Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions for timber to make custom beading

Options
  • 23-08-2010 8:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭

Need to make some beading for around a laminate floor.

The beading will be painted before fitting and will vary in width from 15 mm to 30.

Looked at the scotia type profile which is acceptable to client but the max I can find is 22mm in a solid profile, above that the back is cut out of the beading, making it much tricker to fit as I can only fix to wall.

I will probably use a raised panel profile

Am looking for some suggestions on timber type and where to get it: an in North County D
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Could u not use a coving bit in your router and rout your own coved beading? Or even buy a scotia bit for your router. I would rout it in a router table for stability as well

you may have to buy 1.5" timber and machine it down to your required dimensions. Timber will depend on what the floor is and if the client would like a contrast between the beading and the floor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Timber will be painter white so no matching/contrast required.

I have access to the spindle moulder with the raised panel profile so just looking for a suitable timber that will finish out and not split or warp.

Red deal? from where in North County?
    Thanks

The main problem you wil encounter with the red deal is the pockets of sap that sometimes appear after it has been machined. I would try the likes of brooks for kiln dried red deal. Be extremly careful with a spindle moulder. When u have the cutter installed in the spindle moulder place a block of 9x2 timber for a minute or two when u first turn it on just in case a cutter works loose. I have seen a cutter work loose out of a spindle moulder in a workshop before and it was a very scary sight. Thankfully no one was in its path but it left an allmighty dent in the dust extractor hood over the cutter block!

Advertisement