Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What kind of broadcaster is Des Cahill?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

When you make it to the ranks of a Preston or a Bolton - in a country of about 60 million, its still as impressive than being the best hurler in a county with a population of say 100,000!

46-crazy-angry-raving-mad-man-idiot.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭coonecb1

The Ireland-Australia series illustrated why these guys are nothing more than overrated weekend heroes!

No, the Ireland-Australia goes to show the gap between playing a relatively contact free sport for enjoyment, and playing a more physical game as an occupation.

[/QUOTE]Dub sportspeople like Robbie Keane, Katie Taylor, Nicolas Roche and Brian O'Driscoll are better people to try to emulate for any kid living in the capital. These four are actually doing it on the global stage.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure if they're "better" people to emulate. They are good role models, but what separates them from Bernard Brogan I don't fully follow

[/QUOTE]Not everywhere in the country has to be rabid about the GAA - just like parts of Wales don't care as much for rugby.[/QUOTE]

That's a fair point. I was just pointing out my thoughts on O'Muireahuirtigh in a Dublin context

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Dear god he is being annoying today... Des, just to clarify..... you are NOT funny.. I wish he would stop trying to be.. he is actually bearable when he plays it straight..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Dear god he is being annoying today... Des, just to clarify..... you are NOT funny.. I wish he would stop trying to be.. he is actually bearable when he plays it straight..

Cahill gets his kicks from the stupid off the wall crap that some people do.

Some 'fellas' 'roon' a bed from Kilmacood to Wicklow, sure Dessie loves them.

He ignores the facts, as a reporter, but almost shoots his rocks when some opportunity to get a 'crack' at someone arises.

Laddish banter and fcuking downright boring ABU stuff seem to be his stock in trade.

Fourth division in my opinion, total lack of bite in anything he does, just seems to have the next little 'earner' outside the regular job in RTE in mind.

Totally lacking in any form of gravitas, lightweight in the extreme , whom nobody serious about the issues could take seriously.

Paper thin, and well used to working the system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Sounds like Des Cahill has just been to the dentist or something. Sounds like his tongue is frozen.He's on radio 1 now.
    If you can't speak properly,then have some respect for the listener and don't go on the air.
    It's an example of how they have so little regard for the listener.
    By the same token, Marc Coleman should never have a job as a broadcaster either.He clearly has a problem with his cough/throat.That's his problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I cant get good reception on the other channels with the bad weather.. forced to listen to Cahill again today.. Some smart arse remark after every report today, whether about the songs on the ground's PA system, the chips on sale from the chipper van, the weather etc etc... He's just not funny.. :(

I cant get good reception on the other channels with the bad weather.. forced to listen to Cahill again today.. Some smart arse remark after every report today, whether about the songs on the ground's PA system, the chips on sale from the chipper van, the weather etc etc... He's just not funny.. :(

That's Cahill all over, always concentrating on the off field activities rather than actual games.

Sense a battle between himself and Joanne Cantwell as to who is the 'bull goose' on the prog.

Cahill only wants the banter, nearly popped his wad when some texter suggested that the prog. was 'Dublin biased'

Got a cut from Corcoran, ref Christchurch and who had been there.

Cahill said he was at a 'Dalkey book fair' but Corcoran intimated that the only reason he was there was that he had to pay for it himself.

If the fcuking taxpayer was paying he would be all over the world!

Nice little vignette there, and not missed by Le Flutt;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Cahill is like that annoying "friend" you can't get rid of. Always chipping in with something or other, always trying to be liked and being hated for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,134 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

That's Cahill all over, always concentrating on the off field activities rather than actual games.

Sense a battle between himself and Joanne Cantwell as to who is the 'bull goose' on the prog.

Cahill only wants the banter, nearly popped his wad when some texter suggested that the prog. was 'Dublin biased'

Got a cut from Corcoran, ref Christchurch and who had been there.

Cahill said he was at a 'Dalkey book fair' but Corcoran intimated that the only reason he was there was that he had to pay for it himself.

If the fcuking taxpayer was paying he would be all over the world!

Nice little vignette there, and not missed by Le Flutt;)

too true:

- Betting prices, always refers to them
    - who he met at the event
    - Halftime entertainment
    - the seating in the stand
    - the weather
    - the food
    - piss up after the match

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

dvcireland wrote: »

too true:

- Betting prices, always refers to them
    - who he met at the event
    - Halftime entertainment
    - the seating in the stand
    - the weather
    - the food
    - piss up after the match

Guy is a 'colour' reporter, nothing more.

