Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bizarre/Illegal things on motorways

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Wild Bill wrote: »
    :confused:

Last junction before Dunkettle and down to Dunkettle is RIDDLED with cyclists, in full cycling gear.

Idiot reversing back for a missed junction today, M8 at Horse & Jockey.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Robbo wrote: »

Her tenth offence, apparently :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭funnyname

Going west on the m6 just after the 2nd Ballinasloe exit, spotted an artic pulled up on the hard shoulder about 500 past the exit, there was another artic pulled up on the hard shoulder of the other side of the motorway.

However the worst was the driver of the artic on my side sprinting across two lanes in the dark of night wearing dark clothes to get back to his lorry.

Lunatic!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭nordydan

Her tenth offence, apparently :D

Tenth time lucky...

nordydan wrote: »
    Tenth time lucky...

That's wimmen for ya! Cats have only nine lives.
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

a few weeks back on the m7 toll near portlaoise,

some traveller lad, was in front of me in a van (:rolleyes:) he didn't have any money on him and he was pleading with the woman in the booth to let him drive on but she wasn't budging..so he comes to me looking for money i tell him i've only got enough for myself..so without delaying any further i reverse and go to the next booth, but yer man walks over to the second queue and starts begging to drivers again:rolleyes:

eventually someone gave him the money, but i was waitin a full 5 mins + before i got through, :(

has something similar happened to anyone else??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

liammur wrote: »
    These guys shouldn't be allowed on any road imo. Very dangerous and there must be an element of cruelty involved. I'm not sure however if it's a good idea to put his photo up on the internet if you didn't receive permission.

Why would you need permission? :confused:

It's just a person in a public place with no expectation of privacy?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Robbo wrote: »
    Interesting judgment in the High Court recently in relation to an incident on the M6 near Rochfortbridge.

TL;DR Version: Party hire a bus to take them to a GAA match, drink ensues, they pressgang the driver into stopping on the hard shoulder for a slash, one gets left behind, wanders into the overtaking lane and gets collected by a car. Judge rules in favour of common sense.

Another thing touched upon was the issue of full beams where there's a concrete median barrier.

You read a judgement but post incorrect facts ....

Where is GAA mentioned?

That was a Soccer club on the trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Posted this on a thread in motors but prob deserves to be here more.

Travelling west bound on the Cork South Ring Road Sunday morning and I encountered a cyclist, cycling contra flow in the overtaking lane.

Never seen insanity like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,987 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I seen a drunken politician driving the wrong way down a motorway one time.

didn't really count though I suppose cause he was a politician so naturally got away with it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

stevieob wrote: »
    I seen a drunken politician driving the wrong way down a motorway one time.

didn't really count though I suppose cause he was a politician so naturally got away with it!

Where did you see this happen? What motorway was it? Did you report it and why do you think it wouldn't matter because he was a politician? Jim McDaid was a politician when he was convicted for Drunk Driving after been stopped driving the wrong way on a dual carriageway while over the legal limit.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

my friend wrote: »
    You read a judgement but post incorrect facts ....

Where is GAA mentioned?

That was a Soccer club on the trip.
    Mea culpa, too late to edit not.

I must apologise for my outrageous slur upon the GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,987 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

cargo wrote: »
    Where did you see this happen? What motorway was it? Did you report it and why do you think it wouldn't matter because he was a politician? Jim McDaid was a politician when he was convicted for Drunk Driving after been stopped driving the wrong way on a dual carriageway while over the legal limit.

It was meant tongue in cheek, just in case you didn't realise, and 1 year ban and a €750 fine in most peoples opinion at the time was nothing short of a disgrace and pretty much was getting away very very lightly, and people felt it would have been treated much more severly if he hadn't been in public office and able to pull the right strings!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭highdef

On the M4 eastbound just after a Kilcock on Saturday the 3rd of this month at about lunchtime, I noticed swerving all over the place ahead. When we got closer, there was a 3 seater leather couch right across lane 1!!! It was a nice brown one and seemed in good nick. Was the right way up and all!!! Looks like someone shed their load and either didn't or else decided to ignore it, probably the former, in fairness

Whoever left that there was sofaking good! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

M50 this morning - this one dawdling down the middle lane, inside lane empty. Truck comes up behind her and blows the horn, doesn't budge. Blows again, still doesn't budge. Eventually, she gets the idea and moves out of the way.
    By pulling into the busy Lane 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭highdef

whyulittle wrote: »
    M50 this morning - this one dawdling down the middle lane, inside lane empty. Truck comes up behind her and blows the horn, doesn't budge. Blows again, still doesn't budge. Eventually, she gets the idea and moves out of the way.

