Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What kind of broadcaster is Des Cahill?

• 23-08-2010 7:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭

After this weekends programmes ,anyone with a modicum of sense has to ask that question.

Now I know it's TV ,but on the Sunday game the lad always seems to feel the need to 'balance' the books.

Joe Brolly made a stupid remark about the Tyrone minors and hair styles and intimated they were like women shopping in BTs in the afternoon.

Now instead of ignoring that stupid remark,Cahill felt the need to 'defend' it and ensure the listeners and viewers that that wasn't RTE viewpoint.

FFS:confused:

Then tonight on Sport on 7 someone said that Dublin bring great colour and excitement to the game... fcuking basic common sense, of course they do.

Immediately Cahill was in to ensure the listener that so do Cork.

Pat Spillane, who is untrained as a broadcaster, would run rings around Cahill,he says things as he sees it,, not necessarily always correct, but doesn't seem to feel the need, as Cahill does ,to qualify EVERYTHING in case he might offend SOMEBODY.

Cahill spends his time cheaply sniping at people and hrrrrrrrumphing and in my opinion has not the smallest qualification to be a national anchor man, with any respect or credibility, on any serious Sports programme.

Best he can aspire to is a camp follower with 'Trap's Army' as a colour reporter and go into paroxysms when John from Finglas announces that his wife doesn't know where he is, and that he spent two weeks in a VW Combi getting to Armenia for the gayam.

What a total waste of airtime.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,367 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

esq-applause-061909-fb.jpg

Well said sir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Cahill is the just the worst sort of host/presenter. His thought process is as wooly as his haircut. Nothing he says speaks of having any sort of conviction, its always "one the one hand this and one the other hand that" Shocking blandola guff designed for slow idiots who are defeated by the buttons on their radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Heard Cahill and Spillane on tonight talking to some reporter about Gary Twigg... Des was making "jokes" about Spillane, but it was just contrived and cringeworthy... They are trying to be Off The Ball but they never can be..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Lenny Lovett

I seriously doubt Dessie is trying to emulate anyone or any other show. If anything it would be the other way round...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

mike65 wrote: »
    Cahill is the just the worst sort of host/presenter. His thought process is as wooly as his haircut. Nothing he says speaks of having any sort of conviction, its always "one the one hand this and one the other hand that" Shocking blandola guff designed for slow idiots who are defeated by the buttons on their radio.

Exactly,best suited to be 'embedded' in an away troop of Trap's army and sending back reports from far away spots like Kazakhstan about how after 15 days in a mini van which they bought in Istanbul for a fiver the intrepid sextet of Joxer/Micko/Peenie/Jem/Anto and Ciarawn finally set up camp in the The Dubbelin Town' Oooirish pub and how their bosses/wives/partners think that they went down to the Spar for some wedgies.

He can snort down 'de phoan' to his hearts content and have a 'sing-song' with his mates, thus leaving serious sports broadcasting to those with the balls to do it.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

He can snort down 'de phoan' to his hearts content and have a 'sing-song' with his mates, thus leaving serious sports broadcasting to those with the balls to do it.:mad:

you mean Ken Early? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

One of the days, RTE will kop on that Cahill has zero knowledge about sport and less again about broadcasting and that he is a waste of a seat, a waste of a job and a waste of time on whatever show he is posted. While a few people may enjoy the "human interest" story all it does in the long term is it makes the sports less important and dilutes its coverage in favour of the event junkie or band wagon fan. Stories about people bringing their cat to the game or Davy Keogh and John 3:7 sign guy may be a bit of a laugh to kids but ask him anything half way tactic related about any sport and he's stumped; quite what people see in him is amazing IMO.

Hamndegger wrote: »
    One of the days, RTE will kop on that Cahill has zero knowledge about sport and less again about broadcasting and that he is a waste of a seat, a waste of a job and a waste of time on whatever show he is posted. While a few people may enjoy the "human interest" story all it does in the long term is it makes the sports less important and dilutes its coverage in favour of the event junkie or band wagon fan. Stories about people bringing their cat to the game or Davy Keogh and John 3:7 sign guy may be a bit of a laugh to kids but ask him anything half way tactic related about any sport and he's stumped; quite what people see in him is amazing IMO.

Wouldn't quite agree he has zero knowledge about sport, it's about projecting the correct image for the programme in question.

