Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For Those of You with Roaming Cats...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SadieSue

Awe that is so horrible. Poor Lola, she was just being friendly.
    I hope they catch that person!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Luckily I think my cats wouldn't go near strangers! Unless the strangers gave them some ham or something, even then they'd be very wary and would stay a few metres away.

There was always this stray tom cat around where we used to live though, he probably had an owner but would be around every spring and summer. My neighbours used to feed him and their kids thought of him as their's and had named him and everything. He was pretty annoying cos he beat up my cat, but I didn't mind him. But my other neighbour, for no reason, drugged his food with sleeping tablets and went and got him put down. :( Some people are just evil though . . .

But then again, people steal dogs from gardens, and throw poisoned food over fences to them, so you can't even keep them safe in your own garden . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Seen this earlier. What a horrible wagon she is.

What annoys me is if you look at the video, the little fella is friendly & just wants a pet, unfortunately that battle-axe took full advantage of the poor animal's trusting nature & threw it in the bin with the intention of putting it in harms way.
    The little critter must have been in the bin for hours before it was discovered. An uncomfortable few hours as well as it must have been very hot inside the plastic container. What a disgusting creep. I only hope they catch & convict her of animal cruelty.

Its the sort of incident where if i witnessed such an act i would find it difficult to stay calm. If it was another man doing it i'd give him the biggest kick up the hole to show him the error of his ways.

Pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

A few cats roam in & out of my garden but it doesn't bother me until they decide to roam in at 4 o' clock in the morning & the hound starts barking :)

However I would never poison, trap or kill any of them. Some people are just not fit to be allowed out on their own & that beast is obviously one of those people.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭FunkyMissMonkey

My cats always used to be indoor cats, safer for them, and we got to see them and their personalities so much more.

Then we decided what harm, we'll let them out in the day, call them in in the evenings for their dinner and warm beds. We only ever let them out on days when we were at home and around all day, and for the most part they all hung out in the front garden, catching rays and snoozing under the hedge! :rolleyes:

Sadly, on my birthday a few weeks ago, our beloved Kobi didn't come home. Very very unlike her, she's a total mummy's girl and loved coming home with presents (big lumps of moss generally) for us. :D

Four weeks on and there's still no sign of her. I've made awful calls to the council asking if she's been "scooped up" from the side of the road, we've put up posters all round our neighbourhood, and flyers through all the doors of houses near us.

Two of our neighbours knew Kobi well, as she'd pop in to see them, she was a very friendly cat indeed! They're both saddened by her disappearance too, and are in the firm belief that she was stolen, because she was just so friendly, and would approach anyone for attention and to say hi.

Needless to say, outdoor time for the rest of the pack is now over. I won't let them out again, losing another, and not knowing what happened would break my heart all over again. I do sometimes have nightmares that some evil bored teens took her for "fun" and .. I don't want to think about the rest. There are evil people in this world though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

Seen this earlier. What a horrible wagon she is.

What annoys me is if you look at the video, the little fella is friendly & just wants a pet, unfortunately that battle-axe took full advantage of the poor animal's trusting nature & threw it in the bin with the intention of putting it in harms way.
    The little critter must have been in the bin for hours before it was discovered. An uncomfortable few hours as well as it must have been very hot inside the plastic container. What a disgusting creep. I only hope they catch & convict her of animal cruelty.

Its the sort of incident where if i witnessed such an act i would find it difficult to stay calm. If it was another man doing it i'd give him the biggest kick up the hole to show him the error of his ways.

Pathetic.
    She deserves a box across the head:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

easyeason3 wrote: »
    Some people are just not fit to be allowed out on their own & that beast is obviously one of those people.

Yep, that woman shouldn't be allowed roam!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Saw this on someones facebook today, words fail me, there are some very weird and horrible people in this world:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

The cruel act was caught on CCTV by the cat's owners, Daryll and Stephanie Mann, at their Coventry home.
    ((Video: Woman caught on CCTV Dumping a Kitten in a bin))

They discovered the trapped cat when they heard her cries and decided to check the footage from their security camera to see how she ended up in the bin.

