Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Munich

• 23-08-2010 7:44pm

I'm heading over to Munich for the oktoberfest. We'll no doubt work our way through all the beer tents at the festival, but we will be there for a day or two before it starts. Any recommendations on good places to sample some good food and beers? Already planning on visiting the hofbrauhaus and maybe a trip out to the andechs monastery, hear great things about their beer from a guy who used to live there. All suggestions are welcome :D
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

Andechs is well worth going to. You can get the S bahn there.

There's a few beer halls near Marianplatz, the one that serves the Augustiner is very good for food too. Food is very heavy - the dumplings will kill you...

Half chicken and ribs are the way to go.

All the Irish, English, Kiwis and Aussies go to the Hofbrau tent at the festival. It's a bit mental in there. More drink spilled than drank, when I was there anyway.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Hofbräuhaus is one to just nip in to for a beer and out again, just to say you did. It's not all that nice as a place to stay and drink. Schneider's Weisses Bräuhaus and the Ayinger beerhall are both nearby and warrant much more in-depth inspection.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

Brockagh wrote: »
    There's a few beer halls near Marianplatz, the one that serves the Augustiner is very good for food too. Food is very heavy - the dumplings will kill you...

+1. The Augustinerhalle on the Marienplatz is a great spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

The Ratskeller is worth visiting too.

There's a good whisky shop off Marienplatz too - Tara, if you like whisky, that is.

And lots of nice pastry shops....

I lived there for a summer. Munich is a great place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

I'm heading over to Munich for the oktoberfest.

Have you booked a tent as they can be difficult get a few months before and no seat no beer!!. But there is a Hacker-Pschorr beer garden at one of the entrances to the fest that is very good substitute

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

BeerNut wrote: »
    Schneider's Weisses Bräuhaus and the Ayinger beerhall are both nearby and warrant much more in-depth inspection.

Aventinus on draught: what's not to like, apart from the menu which proudly states 'the best bits are the offals'. More lung please :D

Even thinking about my last visit to Munich brings on the meat sweats. I discovered my nearly-fatal weakness for leberkäse smothered in mustard.

OP, one thing to note if you're not familiar with German drinking culture is the "Stammtisch" signs, usually a brass plate on the table or hanging above it. These are reserved for locals and you'll get a telling off if you sit at one. Also don't even think about moving tables between ordering your beer and paying the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Gaudizeit

oblivious wrote: »
    Have you booked a tent as they can be difficult get a few months before and no seat no beer!!. But there is a Hacker-Pschorr beer garden at one of the entrances to the fest that is very good substitute

no need to book tents.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭pdebarra

You bastard, Beernut! 6 years since my last Leberkassemmel, and I thought I was over it. Until now :mad:

And, back on topic, I second the Augustiner beer hall, as I've only visited it and the Hofbräuhaus, and it's so much more pleasant to sit in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Leberkase MMMmmmmmm......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Not quite somewhere for food & beer but well worth visiting the BMW HQ out near the Olympic Stadium if you're into cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭standardtoaster

Hey OP,

One place myself and all the lads recommend is the beer hall at the augustiner Brewery (http://www.augustiner-braeu.de/augustiners/html/en/gaststaetten/Augustiner_Braustuben.html)
    It's about 3/4 tram stops (think its tram 18/19) from the central train station.

We've been to a fair few of the beer halls/gardens around Munich and with the exception of the Beer Garden (The one with the Chinese Tower) in the Englisch Gartens. This is a great spot.

The added advantage is that it's not full of tourists and the banter is something else it would almost rival the tents themselves!

It's also a few yoyos cheaper than the Hofbrau and Marienplatz

The best thing about it is that its pretty much around the corner from the Oktoberfest tents.
    We basically use it as the food and drink stop on our way to the tents!!

Can't wait to get back there again in two weeks!!

Already planning on visiting the hofbrauhaus and maybe a trip out to the andechs monastery, hear great things about their beer from a guy who used to live there. All suggestions are welcome :D

What's so good about andechs? Never heard of it before!
    How do you get there?
    How long does it take?