In my opinion, what is needed from a presenter on say, a Prime Time show like the Sunday game is Insight, Knowledge,Ability to ask the right questions, and no fcuking baggage about yourself and who you support or don't support.

Cahill's claim to fame is that he peddled an ABU view on every prog. he contributed to and as such gained some credence from the numerous ABUs out there.

That's fine in the 'Summarine' (sic) or 'Newtown House' after a game,but not on national TV.

Cahill thinks he is the spokesman for the common man.

He is just letting himself down.

Market Zero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Wouldn't quite agree he has zero knowledge about sport, it's about projecting the correct image for the programme in question.

While we are both unimpressed with him, his ability to observe and analyze anything about what happens in the field of play is negligible at the best of times, even with his pet sports of GAA and soccer. Asked to speak on rugby or golf and he's lost for words...
    n my opinion, what is needed from a presenter on say, a Prime Time show like the Sunday game is Insight, Knowledge,Ability to ask the right questions, and no fcuking baggage about yourself and who you support or don't support.

Agreed. His comments are like Father Ted and the Lovely Girls bottoms; inane and useless.
    Cahill's claim to fame is that he peddled an ABU view on every prog. he contributed to and as such gained some credence from the numerous ABUs out there. That's fine in the 'Summarine' (sic) or 'Newtown House' after a game,but not on national TV.

This is another thing that gets to me about him. If Adrian Eames or Darragh Moloney or Con Murphy or Jacqui Hurley were as blatant with the decrepit jokes about liking or disliking a team they'd be out on their ear years. But sure it's Des so it's all a big laugh :mad:
    Cahill thinks he is the spokesman for the common man.

He is just letting himself down.

Market Zero.

The worst part of this all is that RTE have some really people on their sports desk who do a great job yet they play second fiddle to a guy who at best is at the level of a work experience student in terms of capabilities and competence. He is a weak link on their sports team if you ask me.

Indeed.

To be taken seriously one has to adopt a neutral stance.

One doesn't see O'Herlihy, Moloney,Hamilton et al peddling a populist line which panders to the basest and biased listener.

If you want to peddle that stupid line get a job on a station connected with your team.

I would have no problem with someone on LMFM promoting Meath or Louth.

We are talking National stuff here.

Total crock in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

Surely Cahill's brand of amateurish broadcasting should be long gone by now.

If RTE have not got the balls to get rid of him surely the GAA should realise the damage he is doing.

As a previous poster said there are many good articulate broadcasters in RTE who would be much more suited...Con Murphy and the always excellent Darragh Molony who present the soccer shows in a professional manner.

The GAA need to be very careful about their branding...go into a Dublin pub any Sun afternoon unless Dublin are playing it's wall to wall premiership soccer in the TV's.

While I'm at it ..why is the arch culshie O'Muirceartaig giving messages fro Tadg Paidin down in Dingle or his cousin in "Australa" on the national airwaves during a championship semi-final.

The GAA needs Dublin and need to be very careful about their brand.

Mark my words...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Guys, this thread seems to have been let slide a bit but seriously...

The personal insults in the comments here are getting a bit much.

I shouldn't have to remind you that calling a broadcaster an "idiot" (and yes, I removed that word from the thread title and FlutterinBantam's post) and a "buffoon" (removed from Fulton Crown's post) IS against the charter. Attack his presenting style if you must - but kindly cut the personal jabs or the thread will have to die.

And I won't necessarily continue to edit people's posts to remove personal insults. Repeat offending may warrant stronger action than that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I'm not Cahill's biggest fan either but he's not the worst. I enjoy the banter on Today with PK after the 11 0 clock news. One of the best sports programmes I've listened to this year was Saturday Sport on the 26th of June this year. It was due to finish at 8 or 9 but continued on until 10 due to a busy day in sport. I was travelling back from the Galway v Offaly replay in Port Laoise and caught the last hour of the show. It was one of the most entertaining hours of radio I've heard this year and Cahill was excellent in fairness.
    As for his non confrontational stance on The Sunday Game, this is nothing new. For decades Michael Lyster also steered his guests away from saying anything that might upset the powers that be in the GAA. This has nothing to do with the presenters, but all to do with maintaining the cosy relationship between the GAA and RTE. The bigwigs in Croke Park have long memories when it comes to dishing out broadcasting rights. Unlike FIFA, UEFA etc who couldn't care less so long as the cheques are signed. Unfortunately the listener or viewer is the loser.

