Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beginner Questions...

• 23-08-2010 6:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    A couple of beginner questions. Have looked through forums already and can't find answers!

1) Transporting Bikes:
    I have one of those yokes that sits behind saloon clipped to boot and can hold 3 bikes, with a velcro strap for each one plus some ties. Should you or should you not allow wheels the freedom to spin while car is moving? Is it better that they spin rather than too much wind being forced on one side of the wheels? Is there a max speed recommended? i.e. Can 120 km/h do any damage to the bike? Do people in general fix both the front and rear of their bike(s) to the rack in addition to the standard straps?

2) Washing Bike Gear
    Having recently gotten into the hobby/sport I'm frustrated by how much of it seems to require handwashing, and I'd rather take the laxy machine-route to be honest! That said, I don't want to do serious damage to clothing that has cost me enough to buy! Is the general thinking that the list below are absolutely grand to go through the wash or should only ever be handwashed?
    1) Cycle Jerseys
    2) Base Layers
    3) Padded Shorts
    4) Gloves

Any advice much appreciated! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

g0g wrote: »
    2) Washing Bike Gear
    Having recently gotten into the hobby/sport I'm frustrated by how much of it seems to require handwashing, and I'd rather take the laxy machine-route to be honest! That said, I don't want to do serious damage to clothing that has cost me enough to buy! Is the general thinking that the list below are absolutely grand to go through the wash or should only ever be handwashed?
    1) Cycle Jerseys
    2) Base Layers
    3) Padded Shorts
    4) Gloves

Any advice much appreciated! :)
    All of these go through the machine at 30 for me. The only thing that doesn't is my rain jacket as I'm not sure how the detergent will affect the waterproofing.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭keenan110

I usually put a tie through the front and back wheels to stop any movement. As far as i know there is no problem doing 120km/h with bikes on the rack, it's never damaged my bikes before anyway. If the bike is secure it should be fine at any speed.

I was most of my gear in the washing machine at 30degrees and its fine, although i hand wash cycling caps!

Hope this is of some use to you. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I send everything into the washing machine but i don't use powder. Everything is tumble dried. I wash waterproofs at a low temperature and don't dry.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

I use this to wash waterproofs. But for Goretex stuff i use this after to renew the waterproofness then tumble dry it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

keenan110 wrote: »
    But for Goretex stuff i use this after to renew the waterproofness then tumble dry it.

just dont make the mistake I did and use this stuff on any breathable goretex stuff (i.e. wicking lining).... :(

• Advertisement

just dont make the mistake I did and use this stuff on any breathable goretex stuff (i.e. wicking lining).... :(

I've used it plenty of times on breathable stuff and this has never happened to me before!:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

keenan110 wrote: »
    I've used it plenty of times on breathable stuff and this has never happened to me before!:confused:

it waterproofs the inside too and turns the jacket into a sweatbox. did it to a 400 quid jacket i use for hiking. it wore out eventually thank god ! use the spray on waterproofing for anything with a liner i'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭g0g

Nice one thanks for the replies. In relation to the washing machine I just thought that things like base layers might have something inside them that helps wick away sweat that might be damaged. This is gonna save a whole lot of handwashing now! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I use a ratcheting luggage strap to tighten the bikes to the rack for extra peace of mind. If you're travelling on the continent make sure you have lights and number plate visible or have a trailer bar mounted. I once got done by French police about 50km from Cherbourg for lack of same...

Only damage you're likely to do is if you mount the bikes too low and hit speed bumps or steep ramps on car ferries.

Advertisement