* much longer when you actually use it.

Looks like I'll be using my N900 till I run it into the ground.
    And then maybe buying another one.
    Bother.

Don't get me wrong I love my n900, it's awesome I just get bored of things quickly. :D The reason I want the san francisco is that it's a cheap way to play with android (properly play, not just mess about with for 5 minutes). If after a month or so, I don't like it, I'll just give it to someone or sell it. If I did like it I was probably gonna keep the n900 as well until I get a new higher end phone.

unfortunate. It really looked nice :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Sparks wrote: »

"Under the new strategy, MeeGo becomes an open-source, mobile operating system project. MeeGo will place increased emphasis on longer-term market exploration of next-generation devices, platforms and user experiences. Nokia still plans to ship a MeeGo-related product later this year."
    Who in their right mind would by a product supported so badly and with so little faith that its parent company dropped in in favour of WM7 and its former head of MeeGo development quit the day before the Nokia/WM7 announcement?
    "With Nokia's planned move to Windows Phone as its primary smartphone platform, Symbian becomes a franchise platform, leveraging previous investments to harvest additional value. This strategy recognizes the opportunity to retain and transition the installed base of 200 million Symbian owners. Nokia expects to sell approximately 150 million more Symbian devices in the years to come"
    Apart from all the fallout from pissed off Symbian fanboi's who the hell is going to bother with an outdated and unwanted phone os?

That press release is nothing more than Nokia spin and both these mobile OS's have gone the way of the Dodo imho.

Well, not all of us like the idea of only being able to choose whether to give Ballmer, Schmidt or Jobs our phone numbers and current location and personal photographs. So I'm sticking with maemo on my N900 for now, and I'll only get an N9 if I can run MeeGo on it.

He said from his Linux-based laptop on a PHP message board running via FreeBSD, Apache, MySQL and a dozen other free open-source software packages...

• Advertisement

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Sparks you can look at the Android code if you like, it runs on linux too. Everything you can do with N900 you can do with Android, some manufacturers make it difficult tho by locking it down, just avoid these ones (motorola).

It's not the linux kernel srysly78, it's a fork. They threw out all the linux userspace stuff (apparently 20 years of design and debugging is all wrong, and Google can write it themselves far better, even though their work has been slated as braindead at embedded systems conferences). Plus, you can't fix it, you can only look at it. You can't submit patches.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Right but wrong :) You can just install full linux userland, so what are you waffling on about? Ok, so it doesn't come with full linux out of the box, and needs some modding. Big deal! With Nokia you gotta mod the phone anyway to get it to actually work :)

I have full debian environment on my android phone, I can run gcc, apt-get or anything I like. And I had all this before the N900 was even released, it isn't special.

"They threw out the userland stuff": LOL. Maybe because it isn't needed in a smartphone? You are free to reinstall it! And is IS OPENSOURCE and free, no matter what your personal definition is. I don't think you have much experience with Android, please reevaluate it, your criticisms are all wrong. Just be careful you get a phone that can be modded, some devices are indeed restricted. This is because of manufacturers, not android!

Do you really think the average consumer cares or even knows what closed/open source is?

They just want a phone with long battery life flashy animations and some apps. They don't care about the little things. They just want it to work

Advertisement