Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Science 2010

Options
  • 23-08-2010 7:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

Anyone else starting it this year?? :D Is there many girls in the course, or whats the ratio of girls and fellas? :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

BarbiePink wrote: »
    whats the ratio of girls and fellas? :rolleyes:
    My 4th year class was about 90% guys.

Don't forget: The odds are good, but the goods are odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 BarbiePink

No way haha .. Is there only 40 in the class? Easy to make friends? :)

There's more than 40 in first year anyway (or at least there was in my day... /oulwan), it's just that between people dropping out, changing courses and repeating the numbers shrink quite considerably by the time you get to the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bigred100

BarbiePink wrote: »
    Anyone else starting it this year?? :D Is there many girls in the course, or whats the ratio of girls and fellas? :rolleyes:

Friend of mine did it last year, said there is very few girls. I'm joining this year, can't wait...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I'm second year and am part of the last year who can do comp sci through science (ie I can joint major with it and Chem (My other stream) should I have some lapse in sanity) so I amn't entirely sure what the CS class's gender ratio is, but afaik there's <10 girls continuing on to do CS this year.

ie very few!

On the making friends front, try and get to know people as early as possible, and if you can, try and get to know people in Science Omnibus, being stuck in the Comp Sci building all day, everyday isn't healthy!

Fad wrote: »
    On the making friends front, try and get to know people as early as possible, and if you can, try and get to know people in Science Omnibus, being stuck in the Comp Sci building all day, everyday isn't healthy!
    Would agree with this - CS is a real bubble and it's good to get to know people outside of the course too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

On a slightly related note, would I be mad to do the processor design module as an elective?

pljudge321 wrote: »
    On a slightly related note, would I be mad to do the processor design module as an elective?

Yes. I absolutely hated it back in the day (assuming it's the 3rd year module you're referring to)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Yup thats the one, Im doing electrical engineering so its one of the modules I don't get to do. Back to looking for another elective.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Jeboa Safari

Xhristy wrote: »

Are there only 20 people doing the 4th year? How many complete the degree, or do 3 years of the course, compared to how many started in 1st year?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Tom1991

the girl numbers are quite low prob 13 doin denominated last year id say.but some were on year exchanges etc so they could be back at home.Found it tough last year getting to know people and kinda skipped as much college as i could because of it. have to repeat four modules of the course this year.so id recommend diving in with the making friends thing at the start the longer you leave it the harder it gets i found tht the hardest being a quiet bloke myself.made friends outside the class but its better to know atleast a couple of people in there makes getting help with assignments and passing time in the labs alot more enjoyable.

Are there only 20 people doing the 4th year? How many complete the degree, or do 3 years of the course, compared to how many started in 1st year?

There were about 40 of us in total, split between BSc and BA, finishing 4th year in 2009.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Jeboa Safari

There were about 40 of us in total, split between BSc and BA, finishing 4th year in 2009.

Would that be a big drop from 3rd year? Also, if you just do 3 years of the joint major course, do you get some sort of diploma or anything in computer science do you know?

A lot of the BA class would leave after third year if they wished to continue with postgraduate studies in their arts subject. If you have a GPA less than 2.48 at the end of 3rd year then you just get a BSc (General).

Would that be a big drop from 3rd year? Also, if you just do 3 years of the joint major course, do you get some sort of diploma or anything in computer science do you know?

If you dont get above a certain mark in 3rd year, you dont get into 4th year and graduate with a general BSc (level 7).

Edit:RK beat me to it >_<

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭TDOie

I think there's 2-4 girls in my year. It was difficult to get to know anyone on till near the end of this (2nd) year.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 SCD

I'm a boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

I'll be doing CS :D

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭JonB

Tom1991 wrote: »
    the girl numbers are quite low prob 13 doin denominated last year id say.but some were on year exchanges etc so they could be back at home.Found it tough last year getting to know people and kinda skipped as much college as i could because of it. have to repeat four modules of the course this year.so id recommend diving in with the making friends thing at the start the longer you leave it the harder it gets i found tht the hardest being a quiet bloke myself.made friends outside the class but its better to know atleast a couple of people in there makes getting help with assignments and passing time in the labs alot more enjoyable.
    Are you repeating Tomo? I tought you where gonna drop it. If you need help this year i'll my best to help you :)
    I found it hard to make friends in the first semester as you didn't do that much CS specific modules. But in second semester I found myself more and more in the Comp Sci building and met more people there.

• Advertisement

Anyone know what the bootcamp is in orientation?? Sounds fun!!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭E0inz

What he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

also going to be doing Computer Science this year!!! see ya's there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭MariaBabii

I cant wait to start it this year!! Whats up with the CSI bootcamp? :confused: What we doing there lol?:p

What kinda hardware are people brining to the table? I seriously need a new laptop :cool:

bigred100 wrote: »
    What kinda hardware are people brining to the table? I seriously need a new laptop :cool:

Lots of people just had netbooks last year. I assume they had desktops at home though.

I had a macbook, which worked perfectly for me, you guys'll probably be doing less moving around this year because of your modules being different, so the benefit of a netbook might be minimalised.....kinda.

Yeah, I'm seriously considering trying to get a macbook, I was recommended to get one last year when I was going to do Comp Sci, ended up repeating though.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Jack Bracken

OSI wrote: »
    Trying to dev on a netbook must have been the most enfuriating experience ever. A tiny screen coupled with a crap processor would make programming and compiling a wholly unenjoyable experience...

Even the 13" screen on my Macbook can be to small at times.
    Heh, my Samsung netbook was more than enough. The charge lasted long enough to go through all of my labs and lectures, and I'd just leave it turned on with the lid closed in my bag when going from one class to another. And you adjust to the screen size pretty quickly. Only downer is it takes aeons for Eclipse to load up. Never really waited too long for anything to compile, maybe 5 or 6 seconds for some of the bigger java apps we made.

OSI wrote: »
    Try saying that in Second, Third and Fourth year when your programming spans hundreds of line, multiple files and requires regular referencing and compiling/debugging.

Moved from an old 12" iBook to a 15" Macbook Pro in third year... that extra screen real estate was priceless. I'm going to have to say I can't imagine doing anything beyond 2nd year on a netbook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Walnut.

Can anyone tell me, does this course get more interesting or consistent in Second Year?

I found most of first year to be all over the place, it was sometimes difficult and even insanely frustrating at times with Software Engineering 1 and Computer Architecture. And the rest of the time, especially in the first semester when there were virtually no computer science modules, I was almost bored due to lack of a challenge. Am now considering switching to Engineering...

Advertisement