Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bizarre/Illegal things on motorways

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Dunno if its just me or has anyone else ntoiced the amount of people being 'picked up' (like as in its a street corner waiting for a lift to work) on the M50? It seesm like every morning now I see at least one person there with a plastic bag in their hand (lunch I presume) and clearly waiting for their colleague to pick them up. It just seems so strange on a motorway and its only a matter of time before an accident happens because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Dunno if its just me or has anyone else ntoiced the amount of people being 'picked up' (like as in its a street corner waiting for a lift to work) on the M50? It seesm like every morning now I see at least one person there with a plastic bag in their hand (lunch I presume) and clearly waiting for their colleague to pick them up. It just seems so strange on a motorway and its only a matter of time before an accident happens because of it.

See this at the Coldcut Road overbridge and never anywhere else...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

MYOB wrote: »
    See this at the Coldcut Road overbridge and never anywhere else...

See some guy a lot of mornings just after Ballymount (heading Southbound), and two guys opposite Coldcut bridge in between there and Clondalkin. This morning seen someone just before the Firhouse exit too. It also seems to be happening more frequently now. Maybe its only at the time I travel, about 6.45-7ish in the morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭footie_fanatic

some people have no common sense

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

I saw two boys about 13-14 moving along the centre barrier on the M50, somewhere between Ballinteer and Scholarstown on Sunday - mad stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Magic Beans

Not a motorway but... On the Athlone bypass I saw a Mitsubishi Pajero towing a horsebox at a little over 70mph. The Pajero was being towed on a bar by a Landcruiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

Not a motorway but... On the Athlone bypass I saw a Mitsubishi Pajero towing a horsebox at a little over 70mph. The Pajero was being towed on a bar by a Landcruiser.

Let me get this right...

A Landcruiser was towing a Pajero; Which in turn was towing a horsebox?

At about 120 Kilometres an hour?

Any sign of James May???? (Or any of the other lads?)
    How does a Landcruiser have that much power?
    Was there a Horse outside to? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Magic Beans

Yes, that is absolutely correct. No horse in the box, so the box would have been fairly light. Once you get up to that speed it's not hard to maintain it I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

Yes, that is absolutely correct. No horse in the box, so the box would have been fairly light. Once you get up to that speed it's not hard to maintain it I'd imagine.

Maintaining Speed maybe easy enough, but surly maintaining a straight line would have to be a challenge? Or Stopping/slowing down for that matter!

Would hate to see the result if they suddenly had an Athlone Tractor pull out from a slip road in front of them! :eek:

Surely it had to be a Top Gear carefully controlled experiment? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

Not really Bizarre these days but still Illegal, I passed a tractor with a large load of straw heading southbound on the M8 south of Cahir junction 11. The driver was also on a mobile phone at the time :eek: and was weaving about slightly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

More on the bizarre side of things: I'm always amazed at the amount of traffic I see using the M1/M50 roundabout when travelling from the M50 North to the M50 Tunnel-bound. There is plenty of signage to point toward the freeflow slip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

mayo23 wrote: »
    Some do, yes. But in the UK, dual carraigeways that have motorway speed limits have some restrictions that motorways have (like no pedestrians, cyclists and invalid carriages). Heres one:
    [Embedded Image Removed]

This is the Haddington junction, on the A1 in Scotland. Note the sign showing restrictions and the green direction sign. The speed limits in the distance show 70

Not true. All dual-carriageways in the UK have a default speed limit of 70mph, even ones that allow cyclists:

3829837670_31aab67c6f.jpg

Start of slip- road leading on to A90 dual-carriageway outside Stonehaven in Scotland. Note lack of 70mph sign and lack of restrictions:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=stonehaven&hl=en&ll=56.949574,-2.229911&spn=0.000487,0.002401&t=h&z=19&vpsrc=6&layer=c&cbll=56.949574,-2.229911&panoid=fbLyvIleAbB_LKquu-KkXg&cbp=11,231.35,,0,9.96

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

MYOB wrote: »
    glanmire cyclist out again. Glanmire station informed again.

Maybe this is why they're not enforcing the law on that stretch of the M8:

THE organisation representing the country’s rank-and-file gardaí has described conditions at a Garda station in Co Cork "as no better than a Third World sweatshop factory".

The group is preparing to take legal action to have the Victorian-era station in Glanmire shut down.

The vice-president of the Garda Representative Association (GRA), John Parker, said senior members of his organisation visited the Glanmire station a week ago and were "appalled by what they saw".

"I have arranged for a health and safety expert to view the building early next month with a view to documenting the hazards and risk to life in the station," Garda Parker said.

He said there were no doubts the results of the audit would form the basis of an official complaint to the Health and Safety Authority, and for the enforcement of legal action to close down the station.

"I believe the survey will condemn the upper floor of the station, which would leave the gardaí with no offices, locker rooms, showers, toilets or kitchen facilities," he said.