So go easy on poor Des.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Des is god awfull I agree, but you can forget about him ever being shifted - he's served his time climbing RTEs greasy pole.

Whatever about his appeal to the average boards.ie sports fan, the powers that be obviously feel his audience is important to them. Hence the lowest ccommon denominator approach. Adrian Childs used to be similar on the bbc - joking around with Frank Skinner about west brom

there was one piece on off the ball last night that threw the otb approach into stark contrast with that of des -an interviewee was talking about the world cup 2018 host candidates when, in reference to belguim and holland's bid, he said "the main thing is they have the best beer". Cue total silence from mcdevitt and early (rightly so), des would have strung a good 5 minutes out of that sort of line

finally i think he does know his golf though - woodbrook member and fairly low hcap i believe

One doesn't see O'Herlihy, Moloney,Hamilton et al peddling a populist line which panders to the basest and biased listener.

Flut. I agree with everything you are saying in this tread except for the inclusion of o herlihy in the quote above.

His whole approach is to fire provocative rubbish about christiano ronaldo etc at the panel to get a rise out of them. the panel know his game and there is a real sense of tension in the studio lately. 98% of the time its cringworthy.

why is the arch culshie O'Muirceartaig giving messages fro Tadg Paidin down in Dingle or his cousin in "Australa" on the national airwaves during a championship semi-final.

The GAA needs Dublin and need to be very careful about their brand.

Mark my words...

You should read Fintan O'Toole's eulogy to O'Muirahertigh in yesterdays Times - I cant post a link but the gist of it is that he's a national treasure.

The guy is 80 years old and still bashing away doing his thing every sunday - fair play to him I would say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

Des Cahill is not very professional

He snorts ALOT

His timing is terrible

He is not a natural communicator

He quite visibly makes people uneasy

He is sometimes visibly unkempt

What gives ? Why is he tolerated in a professional broadcasting organisation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Flut. I agree with everything you are saying in this tread except for the inclusion of o herlihy in the quote above.

His whole approach is to fire provocative rubbish about christiano ronaldo etc at the panel to get a rise out of them. the panel know his game and there is a real sense of tension in the studio lately. 98% of the time its cringworthy.

you could forigve bill though , hes a likeable gob****e unlike cahill

Apologies for the initial thread title and thanks to the mod for sorting it out.

A sports discussion programme needs a strong chairman, not some person who wants to throw out cuts at people or who has a an agenda which he or she puts out constantly.

What's needed is removal from the subject matter and a belief from the listeners and viewers that the chairmans views is 'theirs' not some gimp with a wish to appear witty or engage in 'banter' which is best suited in a pub.

Cahill fails miserably in all those criteria, which is why I rarely bother watching the 'Sunday game' as all you get is cheap digs at others, snorting stuff and total lack of anything that could be construed as ground breaking or controversial.

Totally useless at the job in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

I haven't seen him on tv lately but jesus he used to drive me mad on the radio.
    He always sounded like he was either half asleep or stoned, muttering and dragging out his sentences...talk about dead air! :mad:

CPL 593H

• Advertisement

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    You should read Fintan O'Toole's eulogy to O'Muirahertigh in yesterdays Times - I cant post a link but the gist of it is that he's a national treasure.

The guy is 80 years old and still bashing away doing his thing every sunday - fair play to him I would say.

Nothin personal against O'muirceartaig..the point I was making is that the GAA is in danger of loosing the urban populist market...if it is not already lost.

Witness the abysmal attendances at some of the recent games in Croker not involving Dublin.

Passing on messages from tadgin ban in Knocknagoshel or Mick from Gortletteragh during the broadcast of a national Semi-Final is unlikly to win them back.

That kind of sh1te belongs in the tilley lamp era and does not fit well in the 21st century.

Th GAA would ignore at their peril.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Fulton the GAA lost the man on the street in Dublin long ago

We are the equivalent to Millwall in the eyes of the rest of the country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Have to agree. The heartbeat of the GAA will never be an urban one.

Aidric wrote: »
    Have to agree. The heartbeat of the GAA will never be an urban one.

Too right Aid..the HEARTBEAT will always be rural...but you loose the urban heartbeat at your peril

A fotball semi between Kerry and Donegall ..attracts a sub 40k crowd..unsustainable in the long run.

Think about it

Yeah..but instead of stating the obvious ..is the Dub on the street worth winning back.