They believed Lola - who is not yet a year old - must have been dumped by drunken louts.

But when they saw the video, they were shocked to discover it was the work of a middle-aged woman.

The grey-haired lady is caught petting the animal on camera, before looking around to see if she is being watched.

As Lola walks along the wall lining the Mann's front garden, the woman lifts the lid of the wheelie bin, picks the cat up by the scruff of her neck and throws her in before walking off.

The attack happened at 7.55pm on Saturday and the kitten was trapped for nearly 16 hours before she was dicovered by the Manns who were heading out for Sunday lunch.

"I'm surprised at it being a lady I expected it was someone drunk coming back from the pub, but when I saw that, it's mad," said Mr Mann.

Coventry Police said they had been alerted to what had happened and had passed the matter to the RSPCA.

A spokesman for the RSPCA said: "We are appalled by allegations that a cat was placed inside a wheelie bin in Coventry in what would appear to be a mindless act of animal cruelty "Investigations are on-going in liaison with the police.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Jaysus you're just dying to spread this little nugget of news aren't ya. I think there's a wheelie bin forum somewhere too...

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

The problem is bad things happen inside your property too! My cats are kept inside the garden and the other day I was looking out the window when I saw a young fella stretch up over the wall and lean across with his hurley to try to hit my cat! Couldn't believe it! Luckily she ran away in time.

The same cat had an accident in my garden too when she broke a toe (still don't know exactly how it happened).

Despite all this, I'm not going to keep them inside only, as I know they are a lot happier with outside access. (I previously kept them inside only when I had lived in an apartment and I can see they are more relaxed now with outside access).

So the moral of the story is, there is no such thing as a completely safe environment, but you have to be sensible and minimise risk as much as possible.

Its not as bad as some of the video's out there , i just wonder why she did it. She actually looked like she liked the cat and then "DUMP"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

You would never stop being amazed at people. To have stopped and petted the animal like that ....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056009302

This appears to have triggered a lot of responses on the same thing!

I actually agree that I think they benefit from the fresh air if allowed outdoors, but I won't let mine roam off my property. The little scumbag with the hurley just shows how many people really hate cats, but at least if they're in your yard they're not dicing with the cars!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

what a horrible bitch, i'd love to have 10 minutes alone in a room with her. The poor cat. Our cat freaks out if we don't let him go outside for fresh air, seeing what goes on I must get one of those fence toppers that stops him getting out. People really hate cats. But someone who does that to any animal isn't right in the head. I hate small yappy dogs but i'd never even think about harming one and i'd be nice to any I came across.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I've merged the 3 (!) threads on this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I'm actually very interested in her justification for her actions. Part of me wonders if she thought 'that cat will be killed on this road, if I drop it in the bin it'll be safe till it's owners come home' or some such lunacy. Perhaps I'm just hoping she isn't simply a crazy cat-hating bitch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭martina_670

I'm actually very interested in her justification for her actions. Part of me wonders if she thought 'that cat will be killed on this road, if I drop it in the bin it'll be safe till it's owners come home' or some such lunacy. Perhaps I'm just hoping she isn't simply a crazy cat-hating bitch.

Her punishment should be to work in an animal center or sanctuary for free of course, under supervision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

I really wish more people would keep their cats indoors, it's so so dangerous for them outside. My little one stays inside all the time and she's happy out - she runs at top speed from window to window watching the birds and has loads of cat trees and games to play with when we're not there, plus lots of cuddles from us because we know she hasn't dragged anything dirty in with her.

I think people in Ireland have a bias against indoor cats for some reason, i don't know how many times I've heard 'oh it's cruel to keep them in'. What I don't understand is how the same people don't understand how cruel it can be outside for them too - fighting with other cats, rape for the female cats (which is excrutiating for them), getting knocked down, getting caught in hedges/wire, being tormented by cruel horrible teenagers, the list goes on.

I checked with 2 vets and the ISPCA who all told me this before I agreed, but now I wouldn't dream of leaving my little one out. Please keep them inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

People who allow their cats to roam outside of their own garden are selfish, lazy and irresponsible cat owners.