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

re augustiner brewery: theres now a hostel opposite it so not as tourist free as it used to be. During the day its ok to get a seat but in the evening (7pm on like) you really need a reservation regardless of the octoberfest

re andechs: its a monastery out in the sticks that is up a very steep hill that brews damn strong beer. Its also a lovely area, but sure so is most of the area around Munich!!
    Klosterbrauerei_Andechs.jpg

official website in English
    http://www.andechs.de/index.asp?lng=en
    and heres how to get there by public transport
    http://www.andechs.de/englisch/service/anfahrt/oeffentliche_verkehrsmittel.html
    you need to get a train and then a local bus so you'd want to plan your travel times ahead of time to avoid waiting about for too long

rre andechs: its a monastery out in the sticks that is up a very steep hill that brews damn strong beer. [/IMG]

Dopplebock, but apparent only served weekdays not weekend

feck
    nearly forgot.

Theres a brewery onsite at the airport (airbrau) in the common area between terminal 1 and 2 with beer garden and all.
    Best of all, 2.30 a pint.

Has to be the cheapest and best pint in an airport in the developed world!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

where would people recommend to go at night for pubs/nightclubs,we are heading over in 2 weeks(8 lads mid twenties).we are goona go to the tents and some of the beer halls but we would also like to go to some of the less touristy(sp) places.

In terms of nightclubs the less touristy ones i.e. the ones frequented by predominantly Germans, tend to be have a fairly strict door policy in other words once they hear your accent and its not German you'll have a tough time getting in.

Some of the big clubs in the city centre at the moment would bePacha, M-Park and Milchbar.

They are big into mainitaining ratios too so a group of 8 foreign lads rocking up to the front door won't help you out.

What has worked for us in the past is:

Each person in the group scattering amongst the queue and going in on their own.

Try and get talking to a group of girls and bring them into your group.

Make sure you're well dressed shirts etc....With the big clubs its going to be pot luck but they are class when you get in!

Alternatively Kultfabrik is a guaranteed spot where you'll have no trouble at all and perfect for groups and guys n girls who are just up for a great time.

It's effectively an industrial estate with 25-30 pubs and clubs all with different themes great spot and you won't be disappointed especially if you're there after a day in the tents!!

You'll have a savage time

also check out this forum, lots of good tips for munich and oktoberfest

http://www.toytowngermany.com/munich

Flying out tomorrow morning, can't wait :pac:
    Thanks for all the suggestions lads.

• Advertisement

Flying out tomorrow morning, can't wait :pac:
    Thanks for all the suggestions lads.

Enjoy:)

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Owen101

Theres a brewery onsite at the airport (airbrau) in the common area between terminal 1 and 2 with beer garden and all.
    Best of all, 2.30 a pint.

2 thumbs up on that it's an excellent place for either first or last beer in/out of Munich. Also if in Marienplatz check out ;

Bratwurst Glöckl
    http://www.bratwurst-gloeckl.de/

Very old, very authentic. There's a service area around the side by stairs amazing beer there. Dont ring the bell though or prepare to get out your wallet. And if you just want to score, head to Killians after (not as bad as people say).

Re the 'fest itself, go to HB tent and use whatever charm/covert/cunning means to get in one of the numerous side doors. Split up and meet up again when inside. There's always a security guy inside the door letting people out/in (usually girls). If prepared to wait a bit they will see u and let you in. Above all be patient. Well worth getting down there also for the 'off' around 12 noon I think as the tension/build-up is great with everyone gagging for brew.

Enjoy your trip, let us know how you go.

Just back a few hours ago. An amazing experience, couldn't believe the scale of it :D Didn't get to do a lot of the things I had hoped to,just not enough time. Does anyone know if Augustiner edelstoff is available here? The best beer I've tried in years :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Augustiner Edelstoff is available here alright at a select few off licenses.
    Sweeneys Off Licence's on Finglas Road in Glasnevin stock it. Probably not much good to you in Cork but there's bound to be a few in Cork that also stock it. It's not cheap though, €3.50 a bottle.

if i am correct abbots ale house in cork has edelstoff.
    ( At least so says the other half when she was there the last time. )

the fest is big enough all right.
    Aparantly place to seat 100,000 indoors and out.

if i am correct abbots ale house in cork has edelstoff.
    ( At least so says the other half when she was there the last time. )

the fest is big enough all right.
    Aparantly place to seat 100,000 indoors and out.

I've never noticed it there before, but then I've only tried it in the last few days and never noticed it. Will pop in tomorrow to see if they have it. Must pop into aldi and see if they have lowenbrau this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Did they have lowenbrau before?

Shamrok wrote: »
    Did they have lowenbrau before?

They did the last two years, bought two cases of it last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

I used to love Lowenbrau when I lived in Germany. Tesco here had it a few years back but other than that haven't seen it much unfortunately.