And how do the Gaa go about it.

Hmmm pal ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Have been listening to sports programme today and last week. Cant believe how rude he is to his co-host joanne. Anyone else notice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Did notice that tbh honeybear, but he is trying way too hard (as usual) to be funny... and he's not.

As I have sai in other forums a two hander is very difficult to pull orf...if you pardon the pun !

Always haas to to be one leader / one follower...if the two try to be leaders then one will have to be rude to get the leader position.

Just lack of agreement that's all and the usual two hander dread of "Dead Air".

So they will come in and cut across and interrupt and talk together and talk across and repeat et etc.

They just need to agree who is the leader and who is the follower ,the show is trailed as Des Cahill and Joanne Cantwell so Dessie should and maybe Jo should pipe down a bit.

Women and sports commentating / analysis always a bit ...strange :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Women and sports commentating / analysis always a bit ...strange :confused:

True: they don't seem to get the bit about how sport is essentially about bayting the cr*p out of the other guy - in a legally (sort of) acceptable way, of course.

Said Ms Cantwell, however, has, I think, a great future in Sports broadcasting, if she wants it, as RTE's answer to Pam Oliver.
    Watching her there today in Croker doing touchline reporter, she seemed to be enjoying trying to wheedle straight answers out of Glen Ryan and Ross Carr, the way women do!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

delaad wrote: »
    Said Ms Cantwell, however, has, I think, a great future in Sports broadcasting, if she wants it, as RTE's answer to Pam Oliver.
    Watching her there today in Croker doing touchline reporter, she seemed to be enjoying trying to wheedle straight answers out of Glen Ryan and Ross Carr, the way women do!
    I cannot abide this individual. Her nasely tones give me a pulsating headache. I don't watch much GAA so thankfully I'm spared, however some genius put her on the Rugby coverage.
    Now that was a big mistake, totally out of her depth. Please RTE, keep her to the GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭deise man

honeybear wrote: »
    Have been listening to sports programme today and last week. Cant believe how rude he is to his co-host joanne. Anyone else notice?
    Ya he keeps interupting her. They should just leave Joanne present the programme on her own.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Nothin personal against O'muirceartaig..the point I was making is that the GAA is in danger of loosing the urban populist market...if it is not already lost.

Witness the abysmal attendances at some of the recent games in Croker not involving Dublin.

Passing on messages from tadgin ban in Knocknagoshel or Mick from Gortletteragh during the broadcast of a national Semi-Final is unlikly to win them back.

That kind of sh1te belongs in the tilley lamp era and does not fit well in the 21st century.

Th GAA would ignore at their peril.

Why should they try so hard? Apart from a few dedicated suburbs, Dublin has never been GAA heartland, and probably never will be!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,502 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Couldn't believe how Joanne Cantwell made it to RTE, she used to be a sports announcer on TV3, I kept telling myself that she was so lighweight she must have have lead weights in her shoes to stop her taking off, then she turns up on RTE - political correctness gone mad.

The 'Pat and Elaine' format that RTE thinks we must have on Sundays is so off the wall that it's just comical, next thing they'll bring Bibi Baskin back from the waxworks and stick her in the commentary box with Micheal O Muircheartaigh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭coonecb1

Aidric wrote: »
    I cannot abide this individual. Her nasely tones give me a pulsating headache. I don't watch much GAA so thankfully I'm spared, however some genius put her on the Rugby coverage.
    Now that was a big mistake, totally out of her depth. Please RTE, keep her to the GAA.

She's brutal on the GAA as well, so, thanks but no thanks!

Plus they have her doing the goals round-up on Premier Soccer Saturday, and has a really annoying habit of describing goals about 2-3 seconds before they come on to the screen.....a small irritance that really gnaws away after a while :mad:

Why should they try so hard? Apart from a few dedicated suburbs, Dublin has never been GAA heartland, and probably never will be!

1. Money. The revenue from the Dublin market is worth a hell of a lot if tapped correctly. This would benefit clubs and schools all over the country

2. To ask "why" is to miss the whole point of the GAA. Why was it even set up in the first place? It's about promoting our culture and games. To have 1/3 of the population in a 100 square mile radius is most definitely where they should be focussing their marketing.

Fulton Crown is dead right, and I've been saying that for years. O'Muireahuirtigh is the biggest anti-GAA message any young Dubliner could see.

