Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bizarre/Illegal things on motorways

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

nonsense that its distasteful? put yourself out and find a place for the sake of public decency.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

V480 wrote: »
    Nonsense. We must be the worst country in Europe when it comes to providing that kind of thing. The whole way from Cork to Dublin on the motorway and there is not one place to stop for a p!ss, and I dont mean pulling in to some bloody filling station or McDonalds in a town off the motorway I mean proper toilet faciliities meant for drivers using the motorways. If you go to France you will see these everywhere and they are kept impeccably clean too.

and how long have France had motorways?! These things dont just pop up overnight, there will be online facilities eventually, but perhaps they should have kept the roads closed until these were built, and left you driving on the back roads? Get off at an exit, there'll be a jacks nearby. or at least a ditch you can hide behind

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

zuroph wrote: »
    and how long have France had motorways?! These things dont just pop up overnight, there will be online facilities eventually, but perhaps they should have kept the roads closed until these were built, and left you driving on the back roads? Get off at an exit, there'll be a jacks nearby. or at least a ditch you can hide behind

Yeah! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭who_am_I?

There will be no cash for online facilities for at least 10 years. The IMF are coming next week.
    All we can hope for is better signposts on the motorways to direct us off of them.

All the facilities on the Old N roads are still there, You can still stop in
    Urlingford, Cashel, Michelstown Portlaoise, Kildare Etc With very little Difficulty.

Facilities on-line tend to be a bit of a rip off anyway.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Since the 1960s, but that's not the point. Their services and Aires (rest stops) werre built at the same time as the Autoroutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

corktina wrote: »
    Can I just point out how distasteful and unnecessary stopping for a P at the side of the road is anywhere...(In some countries, it's a Public Order Offence with a fine attached.) Its not the 1980s, theres loads of places with Loos avaialble now within 15 minutes of the need becoming apparent.
    You may not have had the pleasure of driving with a two year old, when the time to safely stop from motorway speed and unbuckle a car seat is about as much time as is available....:eek:

The fact there's no rest stops on the road Motorway from Dublin to Limerick or Cork, or even plans to build them, shows the nra for the incompetent eejits they are.

Also while pissing in public may be illegal, gawking isn't and I'd reckon that's far more distasteful but again a necessary evil in travelling with children.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The tender went out for the Cashel MSA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

You may not have had the pleasure of driving with a two year old, when the time to safely stop from motorway speed and unbuckle a car seat is about as much time as is available....:eek:

there is no way to stop safely on a Motorway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

MYOB wrote: »
    The tender went out for the Cashel MSA.

When?

Furet wrote: »
    When?

On searching, it was only the CPO. Oops. :o

Still, thats further than any of the ones on the M7 have got.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Good. Getting Cashel built would do for now, but the M8 needs one.

One near Borris on the M7 and one near Carlow on the M9 should be priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Not Motorway - but have to share as its Bizarre and I almost wet my pants!

See the image below, See the roundabout? Well a lady reversed back up on to it, into oncoming traffic and puts on her indicator to turn left, while traffic just kept going by her. I first thought she was going to park there.

Look at the image:
    http://www.google.ie/maps?ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Limerick,+County+Limerick&ll=52.649199,-8.576218&spn=0.00095,0.003929&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=52.649289,-8.575928&panoid=B-i-4imJyTNR2XoXlji5ng&cbp=12,285.31,,0,1.87

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Cassidy28

I was driving on the n1 northbound a few days ago just past lissenhall i saw a car pulled in the hard shoulder,i took a quick glance into the car there where two people sitting in the car,and then about 100mts up the road i saw two children about 5 years of age running up and down the hard shoulder very close to live traffic,and the responsible adults where just sitting in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Saw a pedestrian with backpack walking in the outside lane (!!!!) of the M1 at about 3.15am last night, between J1 M50 and J2 Airport NB. Called 11850 and was put through to Swords Gardaí - no answer. Called trafficwatch - on hold for ages, had to hang up. Would have called a different station but by this stage it was 15 mins later, so I did another pass on the way back home and he was gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭NFD100

They are a lazy shower. Hopefully when the IMF has a look at the Traffic Corps, they'll make some radical changes.

I NEVER see the Traffic Corps on motorways enforcing the law. NEVER. What do they do? What are they paid to do? Useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Cassidy28

NFD100 wrote: »
    They are a lazy shower. Hopefully when the IMF has a look at the Traffic Corps, they'll make some radical changes.

