Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting College 2010: So what are you doing and where?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 esween

Im doing general nursing in St angelas, sligo at 29 years of age..... really hope there is a good few mature students in the class:) gonna be a long 4 years but looking forward to it and nervous at the same time...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

I'm 25 starting Social Science in UCD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭sophia25

I'm 41 starting a Msc in Equality Studies in UCD. Should be fun as a single Mom to a 15yr old who'll be doing his JC and a tornado of a 2 year old!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

redout wrote: »
    Good man - turned out alright in the end ;)
    It sure did man, cheers and Good Luck to ya! :) Cant wait to start now :D
    sligolad wrote: »
    + 1 and i'm 30, best of luck to you, you going doing the mature student course??
    And Good Luck to you too!:) I'm not sure how many mature places were reserved as its a brand new course, I'll find out though when I start...its probably a small amount like the same course in DCU, which has 5 places for matures.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Changed title and stickied! -Larianne :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Little Miss Sunshine

Im 27 and going to be doing Multimedia in DCU. Very excited and a little nervous too!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭hippy_hi

Starting Socail Studies in Waterford and dont know a sinner doing it...really nervous too, and worried about how much time it will take to study being a single mother and also working part time but hey we all have to make sacrafices to do what we want to do eh :P

Best of luck to everyone too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Best of luck everyone. I'm doing Social Work in UCC. I also got offered Social Care in CIT. I wasn't sure for ages which I would actually do, but after a lot of thinking and talking to people I decided on the Social Work. Dreading it to be honest, even though there were lots of lovely people at the interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭rachums

Good luck to everyone!

I got into midwifery in UCD, delighted! im 24, feel a big bag of nerves cause of everything! but i am also very happy! YAY!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭MaMAme

Starting MA in art therapy in CIT & I'm 50 :eek: . LOts of luck, & some laughter too to everyone. One life to lead & all that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Jesabel129

Doing an Arts Degree in NUIG, so excited!! (But nervous at the same time!) Hope im able for it and i havnt bitten off more than i can chew!!!! im 28 and havn't studied in 10 years:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Macca3000

I'm doing Creative Digital Media in ITB

27 but look 16 apparently (I still get asked for I.D.) should be interesting so.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 robydrupo

I'm 28 and I'm doing Information Systems @ tcd

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭geoffraffe

B.Ed in Pats. Should be a blast.

I was talking to an 18 year old girl at the picnic at the weekend and when I told her I was going back as a mature student she replied "Don't worry, there's loads of people your age that go back for that course".

So after I left a gypsy curse on her family I decided that if I'm going down, I'm going down in a blaze of glory!!!!

The only thing that's keeping me going is that Matthew Perry passed as an 18 year old in that school in Beverly Hills 90210. He had a leather jacket and convinced everyone that he was the same age as them, even though he obviously wasn't. People in that show became so awkward with the fact that a 40 year old was pretending to be an 18, that they just ignored it. I'm going to go with the same tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

Luke Perry! OMG you can't be that old if you can't remember that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭taytothief

Starting in GMIT Castlebar on Monday. Accounting and Financial Management. I'm 25 but I feel like a child with first day nerves.:D Gonna get my mammy to pack me a lunch box:p

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

1st week down in Mary I Limk doing BA Arts, 39, met loads of other maturies thankfully, but not had a single conversation yet with any 18yr olds!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Curlz

Adult Nursing at Glasgow Caledonian University :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭kukazhina

Business in Lcfe,23, love it:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 karenf123

:D hey! Starting i Froebel next week as mature student , to do primary school teaching, anyone know of any parking around blackrock?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

Hi all! Starting a BA/Bsc in Design and Innovation at the Open University, probably starting the "Discovering Psychology" module in November, then starting the module "Design thinking: creativity for the 21st century" in February.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Knit wit

Doing BA in Early childhood studies and practice in Nuig ... Feel smarter already!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 davidblake

BBS in UL met a few mature students so far so not so bad, couple of conversations with the 18 year olds but trying to avoid.
    Have a group assignment worth 50% of the final grade in one subject so not sure how that will pan out with the 18 yr old will have to cross my fingers and hope the ones i'm with are more sensible than i was at that age!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

davidblake wrote: »
    BBS in UL met a few mature students so far so not so bad, couple of conversations with the 18 year olds but trying to avoid.
    Have a group assignment worth 50% of the final grade in one subject so not sure how that will pan out with the 18 yr old will have to cross my fingers and hope the ones i'm with are more sensible than i was at that age!!

try not to expect the worst from them or avoid them on account of their age. I had a similar "hmm" moment when I realised I have group assignment for visual culture with younger classmates but all you can do is your own bit and so far they're as busy working away as me, thankfully.
    We all got our place on the course fairly. In some situations they might be going "****, older person they'll mammy my work/won't be able to use a pc/be bossy/stressed out all the time" ect, these were common older student sterotypes the first time I went to college. It cuts both ways.

I've started art college and I'm enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Smokin_Aces

Film Production in Colasite Dhulaigh. I bloody love it...

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

good to hear most people are getting on well! and, yeh, don't fear the youngies, they/re more afraid of you than you are of them!

[i'm a 4th year, nearly quailified, so i've had all my teething problems :)]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 mausram

Trekmad wrote: »
    OK, I'm not that old (28).

But I still don't want have a face book a/c :o

really???? LOL sorry for laughing. just thought that everyone has face book account noways. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 mausram

im 25. wanted to do architecture but cant afford it. theres day studies only. so so so sad. i have diploma in interior design. im going to do part time BA (hons) in business (accounting) or business (marketing). i know its completely different from that i originally want, but you have to stay realistic right?
    but i cant decide which college should i choose, im not irish so its even harder for me to choose one. aaaaa its frustrating hahaaaaa any help please??!! im choosing between National College of Ireland (NCI, HETAC accredited ), Institute of Public Administration (IPA, NUI accredited) and Dublin Business School (DBS, HETAC, University of Wales accredited, Dublin Business School formed a partnership with Liverpool Business School, part of Liverpool John Moores University). i read lots of negative feedback about the last mentioned. :/ thank all of you who will give me a bit of help. :)
    Ach i have forgotten UCD Quinn school of business. they do Diploma in Business Studies / Bachelor of Business Studies (part-time). its more home studies because its only Six weekends of classes per academic year. im not such a fan of that but its UCD so i took into consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭louloubella

Hiya. How is GCU going for you? I am going to an interview there next week! I want to do the msc in occupational therapy.
    Any information- good or bad- would be brilliant.

• Advertisement
Advertisement