Loves the 'Man of the people' tag..."Aahh Jaysus , there's Dezzziee, one of ouer owan"

Has no place in any serious sports programmes in my opinion.

Have stopped watching 'The Sunday game' because he riles me up so mooch(sic).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Im fairness, betting prices are an integral part of all sport now, and I would be more annoyed they weren't included in reports.

Similarly, the weather plays an important role in any outdoor sporting event, and not to mention it would deny listeners the bigger picture.

I agree about the half time entertainment. Nobody gives a frig about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Blobby George

I heard that Aine Lawlor had to ask him to leave the Morning Ireland studio one morning because of persistent farting. Totally unprofessional.

I heard that Aine Lawlor had to ask him to leave the Morning Ireland studio one morning because of persistent farting. Totally unprofessional.

Proof or GTF >>>>>>>>>>>>> Out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

i didnt think RTE could do any worse or nauseating than stick Cahill on the air until i recently saw an add for some programme hosted by Marty Morrissey called the committee room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Caledonman

bamboozle wrote: »
    i didnt think RTE could do any worse or nauseating than stick Cahill on the air until i recently saw an add for some programme hosted by Marty Morrissey called the committee room.

could it get any worse in RTE?? they have too many people on salary that they can't get rid of, so probably feel the need to justify their existence ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,747 ✭✭✭squonk

My recollection of Des Cahill and why he's a massive tool was when he was doing the sports slot for one of the 2FM breakfast show programs from years past. it may have been with Tubridy who, in fairness to him came out with 'I've no interest in sport. it's not my cup of tea really'. I'm paraphrasing all of this but Dessie then more or less goes 'Oh god, but you have to be. You'll have to adopt a soccer team and follow them throughout the season'. I think that happened. I'm not a massive sports fan. I HATE soccer with a passion and could hapilly live without sports reports. I don't consider it news in the main. Cahill ruined what was, up until then, an interesting show that just degenerated into inane snorting and discussions about soccer players. Very boring!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Des Cahill...... From what I recall Ian Dempsey and Des were the first to encourage the now very common but very annoying habit of the main presenter interupting the sports news with their own contribution. Regarding the main reason of annoyance 2 examples I recall are the definite soiling of briefs on hearing about a Munster fan getting a huge cheer as he came through arrivals with a touch flag from H cup final. The other is him regailing Seve about his wayward drives ending up on the Dart line at Woodbrook golf club. The lads in the members bar would love Seve hearing about that I am sure. As for Seve, I got the feeling he thought Des was a proper muppet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

Cahill is a boor, the kind of lad you'll find down the pub, pint in hand, knowing it all. Loving the Dubs, hating the Cork people, denigrating women and lashing out his ABU nonsense.

How he's still employed in our National Broadcaster I do not know.

Not so long ago Cahill was one of about 20 people BMW Ireland took courtesy cars off.
    Imagine, he had a free BMW X5 for his "work" as MC at whatever series of events BMW would host throughout the year?

Gophur wrote: »
    Cahill is a boor, the kind of lad you'll find down the pub, pint in hand, knowing it all. Loving the Dubs, hating the Cork people, denigrating women and lashing out his ABU nonsense.

How he's still employed in our National Broadcaster I do not know.

Not so long ago Cahill was one of about 20 people BMW Ireland took courtesy cars off.
    Imagine, he had a free BMW X5 for his "work" as MC at whatever series of events BMW would host throughout the year?

For fcuks sake, how do these people con the public so much:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭easychair

I'm afraid as soon as I hear his voice, I reach for the off button. Sometimes I listen to Pat Kenny on radio. It can be interesting, but after the news at 11, I can't bear Des Cahills voice, and I hurl myself at the off button, and I can't bear Pat Kenny and Des joshing with each other. Ghastly!

easychair wrote: »
    I'm afraid as soon as I hear his voice, I reach for the off button. Sometimes I listen to Pat Kenny on radio. It can be interesting, but after the news at 11, I can't bear Des Cahills voice, and I hurl myself at the off button, and I can't bear Pat Kenny and Des joshing with each other. Ghastly!
    Off topic here but do you know if Off The Ball still do the "Good clean fun with Pat Kenny" slot? Poor old chuckles Cahill used get an awful ribbing from the boys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

Cant stand Des Cahill myself, no offence to the man. I think he is more sports fan with a job in radio than a serious sports presenter. The Off the Ball programme is far superior to the shows Cahill is involved in on RTE. In fact Off the Ball is better than most sports programmes on rte radio , certainly better than that awful ball busters.

