Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless broadband options for student in cork?

• 23-08-2010 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

So I was thinking of staying at Brookfield student accomodation this year but there is no phoneline there- what is the most reliable wireless internet available? All I need is to be able to play poker on it- so consistency is what`s needed. Had 02 mobile internet last year and that was too unreliable- am i better off going for somewhere with a fixed connection altogether or is there an adequate wireless solution available? Ty

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

There is no such thing as "reliable" and Mobile Wireless. (O2, 3, Meteor, Vodafone or Imagine's WiMax)

Fixed Wireless
    UPC
    DSL (phone line )
    Fibre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Wireless broadband is something like Metro or Breeze. Mobile Internet access, like Imagine Wimax, any 3G operator, Clearwire, etc, are all sub-broadband spec, and completely unreliable. If that's what you want though, then you're going to have to try it see. There is no way to determine which one is best, or what will even work, before you try it out yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Dave47

Breeze is now under imagine yeah? What about satellite- is that any good?

btw is it possible to get broadband from UPC without phoneline? Also, is it expensive to install phoneline?

UPC doesn't use a phone line at all. They provide a phone service though. They use the Cable TV coax. TV package is optional.

Similarly Digiweb Metro doesn't use a phone line at all. They provide a phone service though. They use a similar system to UPC, but only run the coax to a Radio box on your wall or chimney. A Cable TV area is not required.

Satellite works nearly anywhere but is more expensive to install, minimum latency is high at about 800ms, but with a professional system on a 95cm can be reliable. Cap is much lower unless you pay much more.

• Advertisement

ty watty good post- so i guess its a question of availibilty there- i dont think metro is available, checked website. Anyone know if that UPC broadband is available in cork?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Dave47 wrote: »
    Anyone know if that UPC broadband is available in cork?

It is, but it depends on where exactly you'd be. You'll need to check with UPC for exact availability.

Dave47 wrote: »
    ty watty good post- so i guess its a question of availibilty there- i dont think metro is available, checked website. Anyone know if that UPC broadband is available in cork?

Best to actually phone UPC and Digiweb.
    UPC is in Cork, but not all the ex Chorus Cable TV has been upgraded to Broadband. Digiweb Metro was on masts at Farmer's Cross and Barrack's Hill, maybe someplace else. Exact location is important. Then also if masts are fully subscribed, unlike Mobile or some unscrupulous operators they won't sell to more customers as that would slow the service too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Would definitely recommend UPC. I'm living in the city this year and I have their 16GB wireless and TV package. Great speed and very consistent.

Advertisement