I NEVER see the Traffic Corps on motorways enforcing the law. NEVER. What do they do? What are they paid to do? Useless.
    Most times you see them on the ramps that where made for them to check speed etc on the motorways,with the seats back and having a nice little rest,after all they do deserve it with all the hard work they do:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

2 farmers walking across the motorway today on the M18 to get to the other side. It wont be the last time these guys will try this stunt belive me.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

Whats going on with the M18/N18 Did they not build farm under/over passess?

limklad wrote: »
    M20 does not reach the Foynes road/Dock road N69 as it stops at the Rosbrien Interchange. It is the N18 national 100kph road that intersect with the N69 and it meets M20/M7 at Rosbrien Interchange. As you stated the Tractor and a Digger enter the N18 from Roxborro and head North to the Dock road had a legal right to as it not a Motorway. If you see the colour of the signs of that stretch is all National route Green and not Motorway blue. You need to re read the Rules of the road for correct sign usage.
    http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/understanding-traffic-signs/index.html
    kiwipower wrote: »
    "I have actually attempted to access the rules of the road website since the 11.11.10 but the site appears down. As such I have just emailed the RSA asking for clarification about tractors on the motorway."

I got a reply from the RSA to my Email last Thursday:

"...Thank you for contacting the Road Safety Authority. Apologies for the delay in coming back to you. I forwarded your query to our Driving Test Supervisor Pat D’arcy for his response. Please see below.

Vehicles incapable of a speed of at least 50km/h are not permitted to enter a motorway, however, as most modern day Agricultural Tractors, Diggers and some construction vehicles are now capable of speeds of 60km/k to 80km/h. As there is no section in the Road Traffic Act at present, which deals with these vehicles specifically with regard to driving on Motorway’s, they are permitted to use the Motorways at present because of their upper speed limit, however discussions are taking place at the moment with a view to a change in the Road Traffic Act to prohibit these vehicles from using Motorways in the future. ..."

Sounds like a positive safety step might be under way, the removal of slow and dangerous vehicles off the motorway network!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

just change the 50 to 80, simples. rather than blabbin on for ages and coming up with all sorts of nonesense rules to ban this type of tractor or that type of whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

NFD100 wrote: »

police-officer-box-of-donuts-thumb6492671.jpg

just change the 50 to 80, simples. rather than blabbin on for ages and coming up with all sorts of nonesense rules to ban this type of tractor or that type of whatever.
    Just put a couple of these at the on-ramps!

R101.jpg

Just put a couple of these at the on-ramps!

R101.jpg

Would cause a lot of dozy drivers to drive below 50.

Would lead to an interesting situation around the airport, "you must drive exactly at 80km/h".

Maybe the could base Motorway usage (and in my opinion most HQDC's) on the Licience required to drive the vehicle?
    It could be something like: "no L-Plates", "no Class W vehicles", "no unlicenced vehicles."

Though I do agree the minimum speed limit would be useful to. Maybe a general requrement that minimum speed must be within 30% of the speed limit?

Though I do think they need to look further that just the motoway/DC. I think the practice of using agricultural vehicles as transport on all roads should be reviewed, for Road Safety, Impact on Road Surface and Taxation Reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭busman

The RSA had a consultation report back in 2008 about the Use of agricultural vehicles and works vehicles on public roads

I can't find the actual report on their site anymore just this reference :
    http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Vehicles-and-Legislation/Consultations/Closed-consultations-/Agricultural-vehicles-and-works-vehicles/

Like most reports probably on a dusty shelf!

Found it on google here!! :
    http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBcQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Frsa.ie%2FDocuments%2FVehicle%2520Std%2520Leg%2FConsultations%2FAgri%2520Report.pdf&ei=sAXtTLnQNNCEhQe_8pjMDA&usg=AFQjCNGiRESfmFASZaJAGss7YF5c38oLiA&sig2=uwkBHVvMMQsgvufVQNtjgw

Interesting read :rolleyes:

Saturday: Saw a pedestrian on the M7 walking on the hard shoulder, a mere foot or two from traffic - scary

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Mc Love wrote: »
    Saturday: Saw a pedestrian on the M7 walking on the hard shoulder, a mere foot or two from traffic - scary
    swear you're following me, saw the same guy I'd say. crossed the slip road at the rosbrien interchange right in front of me. idiot. Tried ringing roxboro and it rang out!

M7 today, horse and cart speedtesting with their friends driving in the hard shoulder beside them. Roxboro answered this time.

swear you're following me, saw the same guy I'd say. crossed the slip road at the rosbrien interchange right in front of me. idiot. Tried ringing roxboro and it rang out!

M7 today, horse and cart speedtesting with their friends driving in the hard shoulder beside them. Roxboro answered this time.

Wasnt the same guy zuroph, I was up near Naas. But I have seen a lad walking his two dogs waiting for traffic to pass so he could navigate his way across the road.

try phoning traffic watch next time 1890205805

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Empire o de Sun

Good to see RTÉ are reporting on the grass between a slip road and the M50 mainline last night. :rolleyes:

Advertisement