Ball busters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Blobby George

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Ball busters?

Used to be on Saturdays on 2fm if I correctly recall. That Jacqui bird from Sunday Sport presented it with one of the sports newsreaders. Quiz format.

Used to be on Saturdays on 2fm if I correctly recall. That Jacqui bird from Sunday Sport presented it with one of the sports newsreaders. Quiz format.
    Delighted that one passed me by.

Listening to him today Saturday with Joanne whatever her name is.!!

Pillock is all I can describe him as...eeeeeeeeeeh, no flow in his speech, stacatic and laboured delivery.... fcuking 'ell.

Lose this blimp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Not sure if it was him or not, but I have my suspicions . . . the other night there was a discussion on some time after 7 about some 17 year old who (snort) had a breast reduction job and (snort) she immediately shot up 51 places in the world tennis rankings. The two lads were having a great fnarr, fnarr session. Even going so far as to tell all and sundry that there is youtube and google images coverage if you want to (fnarr, fnarr) check it out for yourselves. I thought I was listening to a live stream from The Gentlemans Club or After Hours.

So, this is, err, sports coverage these days, is it ? I'm glad I'm not a sports fan. Or the father of a 17 year old daughter . . .

z

zagmund wrote: »
    Not sure if it was him or not, but I have my suspicions . . . the other night there was a discussion on some time after 7 about some 17 year old who (snort) had a breast reduction job and (snort) she immediately shot up 51 places in the world tennis rankings. The two lads were having a great fnarr, fnarr session. Even going so far as to tell all and sundry that there is youtube and google images coverage if you want to (fnarr, fnarr) check it out for yourselves. I thought I was listening to a live stream from The Gentlemans Club or After Hours.

So, this is, err, sports coverage these days, is it ? I'm glad I'm not a sports fan. Or the father of a 17 year old daughter . . .

z

That about sums him up.

Jaysus I'm listening to that goon Martin Kiely referring to a Clare player Martin T U B R I D Y numerous times as T U R B I D Y.

Where the fcuk do they get these people from.

Jeesh, what the fcuk.

Who is recruiting these imbeciles?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Listening to him today Saturday with Joanne whatever her name is.!!

Pillock is all I can describe him as...eeeeeeeeeeh, no flow in his speech, stacatic and laboured delivery.... fcuking 'ell.

Lose this blimp.

I don't rate Des Cahill - never will. But, you are clearly obsessive in your hatred for the guy - been obvious from reading the posts for sometime.

Seriously, what's the real story here?

• Advertisement

I don't rate Des Cahill - never will. But, you are clearly obsessive in your hatred for the guy - been obvious from reading the posts for sometime.

Seriously, what's the real story here?

Eh......:confused:

No hatred, or otherwise, on a personal basis, but jaysus ,as a broadcaster he ,in my opinion, doesn't cut the mustard.

Laddish humour seems to pop his wad, and this snorting and stoppages in his delivery ,well, busts my balls bigtime, if I can be honest.

I'll put it to you this way, if this guy stays on sports for RTE Saturday and Sunday, I'll be changing frequency.

That's the only story here tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

He was on the Morning Ireland sports shift today and speaking about the Leinster Hurling final, he asked a GAA expert (Who's name I don't know)

"Do you think Kilkenny are angry at Dublin over the League final?"

FFS, what sort of an opening question is that to ask about any event? :confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

Des has only got himself banned by the FAI. Apparently it was something he said on Saturday Sport last weekend, anyone know what that was? I didn't think he had it in him.

http://www.thescore.ie/no-further-questions-rte-presenter-banned-by-the-fai-189108-Jul2011/

Paddy Power are taking bets on who's next on John Delaney's Blacklist.

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/novelty-betting/sports-novelties/FAI-Specials?ev_oc_grp_ids=489761

Rubik. wrote: »
    Des has only got himself banned by the FAI. Apparently it was something he said on Saturday Sport last weekend, anyone know what that was? I didn't think he had it in him.

http://www.thescore.ie/no-further-questions-rte-presenter-banned-by-the-fai-189108-Jul2011/

Paddy Power are taking bets on who's next on John Delaney's Blacklist.

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/novelty-betting/sports-novelties/FAI-Specials?ev_oc_grp_ids=489761

Not surprised that the FAI took umbrage over RTE personnel critisising salary scales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

Good point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Rubik. wrote: »

First good call by the FAI ever.

Not surprised that the FAI took umbrage over RTE personnel critisising salary scales.

