Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bizarre/Illegal things on motorways

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

really? i dont think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭niloc1951

corktina wrote: »
    really? i dont think so.
    :confused: don't think what so :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I dont think that such an action in this country would be bizarre...methinks you slander out Gards who would do just the same to remove an obstruction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭niloc1951

corktina wrote: »
    I dont think that such an action in this country would be bizarre...methinks you slander out Gards who would do just the same to remove an obstruction.
    Doesn't equate with the amount of dangerous debris I've seen, sections of exhausts, remnants of tyres, 5 gallon drums, baulks of timber even a bale of straw, not to mention abandoned cars, on our motorways and dual carriageways.
    I spent ten years commuting on the M50 and M7/N7, long before M'ways stretched beyond the pale, I speak from the experience of seeing traffic having to avoid the same piece of debris for a number of days.

But I agree to differ from your opinion, won't be back in the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

niloc1951 wrote: »
    Missed my point by a mile, or should that be a kilometer.

I never considered it illegal, BUT such actions in this country of ours would be bizarre ;);):rolleyes::rolleyes:

Not on a motorway, but a few months back I was coming into Nenagh from Thurles, and just before the Nenagh Rugby Club, there is a bad bend where a branch had fallen blocking the opposite lane, traffic had built up, as cars tried to "overtake" it, made harder because it was on a bend(there was not enough room to pull it off the road, as the ditch was overgrown. I rang the Nenagh Garda Station informing what had happened so they could either clear the road or help direct traffic atleast. an hour later a friend was on the road and he said that the branch was still there blocking the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭bodun

Coming up the motorway yesterday just before Naas there was a dead sheep on the side of the road, I know its not unusual to see dead animals on a motorway, but a sheep is a new one for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

Tremelo wrote: »
    Saw it reported on the 9pm news that two pedestrians were killed on the M20 last night.

From The examiner

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/kfeycwmhsngb/rss2/#ixzz1BNEF4R9w
    The two victims of the incident are understood to have left a vehicle they were travelling in and been involved in an altercation while lying on the overtaking lane of the N20 just outside Limerick city before midnight on Wednesday.

Darwin Award candidates :(:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭NFD100

Last night in pitch darkness on the M1 southbound, guy stopped dead in driving lane on Broadmeadow bridge, no lights on, never mind hazards. He was out of the car and peering over the bridge.... Cars swerving all round. LETHAL!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Cassidy28

NFD100 wrote: »
    Last night in pitch darkness on the M1 southbound, guy stopped dead in driving lane on Broadmeadow bridge, no lights on, never mind hazards. He was out of the car and peering over the bridge.... Cars swerving all round. LETHAL!

Ah he was probably just looking to see what was around the area,maybe he was doing a quick spot of fishing.

Cassidy28 wrote: »
    Ah he was probably just looking to see what was around the area,maybe he was doing a quick spot of fishing.
    He should be thankful there weren't any flying fish ready to take the bait! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Haven't seen this thread before. Flippin' 'eck -- can't quite believe some of the things that have been spotted.

My little contribution, rather unremarkable in comparison.

M6 a few months ago. Bus stopped in the emergency lane westbound just past Exit 14 and allowing a passenger to get off. The passenger then ran across and up the ramp.

M18 last week. Well after lighting-up time, slow-moving tractor with unlit cattle trailer chugging along in the emergency lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Please tell me this is a side road at the Balbriggan junction on the M1 this morning and not this guy doing what I think he's doing.

Site0Camera109.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

They look to me like rear lights, look at the red reflection on the road surface.

Roryhy wrote: »
    They look to me like rear lights, look at the red reflection on the road surface.

Brake lights, perhaps the cameras appear to make bright (red) lights appear white.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Phoned in a tractor with no rear lights on its trailer, driving on the hard shoulder, of the M11, in the dark with howling wind and severe rain there earlier. Dunno if the Guards did respond but at least the Trafficwatch guy took the details and said he'd phone Rathnew there and then rather than go through the full logging process (which would get to Rathnew about a week too late).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭funnyname

8.25pm tonight on the Oranmore exit (going west) of the M6, car reversing back down onto the motorway instead of driving up going through the roundabout and then back down onto the motorway, oh I laughed, NOT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭laughter189

Not a day goes by , but I meet some crazy drivers on our roads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Think I saw it all this am.....