Why should I or any other person have to worry about your cat climbing in a window and attacking our pet bird or stealing something from the table.

Why should your cat be put at risk from unfriendly public, cars, other cats in the mood for a scrap or dogs.

Their justification for it, oh cats like to roam they aren't happy indoors it's cruel well it's also cruel to allow your cat to run the painful risk of injury have you any idea how painful it is to a cat to have it's pevlis crushed by a car or it's jaw broken or end up with a nasty abcess from a cat fight.

Spay/neuter and keep cats indoors, or confined to the garden or avairy type construction why should non cat owners have to put up with them and same goes for people who allow their dogs to wander your pets are not my responsibility keep them safe!

Well that's what I think anyway, speaking as person who loves cats and dogs equally!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭ferguson

People who allow their cats to roam outside of their own garden are selfish, lazy and irresponsible cat owners. Why should I or any other person have to worry about your cat climbing in a window and attacking our pet bird or stealing something from the table
    or mucking in someones garden. if they do not want to clean up after them they should get rid of them

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭TaraR

We have about 20 strays roaming around our area. Some live in the bushes across the road from us. I got some free cat food at petxpo and gave it to them. There is also a lady who we all call 'The Cat Lady' who feeds them everyday. Once they see her step out of the car they come running from everywhere lol. Drives my staffy socks mad they come right up to the porch when hes sitting relaxing :p but they keep the mice and rats at bay ;) But i have seen a few lying dead at the side of the road from being knocked down :( Poor kittys x

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

What really grinds my gears about this woman is the whole "I did it for a laugh" attitude she seems to have. I was bullied all through school by people who were 'only having a laugh'. I've had my property stolen and destroyed 'for a laugh'. I've been yelled at in the street and had thing thrown at my dogs 'for a laugh'.

People who do such things 'for a laugh' rarely have any empathy or consideration for other people or their property. Such an attitude gives the impression that they see everything on earth, animal, vegetable or mineral, is there to do with as they wish for their own amusement. They see people and animals as Things rather than actual thinking, feeling, beings.

I would never advocate threatening someone's life, but this woman certainly deserves to be ostracised from her community. And I'm not in the least bit upset that she could lose her job; the company, understandably, would not want to be associated with such a callous person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Kimia wrote: »
    I really wish more people would keep their cats indoors, it's so so dangerous for them outside. My little one stays inside all the time and she's happy out - she runs at top speed from window to window watching the birds and has loads of cat trees and games to play with when we're not there, plus lots of cuddles from us because we know she hasn't dragged anything dirty in with her.

I think people in Ireland have a bias against indoor cats for some reason, i don't know how many times I've heard 'oh it's cruel to keep them in'. What I don't understand is how the same people don't understand how cruel it can be outside for them too - fighting with other cats, rape for the female cats (which is excrutiating for them), getting knocked down, getting caught in hedges/wire, being tormented by cruel horrible teenagers, the list goes on.

I completely disagree.

First, if you dont want your female cat raped, get her spayed.

Second, even if you have a tom, you should have HIM neutered. Neutering is one of the most responsible things a pet owner can do.

Third, would you like to spend fifteen years looking at the same four walls? Being unable to live your life lest someone take it away?

We have five rescue cats and they were indoors for a number of years until we realised that we were just being selfish keeping them locked in. Now, they are so much happier, healthier and well-adjusted.

If anyone touched one of my cats I'd rip their bloody big retarded head off :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

TaraR wrote: »
    We have about 20 strays roaming around our area. Some live in the bushes across the road from us. I got some free cat food at petxpo and gave it to them. There is also a lady who we all call 'The Cat Lady' who feeds them everyday. Once they see her step out of the car they come running from everywhere lol. Drives my staffy socks mad they come right up to the porch when hes sitting relaxing :p but they keep the mice and rats at bay ;) But i have seen a few lying dead at the side of the road from being knocked down :( Poor kittys x

Hi, thats so sad. There is a charity called the cats protection and they will come out with proper humane traps (had to call them to a warehouse in work last year) and take them away. They will neuter them and try to find homes. Service is free too, but obviously accept donations.

• Advertisement
Advertisement