Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bizarre/Illegal things on motorways

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Idiot cyclist on the Watergrasshill Bypass this evening heading south. He was kitted out in full racing gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

M6 somewhere in the midlands a couple of days ago.

As I was about to (legitimately) overtake, the car in front drifted over the white line. Not massively, but enough to make me wonder what the driver was at. Took a quick look and got the impression he was concentrating on something other than his driving. I remarked to my OH that he might actually be texting.

About 5-10 minutes later, just after a toll-booth, the same driver overtook me, then re-entered the left lane much too close to me and without indicating. His brake lights came on briefly and he slowed down significantly.

My first thought was, this geezer is trying to intimidate me or get revenge for some perceived offence.

I overtook him then, and this time my OH had a good look. Sure enough, the guy was driving with his head down, one hand on the wheel and his eyes glued to a mobile phone as he was texting...

Ah, you've got to love the Glanmire Bypass. Cyclist on it again this morning. I bypassed Traffic Watch and phoned him directly into Glanmire Garda Station (021-4821002). They said the road was only recently redesignated (is September 2009 really that recent?) and as such, some people are probably still adjusting. They agreed that it's dangerous though.

Then there's this type of thing:

DSCF4246.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

Tremelo wrote: »
    Ah, you've got to love the Glanmire Bypass. Cyclist on it again this morning. I bypassed Traffic Watch and phoned him directly into Glanmire Garda Station (021-4821002). They said the road was only recently redesignated (is September 2009 really that recent?) and as such, some people are probably still adjusting. They agreed that it's dangerous though.

Sounds to me like they don't give a damn. Maybe you should log those calls and contact the Irish Examiner to let them know that Glanmire Garda Station don't seem to care about cyclists on the motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

The turn off for rathnew M11 southbound Nutcase going from fast lane onto slip road in one go right up at the hatched lines just to jump ahead... Madness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

You get that a lot on that junction. Not quite sure why as there's rarely much of a queue at the top. I'm amazed at the amount of idiots who think they can go from the right lane to slip road in one go.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Glanmire GC know now that its motorway?! Jesus, thats an improvement....

MYOB wrote: »
    Glanmire GC know now that its motorway?! Jesus, thats an improvement....

When I reported the cyclist, I told them that he was "between junctions 18 and 17, heading northbound".

The Guard asked me: "where is that?"

Thinking he hadn't heard me, I repeated that the cyclist was "between junctions 18 and 17, northbound".

Then the Guard said, "Yeah, but where is that?"

Then I had to say, "between the Glanmire and Watergrasshill exits".

Ah, the roads only been there, erm, 20 years? They'll need time ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Tremelo wrote: »
    When I reported the cyclist, I told them that he was "between junctions 18 and 17, heading northbound".

The Guard asked me: "where is that?"

Thinking he hadn't heard me, I repeated that the cyclist was "between junctions 18 and 17, northbound".

Then the Guard said, "Yeah, but where is that?"

Then I had to say, "between the Glanmire and Watergrasshill exits".

Tape the conversation next time, ask for his name during and write a written complaint to his seargant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

I presume its common enough, but a couple of times i've seen people STOP on the on ramp to consider their options before merging entering the road,

Only in Ireland!
    But when learners are banned from the motorways altogether (not even in the controled environment of a proper lesson with an instructor), and old ones who never did a test or lessons in their lives are diverted automatically onto these roads, you have to expect a certain amount of inocent stupidity on these new fangled roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Saw a guy the other day pulled over on the side of the motorway (just at the end of a Garda speed ramp for a snooze at around 5pm. The real kick in the teeth here was that he was between both of the MSA's on the M1!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

Saw a car towing another car on the M6 yesterday between Athlone and Ballinasloe. Unbelievable. Specially since there is nowhere those people were going that is not serviced by a now-empty R road.

serfboard wrote: »
    Saw a car towing another car on the M6 yesterday between Athlone and Ballinasloe. Unbelievable. Specially since there is nowhere those people were going that is not serviced by a now-empty R road.
    Could have been going further! Anyway nothing illegal about towing a car, assuming it's done correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Could have been going further! Anyway nothing illegal about towing a car, assuming it's done correctly.