A guy hitchhicking on the M50 :)

As you came around the freeflow from the M1 to headtowards Ballymun exit (West or SB whichever) he was standing in the piece of grass seperating you from the N32 to M50 traffic. i.e the old exit off the M1/M50 roundabout onto the M50.

At least he was only thumbing the traffic coming from the roundabout and not the traffic tearing down the freeflow ramp :D

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

Saw it with my own eyes - couple of months ago - traffic corp jeep had pulled over a cyclist on M11 (on the "flyover" heading towards Loughlinstown Hospital roundabout). Looked like they were about to load bike into jeep.

Yay for the traffic corp!

And I haven't seen that numpty in the silver VW golf heading south on N/M11 for a while - she joins (slowly) at Fassaroe and continues (slowly) until at least Wicklow. Strikes me as a learner who has taken down her L plates - you know the sort - hunched over wheel with hands in the two and ten positions - blissfully unaware of the tail backs and near misses of those trying to get around her.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭rameire

Saw a Tard today.
    coming south on the m9 between junction 2 and 3.

woman in a grey seat.
    was using her phone hands free,
    it was jammed into the steering wheel,
    she was leaning forward, roughly about 1 inch from the phone/steering wheel.
    she then comes off at junction 3 behind me while still leaning into the phone.
    and then goes round the roundabout to the 3rd exit, while still leaning forward.
    some people should be not allowed near roads.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

MYOB wrote: »
    Phoned in a tractor with no rear lights on its trailer, driving on the hard shoulder, of the M11, in the dark with howling wind and severe rain there earlier. Dunno if the Guards did respond but at least the Trafficwatch guy took the details and said he'd phone Rathnew there and then rather than go through the full logging process (which would get to Rathnew about a week too late).

Yeah, if I see something that needs immediate attention I'll ring the nearest station. I remember I had to ring Swords a while back because some dipstick in a cinquecento (the car, by the way, that crumples like fly paper on impact) had broken down and parked with his hazards on....half in the centre median, half in the outside lane! The Garda was really nice about it, said he would have a car there straight away which was reassuring. (Think Swords has a TC car anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭funnyname

Friday evening at about 6pm, saw a car reversing down the hard shoulder of the M4 and it looked like they were attempting to get onto M6, some people really deserve Darwin awards.

funnyname wrote: »
    Friday evening at about 6pm, saw a car reversing down the hard shoulder of the M4 and it looked like they were attempting to get onto M6, some people really deserve Darwin awards.

Just goes to show, it really doesn't matter how big or how many signs there are, some muppet will still miss the turn!

traffic-sign.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Saw a jogger on the M11 just north of the Bray North exit last week...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,769 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Nuttzz wrote: »
    What about the reduce speed sign at j7 on the m1 which is still there. It's left over from when the motorway ended at that point

I was wondering what that sign was about!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Phoned in yet another cyclist on a motorway (M4) on Wednesday evening, this one wasn't one of the lycra'ed up ones who appear to think they've a right to use the motorway, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Aidan1

East bound on the M6 on a busy Sunday afternoon - silver Focus C-Max pulls in onto the hard shoulder, woman gets out of the passenger side, walks around the car, and while standing with both feet in the driving lane, opens the drivers door. Cue much braking and swerving and beeping from cars in the driving lane.

The punchline; this was about 250m short of Junction 5 - you could clearly see the slip road.

Loads of Traffic Corps cars out over the weekend also - including several stopped on 'on ramps'. Haven't seen that in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭transylman

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

transylman wrote: »

Thats actually the N18 north of the Limerick tunnel toll plaza. Still a moron though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

Thats actually the N18 north of the Limerick tunnel toll plaza. Still a moron though.

Just wonering. Is this a speed camera? Or just a security camera?

Advertisement