Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Science 2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Joneser

Walnut. wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me, does this course get more interesting or consistent in Second Year?

I found most of first year to be all over the place, it was sometimes difficult and even insanely frustrating at times with Software Engineering 1 and Computer Architecture. And the rest of the time, especially in the first semester when there were virtually no computer science modules, I was almost bored due to lack of a challenge. Am now considering switching to Engineering...

I'm going into 4th year now and I have found that the further through the course you get, the more each of the modules start to relate to each other.

Also I have found that there is a big step up between each year, so expect 2nd year to be more of a challenge than 1st year was. And then 3rd year is a lot more difficult than 2nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Walnut.

Sounds good, Joneser. Does the course involve a lot of programming? I'm still not sure what I personally am going to do. Doesn't help that after one year I feel like I still know shag all about Computer Science!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Can anyone tell me, does this course get more interesting or consistent in Second Year?

I found most of first year to be all over the place, it was sometimes difficult and even insanely frustrating at times with Software Engineering 1 and Computer Architecture. And the rest of the time, especially in the first semester when there were virtually no computer science modules, I was almost bored due to lack of a challenge. Am now considering switching to Engineering...

Science students/CS through arts got more that slightly fúcked over with SE 1 >_<

Seems to be much more real CS in 2nd year anyway. I cant wait! But my Java is still not remotely as good as I need to get, next two weeks will be fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Joneser

Sounds good, Joneser. Does the course involve a lot of programming? I'm still not sure what I personally am going to do. Doesn't help that after one year I feel like I still know shag all about Computer Science!

The course does involve more and more programming as you go along and lots of assignments which I suggest you begin as soon as you can, because if you leave them too late then it can start snowballing on you.

And as was said above me, you will get massive benefit from doing your own programming and learning different programming languages outside of the course. Android would be a good choice as it's really taking off at the moment and it is basically Java but with different libraries, C++ would also be a good choice.

You will feel like you know a lot more after 2nd year, I think 1st year is just a taster really so people know whether or not if they want to continue it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

How many Boardsies are going into 1st year CS?

Edit: I guess, "Thank" this post if you're going into 1st year, rather than streams of "Me! :D " posts :p

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bigred100

If the boardsies meet up doesn't go to plan, we should definitely do a Comp sci one.

bigred100 wrote: »
    If the boardsies meet up doesn't go to plan, we should definitely do a Comp sci one.
    I think we should have a pre-BBQ BBQ :p

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Gaeldor68

This is a question for anyone who has done second year and its about the maths modules. I am going into second year myself and I'm finding picking the maths modules difficult.

I have a core module on discrete maths and I'm wondering is there any point in me doing Graphs and Networks the maths module? by that I mean will I just be doing the same stuff again or will any new stuff I learn be useful to me.

Secondly is Mathematical Logic like Formal foundations or is it totally different? I only did the easy maths in first year and it recommends that you have done the hard maths so I'm not sure about this one.

And finally would you not recommend doing all of the 3 maths modules in the first semester or do you know anyone who did that and it turned out fine for them?

Also did anyone do the UNIX programming module and is it any good?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭JonB

Gaeldor68 wrote: »
    This is a question for anyone who has done second year and its about the maths modules. I am going into second year myself and I'm finding picking the maths modules difficult.

I have a core module on discrete maths and I'm wondering is there any point in me doing Graphs and Networks the maths module? by that I mean will I just be doing the same stuff again or will any new stuff I learn be useful to me.

Secondly is Mathematical Logic like Formal foundations or is it totally different? I only did the easy maths in first year and it recommends that you have done the hard maths so I'm not sure about this one.

And finally would you not recommend doing all of the 3 maths modules in the first semester or do you know anyone who did that and it turned out fine for them?

Also did anyone do the UNIX programming module and is it any good?

Thanks in advance.
    Discrete mathematics and Graphs and Networks are really different. Out of all the Maths modules I think Graphs and Networks is acctually a good module that relates to CS compared to some of the other maths modules. It's a grand elective also not loads of work required for it. Go to the lectures and you will have no problem with it. I couldn't tell you what Mathematical Logic is like as I didn't do it.

Other math modules I did was Linear models in the Sciences. I liked this module. Was a bit lost in it with the first month but I kept going to the lectures and the tutorials and everything came together. I found the tutor in this module really good. Managed to get an A in it also so was well chuffed.