• Advertisement

here's an interesting 4 minute bbc worldwide TV piece where the journalist tries out being a waitress at the Oktoberfest !!
    You also get a good impression of how much craic is to be had by the punters themselves.
    Not a humpy head in sight!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/fast_track/9059911.stm

BTW:
    there was record amount of beer drank this year, over 7 million litres for the first time.
    And the last Saturday was also one of the busiest ever days, officially 600,000 visitors over the day, the police though unofficially reckon it was more like 800,000 from their helicopter surveilance. Mad stuff.

Maßkrug head-cavings are up 58% at 60 this year.

here's an interesting 4 minute bbc worldwide TV piece where the journalist tries out being a waitress at the Oktoberfest !!
    You also get a good impression of how much craic is to be had by the punters themselves.
    Not a humpy head in sight!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/fast_track/9059911.stm

BTW:
    there was record amount of beer drank this year, over 7 million litres for the first time.
    And the last Saturday was also one of the busiest ever days, officially 600,000 visitors over the day, the police though unofficially reckon it was more like 800,000 from their helicopter surveilance. Mad stuff.

Cool video, that was the last tent we visited while we were there, good times :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭redlead

Bump

Does anyone have any advice on how to book beer tents. This seems very difficult to do on the internet as far as I can see. I went there in 2006 and just bribed my way onto a table but don't want to risk that this time. There are 8 of us.

Also I don't think my liver will last 4 days of hardcore drinking. Can anyone recommend anything to do/see that doesn't involve beer.

Cheers

redlead wrote: »
    Bump

Does anyone have any advice on how to book beer tents. This seems very difficult to do on the internet as far as I can see. I went there in 2006 and just bribed my way onto a table but don't want to risk that this time. There are 8 of us.

Also I don't think my liver will last 4 days of hardcore drinking. Can anyone recommend anything to do/see that doesn't involve beer.

Cheers
    We asked about booking a table at a few tents and were told to book a year or two in advance! We were able to get a table each day we were there. Just had to hang around and wait till a few people left the tent and find a gap at a bench.
    The bmw factory tour is meant to be good, I was too hangover to go while I was there though. Plenty of stuff to do around Munich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Cheers

trip up to the olympicpark lovely grounds with lake, the stadium, the 1000ft tower with a view to the alps http://www.olympiapark.de/?L=1 bmw museum is across the road so you can do that do, Englischer Garten is a nice spot on a sunny day

fussen on the austrian border is about 2hr by train south of munich, lovely part of the world and its got some famous castles among them the inspiration for disneys castle

• Advertisement

Bump

Does anyone have any advice on how to book beer tents. This seems very difficult to do on the internet as far as I can see.
    Give up is the best advice.

Waaaaaaaay to late now to be looking into it.

On a good day monday to friday you'd get into a tent normally no bother, with the exception of when the doors have a tendency to close at about 5pm when theres a reservations changeover.
    As I've said elsewhere, getting into a tent is a balls on a wet day, and chronic at the weekend on a wet day. The beergardens are not taking the overspill like on a good day so everyones gunning for a tent. You can try bribing a security man but they are getting really really strict on that now, as in the police are getting involved.
    So on a wet day I'd say to be paitent and persevere but be prepared for disapointment and have a backup plan like the Pschorr Keller or Augustiner Brewery nearby as a place to drink and dry yourself off. Augustiner is only 2.70 a pint or something so always a good place to start off for beer and food before heading to the fest anyhow!

Augustiner Brewery nearby as a place to drink and dry yourself off. Augustiner is only 2.70 a pint or something so always a good place to start off for beer and food before heading to the fest anyhow!

We practically lived in the Augustiner Keller while we were there :D

We practically lived in the Augustiner Keller while we were there :D
    im on about the augustiner brewery though which is the Oktoberfest side of the railway lines whereas the keller (+beergarden) is just the other side of the railway.

On the same thought, in the past 5 years the Augustiner am Dom has opened up downtown beside the cathedral there just off marienplatz(beside kilians irish pub).
    Great spot. Phenomenal beer. Good enough service and some quite radiant bar maids. Fantastic location and never too much of a problem getting a seat so always one to keep in mind if in downtown Munich.

Someday when I have time on my hands i intend on posting a definitive beer drinkers pub tour of Munich getting in as many different brands as possible in as nice surroundings as is possible. The hard bit there is finding non munich beer in the city, but there are places!

Advertisement