Last year, the GRA instructed Garda management that the association would tell its members to abandon Glanmire and police the area from Cobh if a new station was not opened.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/garda-station-no-better-than-sweatshop-164951.html#ixzz1VnDuf7iB

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

All the more reason for them to get out in their squad car. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

hitch hikers on the mainline of the m7. I've now seen the full set of banned categories!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Saw a lady reversing along the hardshoulder of the NB carriageway of the M1 the other morning. Just after the exit of the Lusk services.

Must have been some fancy company jeep as it had the following advertising slogan all over it. "Garda Traffic Corp" :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Sulky and Pony on the M20 at Raheen Limerick today.... oh and a driver who may or may not have been a Member of a Minority,

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

corktina wrote: »
    Sulky and Pony on the M20 at Raheen Limerick today.... oh and a driver who may or may not have been a Member of a Minority,

Look like these fellas did he?

Pretty shocking stuff and plenty more just search for Chip N' Pin on YouTube not sure if it's here or the UK but in some of the videos the vans have readable Irish reg's

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It's definitely in Ireland, there's a signpost for the L1703 at the start of the film, which should also identify where it's happening.

It's just south of Mullingar. Take a look at this here http://g.co/maps/6rhv it's the junction at the start of the video. The L1703 sign is more recent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭NFD100

Saturday last, driving up from Wexford town on M11 Arklow bypass. 8-10 young lads, aged about 11-15 walking all over the northbound lanes and central median.

Passanger: ' phone the cops.' Me: "what's the point they won't do anything.'

I rest my case!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭niloc1951

I often wondered where the other half of the brain which the doughnut makers share resides.
    I know now, the sulky drivers and their spectators have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Pedestrian out for a walk on the westbound carriageway of the M7 last night, between J13 and J12. No reflective gear, just a very weak torch. Needless to say, it was pitch dark. No sign of a broken down car, so I doubt s/he was walking to an emergency phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

01092011706.jpg

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Has anyone else noticed roadside memorials to road fatalities appearing on motorways?

There are two that I know of on the M7 between Portlaoise and Naas, this one on the northbound carriageway just before J11 (the restricted junction with the M9):
    174383.jpg

This Google Maps image is quite old, as there's now a much more elaborate permanent memorial in place there. I'm pretty sure it's where the woman died when she crashed into the fire appliance during the heavy fog a few years ago.

There's another one on the southbound carriageway, near either J14 or J15 to the best of my recollection, just after the end of the 'On' slip road.

Both of these memorials are quite elaborate permanent structures and are regularly visited, judging by their well maintained appearance and the fresh floral tributes.

While we all of course have sympathy with the bereaved relatives and friends of the deceased, is it not a bit bonkers for the County Councils/NRA to allow people erect these things alongside motorways?
    It can't be doing anything for road safety to have people parking up on the hard shoulder to visit them; they've surely had enough road-related tragedy visited upon them without adding themselves to the statistics.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

some conspiracy nut has stopped and sprayed a message on EVERY support pillar of the flyovers between limerick and at least as far as roscrea. "Google 911 truth" and "911 was an inside job" etc. :rolleyes: Means he stopped his vehicle at EACH flyover, crossed all lanes, and climbed onto the centre embankment, and up the sides of the flyovers.
    A similar message turned up on a flyover in Limerick last year, on a piece of cloth poorly secured to a flyover in Limerick, I'm guessing its the same asshole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Driving southbound on the M50 today - 11.16 am - car stopped on the tiny margin between the 3rd (fast) lane and the central median. No hazard lights and no driver. Insanity - traffic was flying by and having to swerve to avoid the side of the car. Don't even know how the driver would have gotten out safely -- the drivers door seemed to be jammed up against the median.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

I saw a tractor on the M1 NB between Jct 4 and Jct 6. As I had finished an overtaking manoeuvre, I spotted the slow tractor partially blocking the lane I was entering (around the bend) - I aborted the lane change (there were no vehicles behind me). It was half in the H/S and half in the nearside lane with some attachment (maybe a plow, but certainly what seemed to be an abnormally wide vehicle at least on one side). As I was overtaking it, I gave 3 good blasts of the horn because of the danger it was causing. IMO, tractors should be banned from the motorway no matter what!

Regards!

I saw a tractor on the M1 NB between Jct 4 and Jct 6. As I had finished an overtaking manoeuvre, I spotted the slow tractor partially blocking the lane I was entering (around the bend) - I aborted the lane change (there were no vehicles behind me). It was half in the H/S and half in the nearside lane with some attachment (maybe a plow, but certainly what seemed to be an abnormally wide vehicle at least on one side). As I was overtaking it, I gave 3 good blasts of the horn because of the danger it was causing. IMO, tractors should be banned from the motorway no matter what!

Regards!

There's been a lot of tractors on the M1 in the past few weeks during the harvest season. Saw several tractors and those large oversized balers (a lane and a bit wide!!) including a convoy of 2 the other am heading off at the Donabate exit SB one am this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

yesterday evening, a car towing another car at about 25kmh along between 28 and 27 of M7, perfectly good Wide N road running parallel.

coming towards the M7 toll, van towing a horsebox in the dark with no lights on back of box.

Advertisement