Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike-Buying Website?

• 23-08-2010 6:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭

Very easy to find websites selling cars, and they're all pretty easy to navigate, but once you click on other categories (bikes, commercials etc.) it all gets a bit confusing.

I've a bike learner permit the past while, and finally getting around to looking for one now. Don't know much about them - I know I'm best off getting a small one, for insurance reasons, but not too small or I can't sit the A test. About 150cc I think would be best. But try searching for that... best I could do was "125 - 200". And that's assuming they're advertised right.

[/rant]

...opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

150cc is a bit of an odd size - you're not going to find many bikes with that cc.

Would suggest you go for a 250cc, really it's not hugely more powerful, plus there are a lot of various styles and bikes available, go to donedeal.ie, and in the motorbike section search for "250". (Not a specific search or anything, just enter 250 in the search box).

Try this : http://www.donedeal.ie/find/motorbikes/for-sale/Ireland/250

And this, for anyone who has advertised their bike as learner legal (there'll be 125s, and restricted bigger bikes included in this one): http://www.donedeal.ie/find/motorbikes/for-sale/Ireland/learner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Now we know you're male and have a LP, all that matters now in chosing a bike is what age you are, what kind of bikes you *like*, any physical requirements (eg are you particularly big or small) and your budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

cantdecide wrote: »
    Now we know you're male and have a LP, all that matters now in chosing a bike is what age you are, what kind of bikes you *like*, any physical requirements (eg are you particularly big or small) and your budget.
    I'm 21. Not fussy about type, at least while I'm learning. Average sized, and have about a grand. Might be able to stretch to 1.5k, but I'd say that'd mean getting the insurance by the month, paying interest on it.

A friend of mine suggested a bigger, restricted bike. Said the insurance wouldn't be much different, but I think I got a quote on one a while back and it was just as extortionate as without the restriction. I'll double check that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Richie15 wrote: »
    I'm 21. Not fussy about type, at least while I'm learning. Average sized, and have about a grand. Might be able to stretch to 1.5k, but I'd say that'd mean getting the insurance by the month, paying interest on it.

A friend of mine suggested a bigger, restricted bike. Said the insurance wouldn't be much different, but I think I got a quote on one a while back and it was just as extortionate as without the restriction. I'll double check that...

You need a factory restricted bike to get cheaper insurance. Here's a GS500 for €1650 on Donedeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Chaos Marine

If you're starting off then cruisers are good for learning. They generally have heavier, lower centre-of-gravities so they're easy to balance. But if you aim for more sporty bikes the difference between one and the other can be disorientating.

• Advertisement
Advertisement