Can you tow a more than 50 kmph consistently? http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/motorways/general-rules.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

serfboard wrote: »

Maybe he broke down on the motorway and was being towed to the next exit with a garage.

foinse wrote: »
    Maybe he broke down on the motorway and was being towed to the next exit with a garage.

That's no excuse for breaking the 50 kmph minimum law. Use a tow truck.

Where does it say he was going too slow???

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

:confused:

you only have to be capable of doing 50, not actually doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Tractor and low loader with dumper and fairly large tracked digger pulled over by traffic cops yesterday am about 8.30am on the M7 (around Naas). Think I met the same unit coming SB on the N7 near Blackchurch (non-motorway), empty, later that evening.

• Advertisement

:confused:

you only have to be capable of doing 50, not actually doing it.

The stopping distance at 50 kmph is 24m - http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/speed-limits/speed-limits_stopping-distances-cars.html

Have you seen many 24m tow ropes?

Have you seen many 24m tow ropes?

Reminds me of watching a couple of young lads towing a car through town, they had a long rope and the towed car had four lads in it as well.

They pull up to the traffic lights, the second car rolling right up to the towing car, the lights go green.

The driver floors it (forgetting that he was towing) TWANG! the rope tightens and all I see was four heads rock backwards, fast as the car lurched after the tow car! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

dolanbaker wrote: »

Where does it say he was going too slow???

Think there is a minimum speed limit on motorways

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

just south of exit 28 today on m7, guy fishing off the bridge into river below.

zuroph wrote: »
    just south of exit 28 today on m7, guy fishing off the bridge into river below.

Ugh. For God's sake.

Elderly eejit gentleman towing a horsebox on the M8 south of Cahir, driving very slowly half in the emergency lane, half in left-hand driving lane. Major hazard, because a convoy of large trucks obscured the view of said elderly gentleman. Therefore multiple cars went into the overtaking lane to pass out the trucks, and were freaked out when the trucks had little choice but to muscle in on them in order to avoid the elderly gentleman and his horsebox. I emphasise elderly because I have never seen a younger person do that. Probably never even sat a test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Reminds me of watching a couple of young lads towing a car through town, they had a long rope and the towed car had four lads in it as well.

They pull up to the traffic lights, the second car rolling right up to the towing car, the lights go green.

The driver floors it (forgetting that he was towing) TWANG! the rope tightens and all I see was four heads rock backwards, fast as the car lurched after the tow car! :D

people dont seem to realise it is the job of the towed driver to keep the rope taut at all times.Takes a bit of learning I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Car stopped on the N18/M7 bridge in Limerick facing the wrong way in the overtaking lane - how are these people allowed on the roads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Northbound on the M7, between Junctions 15 and 14 (Ballybrittas/Monastervin bypass), I've occasionally seen a car parked at the northern end of the armco protecting the bridge over the river Barrow, with a few lads down on the riverbank fishing.

Also, I live/work adjacent to the Portlaoise toll plaza on the M7, so I get to observe it pretty regularly. The amount of vehicles that pull up on the hard shoulder both before and after the plaza is staggering. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

Coming home yesterday inbound towards Limerick on the M20, Passing Patrickswell exit a light blue van comes down the on ramp with a car in front of him, decides he's not waiting, and pushes out across the hatch markings. My GF was driving and she had to break hard to avoid him (she was going to pull into the overtaking lane when it was clear). Front of the car was only about a metre or two from the back of the van.

He then forced his way into the overtaking lane and started to bully his way up the road. Gave me great pleasure to see him pulled in getting a bollocking from the GTC just past the Dooradoyle exit.:D

• Advertisement

glanmire cyclist out again. Glanmire station informed again.

Advertisement