Most Dubs associate the GAA with a cliche of bogball. We need to focus on the positive aspects i.e. hurling and football are incredibly fun sports to play, arguably more free flowing and expressive than both rugby and soccer. The GAA need to convey this message to the youth of Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭donkey balls

coonecb1 wrote: »
    1. Money. The revenue from the Dublin market is worth a hell of a lot if tapped correctly. This would benefit clubs and schools all over the country

2. To ask "why" is to miss the whole point of the GAA. Why was it even set up in the first place? It's about promoting our culture and games. To have 1/3 of the population in a 100 square mile radius is most definitely where they should be focussing their marketing.

Fulton Crown is dead right, and I've been saying that for years. O'Muireahuirtigh is the biggest anti-GAA message any young Dubliner could see.

Most Dubs associate the GAA with a cliche of bogball. We need to focus on the positive aspects i.e. hurling and football are incredibly fun sports to play, arguably more free flowing and expressive than both rugby and soccer. The GAA need to convey this message to the youth of Dublin

i'm a Dublin supporter along with my aul lad and sisters O'Muireahuirtigh in our eyes is a legend even my mates kids know who he is, as for his comments during a match about johnny from such a village who has a relation in some far flung country watching the match we get a laugh out of it
    when Dublin went through the back door i missed out on going to the matches on saturday(work every saturday) just listening to O'Muireahuirtigh had me on the edge of my seat, as for the GAA needing the Dubs they do regarding ticket sales &jersey sales for the county board.

i'm a Dublin supporter along with my aul lad and sisters O'Muireahuirtigh in our eyes is a legend even my mates kids know who he is, as for his comments during a match about johnny from such a village who has a relation in some far flung country watching the match we get a laugh out of it
    when Dublin went through the back door i missed out on going to the matches on saturday(work every saturday) just listening to O'Muireahuirtigh had me on the edge of my seat, as for the GAA needing the Dubs they do regarding ticket sales &jersey sales for the county board.

I know what you mean. I have grown to like him over a long time. To me, his voice doing commentary reminds me of summer Sundays as a kid on holidays in Mayo with the family etc.

But, I think in the age of Sky Sports, Premier Leagues and Heineken Cups, for young kids choosing a sport to play, having an 80 year old Kerryman commentating on all the games is not a very good way to sell it to, for example a 10 year old kid in Tallaght whose parents are non-GAA people.

yep with the likes of the SKY glossy look kids would be more inclined to play soccer,saying that my mates kid played for the local soccer club and a man u fan he also liked the GAA as i brought him to a few games.
    he then left the soccer team and joined the local GAA club even his younger sister plays GAA,what i have found in Dublin anyway and with some friends from waterford is that they support the GAA team and soccer teams as a 2nd actually at one time Dublin sold more jerseys than man utd a few years ago.

Yes above is put better and more succinctly than I could !

In fairnrness the GAA is fighting wall to wall Sky coverage for soccer rugby ectera..their coverage is slick and you rarely see a presenter over 40 let alone over 80.

I agree that in a GAA household O'Muirceartaig is legend but as the poster says in a non GAA household ..his brand of tilley lamp and turf smoke broadcasting is unlikely to light much fires.

The strenght of the GAA in Dublin is based on great organisation at club level plus promotion by teachers in the national schools ..witness the superb facilities they have in Portmarnock/malahide/trinity gaels etc.

But back to my original point go into any Dublin pub on All Ireland day and you will most likely see premier soccer on Sky rather than the All Ireland final(If the Dubs are not playing).

My point being that the GAA need to be aware that a different marketing approach is needed if the urban cohort is to be brought on board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

God nothing make me cringe more than Cahills "laugh".

• Advertisement

Yes above is put better and more succinctly than I could !

In fairnrness the GAA is fighting wall to wall Sky coverage for soccer rugby ectera..their coverage is slick and you rarely see a presenter over 40 let alone over 80.

I agree that in a GAA household O'Muirceartaig is legend but as the poster says in a non GAA household ..his brand of tilley lamp and turf smoke broadcasting is unlikely to light much fires.

The strenght of the GAA in Dublin is based on great organisation at club level plus promotion by teachers in the national schools ..witness the superb facilities they have in Portmarnock/malahide/trinity gaels etc.

But back to my original point go into any Dublin pub on All Ireland day and you will most likely see premier soccer on Sky rather than the All Ireland final(If the Dubs are not playing).