I heard that programme last week when Des had his rant about Delaney's salary. In fairness to him, he did say he expected the calls and texts to flood in questioning RTÉ presenters salaries too.

However that shouldn't detract from the fact that Delaney is still vastly overpaid despite taking a paycut last year.

Good call Cahill in this instance I reckon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

Look this guy Delaney has been in receipt of this salary for a good number of years now.
    And Cahill only brings it up now ?

Bit rich really when Cahill.....the guy who tries to keep on side with everybody ......gets blackballed by the FAI.

Not really surprised....the guy is an intense irritant to a lot of people and the FAI are very sensitive on the subject of salaries.

Interesting to see how this one plays out......

Look this guy Delaney has been in receipt of this salary for a good number of years now.
    And Cahill only brings it up now ?

It was only brought up now in the context of the fee offered to the League of Ireland players in the Dublin Super Cup this weekend.

Initially a paltry €300, which was eventually raised to €1000 per player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭washiskin

Brian Kerr got a sly dig in on-air during the Sports show on Saturday afternoon. They were talking about something to do with either the World Cup qualifiers or the LoI Teams in Europe (I'm not sure which) but Kerr mentioned that "the money men in the FAI" not being pleased and immediately sniggered and said "not sure if I should have mentioned that Des"

:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 95 ✭✭RichieMc

Lapin wrote: »
    It was only brought up now in the context of the fee offered to the League of Ireland players in the Dublin Super Cup this weekend.

It was actually brought up during a discussion about the FAI's AGM which took place that weekend. A major sports story in itself, which is why Saturday Sport would've been discussing it.

The furore over the shabby treatment of the League Of Ireland players only served to highlight the lunacy of Delaney's wage.

To ignore a major story, regardless of the income of Cahill or his colleagues, would be ridiculous.

Lapin wrote: »

Point taken my friend...but what I was trying to get at is that if Cahill had any nuts he would have raised this question before.

My read on this is that Cahill was doing his "Man of the People" act...as so rightly pointed out by Flutterin B....defending the poor relation LOI players.

Unfortunatly it backfired on him when the FAI blazers got miffed at some light being shone on the CEO's enormous wedge....at a time when salaries are being capped etc.

FAI are no fools...they know that they depend on the support of the largly working class...who are under severe pressure at the min.

If Davy Keogh and his mates realise that the FAI are milking them for all they are worth...they might not be so inclined to "say hello".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 95 ✭✭RichieMc

Point taken my friend...but what I was trying to get at is that if Cahill had any nuts he would have raised this question before.

My read on this is that Cahill was doing his "Man of the People" act...as so rightly pointed out by Flutterin B....defending the poor relation LOI players.

Unfortunatly it backfired on him when the FAI blazers got miffed at some light being shone on the CEO's enormous wedge....at a time when salaries are being capped etc.

FAI are no fools...they know that they depend on the support of the largly working class...who are under severe pressure at the min.

If Davy Keogh and his mates realise that the FAI are milking them for all they are worth...they might not be so inclined to "say hello".

This will probably end up being a discussion for another board, but light was shone on Delaney's wage by Delaney himself. The FAI AGM saw him agree to take a €50,000 pay cut, according to Delaney, against the advice of the FAI board. That left him with a paltry €400k pa. The issue was raised on Saturday Sport on the day, whereas the next week saw the FAI attempting to short change its own players at the Dublin Super Cup.

Both issues were fair game for discussion (sorry to repeat myself).

Given the shabby attendances at the Dublin Super Cup, the Carling Nations Cup and recent home internationals, Davy Keogh ain't saying "hello" as often, but as I said, another discussion for another board.

Bottom line, Delaney's wage was a valid topic for discussion on both occasions.

RichieMc wrote: »
    Bottom line, Delaney's wage was a valid topic for discussion on both occasions.

Agreed !

It's not as if RTE were short of competant broadcasters...contrast the excellent darragh Molony or even the much maligned Peter Collins who do a professional job of chairing boxing and soccer panels respectively...to the snorting and ladish remarks of Cahill on the Sunday Game.

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭bossdrum

Dessie has just called out the scores of todays soccer matches.

In his world Brighton drew with Doncaster. In reality Brighton won 2-1.
    Jimmy Magee then says 'your a mine of information Des' (Pity it's incorrect)

Is it too difficult to double check the scores 3 hours after the games is finished?
    Pathetic from any broadcaster, let alone a national station.:mad:

I hope nobody rips up any betting slips relying on des's information.

• Advertisement
Advertisement