Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternatives for parts.

Options
  • 23-08-2010 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭

Hey all! I'm planning on building a PC soon and i'm just wondering A) What you all think of these parts and B) Some alternatives you may want to share. Also could you reccommend a better place to buy the parts since i've read some threads about this website and they're pretty much all complaints so i'm not going to use them.
    Thanks! :D

Motherboard
    Processor
    Graphics Card
    RAM
    HDD
    ODD
    Case
    PSU
    OS

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Looks good enough, why Dabs UK though? :confused:

Also, taking into account the currency conversion I suspect the graphics card, case and OS are a wee bit overpriced... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Solitaire wrote: »
    Looks good enough, why Dabs UK though? :confused:

Also, taking into account the currency conversion I suspect the graphics card, case and OS are a wee bit overpriced... :o

The parts were spec'd up for me on another forum and they linked me to the uk site. Some threads on this forum were saying that dabs has pretty bad service which is why i was wondering if anyone knew a better site.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I'm not sure that dabs.com let you ship to Ireland any more - I think you have to use dabs.ie, which has a slightly smaller selection. I've used them loads of times and haven't had any major problems. Their prices can be good, but they go up and down and you do not want to be in a hurry as their items can be out of stock. I reckon they keep almost nothing in stock and base their prices on the current market - hence the price fluctuations.

If you're a student or have kids at school, you can get windows 7 pro for €45.45 @ software4students.ie

Alternatives I've used are elara and komplett. Elara have great customer service; komplett have free delivery at the moment.

The other popular place is hardwareversand.de. Cheaper (because of lower VAT) but shipping cost you €30 and you need to do a bank transfer with the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Monotype wrote: »
    I'm not sure that dabs.com let you ship to Ireland any more - I think you have to use dabs.ie, which has a slightly smaller selection. I've used them loads of times and haven't had any major problems. Their prices can be good, but they go up and down and you do not want to be in a hurry as their items can be out of stock. I reckon they keep almost nothing in stock and base their prices on the current market - hence the price fluctuations.

If you're a student or have kids at school, you can get windows 7 pro for €45.45 @ software4students.ie

Alternatives I've used are elara and komplett. Elara have great customer service; komplett have free delivery at the moment.

The other popular place is hardwareversand.de. Cheaper (because of lower VAT) but shipping cost you €30 and you need to do a bank transfer with the money.

Thanks, I'll have a look at elara and hardwareversand.

I'm a student myself but how does software4students work? I had a look at it and they have windows 7 ultimate for 115 euro! That seems to good to be true to me...
    Edit: Ah they're upgrades only, might not work for me then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

It's on the microsoft website, so it's not a scam.
    http://www.microsoft.com/ireland/softwareforschools/

I think you can do an upgrade from a clean install, but I haven't got time to research it just now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement