Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bizarre/Illegal things on motorways

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

corktina wrote: »
    you will not be gone for driving without fue consideration. Please provide one example if you believe this to be true.

No "believe" about it. Ask any member of GTC. Its the primary cause of driving without due consideration penalties here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭niloc1951

MYOB wrote: »
    The IAM, despite me being a fully paid up member, are effectively the DEFINITION of self appointed road safety experts, for there is no regulation or legislation behind their existence.

Them using the phrase does not make it less of a completely incorrect buzz-phrase. At least they couple it with some accuracy - that in the correct conditions the limits ARE the recommended speed. I've never seen you, or the person who originally threw it in as an inaccurate statement provide the second part.

On that thread and this you ignore the rest of my post there. If you drive well below the limit on a clear road you can expect to be done for driving without due consideration. If you do it on a driving test, you will fail. This shows that the buzzphrase is incorrect.

So, you're a fully paid up member of an organisation which you describe as 'self appointed experts'.

Says it all !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

No "believe" about it. Ask any member of GTC. Its the primary cause of driving without due consideration penalties here.

im asking you.... got a link to any sources?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

The IAM, despite me being a fully paid up member, are effectively the DEFINITION of self appointed road safety experts, for there is no regulation or legislation behind their existence.

Them using the phrase does not make it less of a completely incorrect buzz-phrase. At least they couple it with some accuracy - that in the correct conditions the limits ARE the recommended speed. I've never seen you, or the person who originally threw it in as an inaccurate statement provide the second part.

On that thread and this you ignore the rest of my post there. If you drive well below the limit on a clear road you can expect to be done for driving without due consideration. If you do it on a driving test, you will fail. This shows that the buzzphrase is incorrect.

Perhaps you didn't, but you quoted me referring to it anyway: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69185001&postcount=66

If the UK IAM is a group of self-appointed road safety experts, are IAM members doubly so?

Here's another crew, self-appointed presumably, who also use this mnemonic: http://www.rospa.com/roadsafety/adviceandinformation/driving/speed/toptentips/maximum.aspx

Incidentally, is "driving without due consideration" a formal offence in Irish road traffic law? IOW, is this the term used?

I've asked elsewhere on Boards regarding the name of the offence, but got no response.

We know speed limits are enforced, but is its antithesis also targeted, and if so under what formal heading?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Mod

Folks get back on topic or I'll lock the thread, it's here to discuss bizarre/illegal things on motorways, not the job description of posters / membership of organisations etc.

• Advertisement

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Perhaps you didn't, but you quoted me referring to it anyway: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69185001&postcount=66

You never, ever, ever used the second part that the IAM use - which is that under appropriate conditions the speed limit IS the target speed. That is what I was referring to. I sense deliberate pretence of misunderstanding again.
    Incidentally, is "driving without due consideration" a formal offence in Irish road traffic law? IOW, is this the term used?

I've asked elsewhere on Boards regarding the name of the offence, but got no response.

Its "driving without reasonable consideration", its been an offence for 50 years, carries up to 4 penalty points.
    niloc1951 wrote: »
    So, you're a fully paid up member of an organisation which you describe as 'self appointed experts'.

Says it all !!

I'm a member because they provide high quality driver training and testing (which I've passed) based on UK police standards. But they aren't the UK police, or indeed statutory in any way, shape or form.

On topic, had to phone in someone jogging on the M1, in the pouring rain, at Dundalk today. Definitely wasn't someone who'd broken down running as they were wearing the full jogging get up!

You never, ever, ever used the second part that the IAM use - which is that under appropriate conditions the speed limit IS the target speed. That is what I was referring to. I sense deliberate pretence of misunderstanding again.

Its "driving without reasonable consideration", its been an offence for 50 years, carries up to 4 penalty points.

I'm a member because they provide high quality driver training and testing (which I've passed) based on UK police standards. But they aren't the UK police, or indeed statutory in any way, shape or form.

On topic, had to phone in someone jogging on the M1, in the pouring rain, at Dundalk today. Definitely wasn't someone who'd broken down running as they were wearing the full jogging get up!

In order to comply with Mod direction I am addressing general point highlighted above in another forum.

I will ignore the carping and cavilling.

In order to comply with Mod direction I am addressing general point highlighted above in another forum.

I will ignore the carping and cavilling.

Adressing it by still acting like it doesn't exist?

Road Traffic Act 1961 Section 52. I'm not linking to it, find it yourself.

Adressing it by still acting like it doesn't exist?

Road Traffic Act 1961 Section 52. I'm not linking to it, find it yourself.

Er, no actually, as the link in my post above makes clear.

Er, no actually, as the link in my post above makes clear.

Your post in the other thread didn't exist for some minutes AFTER mine there.

• Advertisement

Your post in the other thread didn't exist for some minutes AFTER mine there.

More carping and cavilling.

I expect you drive faster than I type...

More carping and cavilling.

I expect you drive faster than I type...

If pointing out that something you're referring to doesn't exist at the time of your reference to it is "carping and cavilling" to you, you've got a surreal concept of discussion.

All that existed in terms of posts by you at the time of your link, and my reply, was a post acting as if the offence didn't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

SHUT UP!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Folks! When people open this thread, they want to read about people doing weird/stupid/bizarre things on motorways. They do not want to read a debate about whether or not speed limits are targets. There's plenty of space on the forum to start a new thread if you want to do that.

Now, people ignored a mod warning above. Don't ignore this one, or your access to both this forum and the infrastructure forum will be restricted.

Back on topic now please.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

3 people pushing their bicycles on the grass against the traffic on the M18 yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

3 people pushing their bicycles on the grass against the traffic on the M18 yesterday

On the grass? Does a grass verge count as part of a motorway in the strict legal sense?

Idiotic of them whether it does or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Horse and trap on the M20 hardshoulder this afternoon. Also saw a bus stopped in the hard shoulder the other day, with the entire passenger complement roaming the verge (young lads, appeared to be a pit stop). Madness.

Is there a number you should ring when you see stuff like this? What about debris in the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

On the grass? Does a grass verge count as part of a motorway in the strict legal sense?

Idiotic of them whether it does or not.

Considering they were less than a foot from traffic it would want to! Assumingly they were actually cycling on the road against traffic at one point too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Zoney wrote: »
    Horse and trap on the M20 hardshoulder this afternoon. Also saw a bus stopped in the hard shoulder the other day, with the entire passenger complement roaming the verge (young lads, appeared to be a pit stop). Madness.

Is there a number you should ring when you see stuff like this? What about debris in the road?

Traffic watch 1890 205 805 but thats a waste of time imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

You're allowed phone the Guards while driving irrespective of handsfree kit or not, Furet.
    Really?

• Advertisement

Nevore wrote: »
    Really?

You are yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

-Corkie- wrote: »
    You are yes.
    That's mad. What's to stop you from quick dialing a local station and hanging up when you get pulled for talking on the mobile? You'd have plenty of time before the Garda got to your window, and when he does, sure you were ringing them anyway you were just passed by a dangerously driven x, look Garda, it's in the phone log of the phone, had to hang up before it was answered tho.

That's mad. What's to stop you from quick dialing a local station and hanging up when you get pulled for talking on the mobile? You'd have plenty of time before the Garda got to your window, and when he does, sure you were ringing them anyway you were just passed by a dangerously driven x, look Garda, it's in the phone log of the phone, had to hang up before it was answered tho.

True but that would be telling lies and being fraudulent and all that...:D plus you would need to have the number of a lot of cop shops..

1: you'd have the previous call you were on in your log too
    2: if the Guard didn't believe you they'd demand the phone records to prove the call actually existed.
    3: How likely are you gonna have the number of the local station anyway?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Cyclists on the M8 again after Glanmire exit...:rolleyes:

This is quite interesting are there many instances of this kind of thing? The kneejerk reaction is that if this is regularly going on then it suggests possible misfeasance by the authority that commissioned the motorway as it would imply that they failed to take account of severance effects for people living along the route.

That said I was once cycling through Kildare on my way to Punchestown asked some guards for directions. The route they sent me on turned into the M7 after while.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Anything inside the fenced off area is under motorway order regulations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

This is quite interesting are there many instances of this kind of thing? The kneejerk reaction is that if this is regularly going on then it suggests possible misfeasance by the authority that commissioned the motorway as it would imply that they failed to take account of severance effects for people living along the route.

Cyclists (or, rather, two cyclists in particular) are a very common site on the Glanmire Bypass, which opened in 1992. The alternative route is the R639. And of all the motorway sections in country, this is one that no one with an ounce of sense should cycle on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I have to laugh at this from AA Roadwatch :D
    *OXEGEN MUSIC FESTIVAL* *KILDARE* Motorists leaving the site are unlikely to have slept much during the weekend so special care is required on the way home. *

I have to laugh at this from AA Roadwatch :D

Only in Ireland....:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

tractor northbound just before the M9 M7 junction @ 4pm on sat, driving in the hardshoulder too

trucks in the overtaking lane of the M7 shortly after...

Advertisement