What a stupid tit!

Into the fast lane I guess?

(oh! see it now - as I guessed :D)

Better to just undertake those cretins - all the flashing and blowing will only get yer blood pressure up!

Into the fast lane I guess?

(oh! see it now - as I guessed :D)

Better to just undertake those cretins - all the flashing and blowing will only get yer blood pressure up!
    I tend to just sit in lane one and ignore them!

Yes, I know two wrongs don't make a right, it's just the lesser of two evils.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

This thread just reminded me of an little incident I had a while ago,

Was in the lane 3 on the m50 overtaking a car at the time, looked in my rearview mirror seen a motorbike pulling up behind me quick, so figure get by this car and tuck into the middle lane to let him pass, nah he didnt have time for that so instead he tore by my me on the outside leaving fcuk all distance between my car himself and the grass and was out of sight again withing a minute. Fcuking lunatic.

• Advertisement

Fcuking lunatic.

Indeed, but he's probably in Heaven now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Driving down the M3 just near dunshaughlin heading towards cavan and two women walking on the hard shoulder of the motorway,Not a care in the world. Silly Cows!!

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    Driving down the M3 just near dunshaughlin heading towards cavan and two women walking on the hard shoulder of the motorway,Not a care in the world. Silly Cows!!
    Any broken down cars nearby?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Any broken down cars nearby?

Nope...The where walking away from the nearest exit aswel.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭bbuzz

Last week coming off the M50 (Northbound), heading towards Blanchardstown.

Just after you come around the corner, where the hard shoulder ends, but before you cross back over the mainline and join the N3:

http://maps.google.ie/?ll=53.383168,-6.360655&spn=0.003897,0.009645&hnear=12+Laurleen,+Stillorgan,+County+Dublin&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=53.382944,-6.360275&panoid=G_9eKw6CWIImoYX76zES3A&cbp=12,317.54,,0,-0.2

Two absolute muppets in a Fiesta, run out of petrol, car is at the end of the hard shoulder where it narrows so it's half in the left lane, which is pretty scary when you come around the corner (had just enough time to move over).

Worst part is they were walking back from Blanch with a jerry can (there's not much of a hardshoulder either). Don't know what they were thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

celticbest wrote: »
    11 LH Reg E220 Coupe doing 90Km/h in lane 3 for the whole length of the M50..... :mad:

Stuck behind him the whole way as it is illegal to undertake, that's twice this week I seen the same driver doing this, I will take a picture next week if I get the chance.......

I flashed a car that did this in the tunnel a while back, he was going around 70km/h...rear blue LEDs came on for a few seconds and I shrunk back into the driving lane and did 60km/h the rest of the way :P

In all seriousness though, I don't think it's wrong to flash politely to indicate to the person that they're doing something wrong - if they're just taking the piss then I'll choose to interpret them as "slow moving traffic" and proceed to undertake them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

:D

:D

Groundhog Day :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

sdeire wrote: »
    I flashed a car that did this in the tunnel a while back, he was going around 70km/h...rear blue LEDs came on for a few seconds and I shrunk back into the driving lane and did 60km/h the rest of the way :P

In all seriousness though, I don't think it's wrong to flash politely to indicate to the person that they're doing something wrong - if they're just taking the piss then I'll choose to interpret them as "slow moving traffic" and proceed to undertake them.

Not having a go just pointing out that if it's the DPT I don't think changing lanes is allowed so they couldn't get out of the way and you should have stayed behind them rather than moving back to the driving lane. Doesn't it have those "Stay in Lane" signs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

cargo wrote: »
    Not having a go just pointing out that if it's the DPT I don't think changing lanes is allowed so they couldn't get out of the way and you should have stayed behind them rather than moving back to the driving lane. Doesn't it have those "Stay in Lane" signs?

HGVs aren't allowed to overtake or use the overtaking lane. Cars can, however - that's why it's there.

The Jack Lynch Tunnel in Cork doesn't allow any lane changing but that's only a few hundred metres long.

Advertisement