Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will silicone stick rock??

• 23-08-2010 7:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭

I want to build a hide/bridge type thing for my tank, hoping to make it from shale rock. Will silicone stick it together or what adhesive can you reccomend?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

You can get an epoxy putty developed specifically for aquatic tank stuff like you want to do. http://www.marinedepot.com/D_D_AquaScape_Aquarium_Epoxy_4oz_Reef_Glue_Epoxy_Putty_for_Saltwater_Aquariums-ROWA_USA-RW2111-FIMTEP-vi.html You can also get superglue cyanoacrylate based stuff. They say its safe, but Id be more dubious about that personally.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Wibbs wrote: »
    You can get an epoxy putty developed specifically for aquatic tank stuff like you want to do. http://www.marinedepot.com/D_D_AquaScape_Aquarium_Epoxy_4oz_Reef_Glue_Epoxy_Putty_for_Saltwater_Aquariums-ROWA_USA-RW2111-FIMTEP-vi.html You can also get superglue cyanoacrylate based stuff. They say its safe, but Id be more dubious about that personally.

Cyanoacrylate super glue is perfectly safe to use, I have used it in my reef tank many times for gluing corals. What's more it will instantly bond in water, so you could glue two pieces of rock together and dip it in the water and they will have bonded.

However, if you are sticking large pieces of rock together it would be better to use the putty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 966 ✭✭✭heffo500

I would recommend Tec 7. Its a bit dearer than silicone but worth it. You can use it underwater and it bonds everything.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Noopti wrote: »
    Cyanoacrylate super glue is perfectly safe to use, I have used it in my reef tank many times for gluing corals. What's more it will instantly bond in water, so you could glue two pieces of rock together and dip it in the water and they will have bonded.
    Would you not be concerned with the cyanide byproducts given off in the curing? That has been my concern. Though clearly if corals can take it that's defo not an issue. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

Thanks, I think I will try to get some of the putty. Does anyone know where I could get it in Dublin, or online that would ship to Dublin cheaply?

I'm also looking to buy a new filter and some other bits and pieces. I was planning on ordering from www.zooplus.ie unless you guys can reccomend somewhere else??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,771 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Silicone is grand for sticking rocks.Try get the "foodsafe" stuff--that way you know your fish will be fine.

Ive made hides for my herps using rocks and the food grade silicone.

Never had a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Wibbs wrote: »
    Would you not be concerned with the cyanide byproducts given off in the curing? That has been my concern. Though clearly if corals can take it that's defo not an issue. :)

Initially I was worried because I thought surely something like this will affect the water chemistry. But after reading lots of other peoples experiences using it I bit the bullet and ever since I have had no issues. Also my tank is only 14 gallons so would be even more susceptible to water chemistry issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

heffo500 wrote: »
    I would recommend Tec 7. Its a bit dearer than silicone but worth it. You can use it underwater and it bonds everything.

That stuff is like duct tape in a tube, it's wicked! Not sure if it's safe for fish tho...

Advertisement