Other module I did was Group Theory and its applications I hated the course and felt completely lost in it and out of my depth. I have to repeat it this year thankfully its not a 100% final exam like last year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

OSI wrote: »
    Make sure you do Matrices and Vectors... Will come in very handy for Computer Graphics 1 and 2...

And Unix Programming is right up there with my favourite modules. Although it has changed a bit since I did it.

Isn't Matrices and Vectors compulsory for all 1st year science students (including denominated) unless you're doing the higher maths modules. Linear Algebra and Geometry would be similar to Matrices and Vector.

Sh*t load of 9am starts. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Would it be really random to register for Animal Diversity and Evolution? :p

It seems like the majority of CompSci-related options are already core. With the Intro To Maths option required (didn't get a C3 or higher :o ), I only have 5 credits left I think...

Healium wrote: »
    Would it be really random to register for Animal Diversity and Evolution? :p

It seems like the majority of CompSci-related options are already core. With the Intro To Maths option required (didn't get a C3 or higher :o ), I only have 5 credits left I think...

You're my new best friend, congrats!!

How your schedule look?

You're my new best friend, congrats!!

How your schedule look?
    Can you not register for electives until the 11th, too? :confused:

Monday: 11-4
    Tues-Friday: 9 ~ 3/4PM

Happy that I have Monday morning off

What about you?

Edit: My Semester 2 is so bare! Two days with only one class haha. Semester 1 is 40 credits, Semester 2 is only 20 :D

Can you not register for electives until the 11th, too? :confused:

Monday: 11-4
    Tues-Friday: 9 ~ 3/4PM

Happy that I have Monday morning off

What about you?

Edit: My Semester 2 is so bare! Two days with only one class haha. Semester 1 is 40 credits, Semester 2 is only 20 :D

Same as you for semester 1, I'm doing 35 credits in 1 and 25 in 2. I haven't put down any electives, I have 60 credits from my core/option and everything is green, so yeah...:confused:

Same as you for semester 1, I'm doing 35 credits in 1 and 25 in 2. I haven't put down any electives, I have 60 credits from my core/option and everything is green, so yeah...:confused:
    Oh, the Electives count as part of the 60 credits, too? Damn, I only got to pick one module, then :( The rest were compulsory

I wanted to stick some Biology and a language in there :o

I stuck in Astronomy and Space Science haha. Can't be stuck with computers all the time...

My entire schedule is maths and computers...

• Advertisement

My entire schedule is maths and computers...
    Really? What extra option did you pick to bring you up to 60?

Really? What extra option did you pick to bring you up to 60?

Well if I looked at this right

50 credits - Core
    5 credits - that maths class for tards like us :cool:
    5 credits - Introduction to calculus (semester 2)

Well if I looked at this right

50 credits - Core
    5 credits - that maths class for tards like us :cool:
    5 credits - Introduction to calculus (semester 2)
    I've done enough Calculus to last me a lifetime :pac:

I probably should have been smart and chosen something actually related to my course, but I need something Science-y :p

Really wish I put a Science omnibus at the top of my CAO now :pac:

Ah well, better get used to 9am starts.

Ah well, better get used to 9am starts.
    I genuinely don't care once I have Monday morning off :pac:

I have two days in Semester 2 with only one class a day!

I genuinely don't care once I have Monday morning off :pac:

I have two days in Semester 2 with only one class a day!

:D

My semester 2 looks similar to that.

My module registration is all green, too. But, check the table on the right. IT still says I have to choose a minimum of 10 Elective credits. Why do we have to wait until the 11th when everyone else has chosen theirs? :p

Oh, we get an orientation sports event, and have to get sloppy seconds in return :pac:

My module registration is all green, too. But, check the table on the right. IT still says I have to choose a minimum of 10 Elective credits. Why do we have to wait until the 11th when everyone else has chosen theirs? :p

Oh, we get an orientation sports event, and have to get sloppy seconds in return :pac:

I think everyone is the same. The electives are all provisional until then.

I think everyone is the same. The electives are all provisional until then.
    Yeah, but you register first and find out if you get them on the 10th, I think. I can't even register interest in them :confused:

• Advertisement

Yeah, but you register first and find out if you get them on the 10th, I think. I can't even register interest in them :confused:

Is there a big red X??

Advertisement