My point being that the GAA need to be aware that a different marketing approach is needed if the urban cohort is to be brought on board.

well the pubs that i go to on a sunday afternoon for a bite to eat allways have the GAA matches on one screen while the soccer is on another,take this weekend all Ireland final you have man u V liverpool playing at 1 (i think) the pub that im going to will have that on followed by the all Ireland final even though other premiership games will be on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

I think Des Cahill is an average broadcaster at best. He lacks a fluency of delivery which borders on hesitation , and really considering he's been in the business a long time isnt acceptable. For me some one doing a similar role yet has only 8 years experience is Off the Ball's Eoin Mcdevitt who is always a joy to listen to, he's articulate, very rarely fluffs or stumbles and his knowledge of most sports is tremendous. I believe McDevitts strength as a sports broadcaster is the main reason that Off the Ball is the best sports magazine show on Irish airways. I see recently he has stood in occasionally on setanta for the recently departed Daire O Brien. Heres something for consideration, Mcdevitt to eventually replace Bill O'Herlihy when he retires. :rolleyes:

heybaby wrote: »
    I think Des Cahill is an average broadcaster at best. He lacks a fluency of delivery which borders on hesitation , and really considering he's been in the business a long time isnt acceptable. For me some one doing a similar role yet has only 8 years experience is Off the Ball's Eoin Mcdevitt who is always a joy to listen to, he's articulate, very rarely fluffs or stumbles and his knowledge of most sports is tremendous. I believe McDevitts strength as a sports broadcaster is the main reason that Off the Ball is the best sports magazine show on Irish airways. I see recently he has stood in occasionally on setanta for the recently departed Daire O Brien. Heres something for consideration, Mcdevitt to eventually replace Bill O'Herlihy when he retires. :rolleyes:

Would agree with most of that ,however McDevitt urgently needs to realise that English language proficiency would be 'an advantage'

Like 'football is not pronounced 'fuhhbahh'

It's the small things that get you,as Albert Reynolds once said;)

Ok Eoin?:cool:

The Ireland-Australia series illustrated why these guys are nothing more than overrated weekend heroes!

Dub sportspeople like Robbie Keane, Katie Taylor, Nicolas Roche and Brian O'Driscoll are better people to try to emulate for any kid living in the capital. These four are actually doing it on the global stage.

Not everywhere in the country has to be rabid about the GAA - just like parts of Wales don't care as much for rugby.

The Ireland-Australia series illustrated why these guys are nothing more than overrated weekend heroes!

Not everywhere in the country has to be rabid about the GAA - just like parts of Wales don't care as much for rugby.

And of course the REALreason is that there is MONEY to be earned out of it rather than just fame.

That's what turns on the average working class DUB, especially now that the apprenticeship with Preston or Bolton has now been effectively turned off.

There's only XFactor and BB to get the mills without education:cool::cool:

And of course the REALreason is that there is MONEY to be earned out of it rather than just fame.

That's what turns on the average working class DUB, especially now that the apprenticeship with Preston or Bolton has now been effectively turned off.

There's only XFactor and BB to get the mills without education:cool::cool:

When you make it to the ranks of a Preston or a Bolton - in a country of about 60 million, its still as impressive than being the best hurler in a county with a population of say 100,000!

When you make it to the ranks of a Preston or a Bolton - in a country of about 60 million, its still as impressive than being the best hurler in a county with a population of say 100,000!

:confused:

Not sure what your intention is with that post horse.

:confused:

Not sure what your intention is with that post horse.

Just making a point to the folks who think being a county hurling or football player automatically means you are a 'major sportsman'.

Not saying that you definitely fall into this category though! :)

Just making a point to the folks who think being a county hurling or football player automatically means you are a 'major sportsman'.

Not saying that you definitely fall into this category though! :)

No I don't.

I think the point here has dissipated so much that I can't even attempt to answer it:D

back on topic...... Cahill is a poor broadcaster.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Just making a point to the folks who think being a county hurling or football player automatically means you are a 'major sportsman'......

Perhaps, but you are not comparing like with like here. A soccer player for Preston or Bolton could be sold to Barcelona or Barnet in 3 months depending on his ability.

With no transfers in the GAA, players are limited to play in the counties where their clubs are located. Take Mattie Forde, a gifted footballer. There isn't a county in Ireland that wouldn't have him on their team. But he'll never win an All Ireland playing for Wexford.

• Advertisement
Advertisement