Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bizarre/Illegal things on motorways

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Saw a guy parked up, taking a dump. No pics though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

If thats the case then it has nothing to do with central government. Special speed limits are set by the local council.

The point still stands, irregardless of speed limit. The thread is about motorways, anything else is technically of topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭etchyed

source wrote: »
    If thats the case then it has nothing to do with central government. Special speed limits are set by the local council.
    But they were legislated for by central government.
    The point still stands, irregardless of speed limit. The thread is about motorways, anything else is technically of topic.
    You mean regardless. But I agree. A lot of the things described in this thread are not illegal on a 120km/h dual carriageway, albeit just as dangerous. The fact that they're not illegal is probably a discussion for another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

jd wrote: »

On a trivia note, is that the only 120kmh D3 in Ireland? A small section of the N25 between Dunkettle and Little Island is D3 but its a weaving lane and not the mainline. The N2 part (a little back from that Google Street View Image) feels more like a genuine D3. No D3 motorways are 120kmh IIRC, they are all 100.

Are there any other examples?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Conor Mortimer just posted this on twitter. As far as I can see, it's taken from the drivers seat while sitting in the overtaking lane on the M50.

https://twitter.com/Conmort/status/234284762792067072/photo/1

ikea is on the left as well.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Driving back from Galway one night and saw 2/3 people thumbing a lift just past the toll booth,An another occasion heading to Belfast one evening just after passing Newry I saw from a distance what seemed to be a slow moving vehicle,As I got closer what looked like a slow moving vehicle was actually a load of lads in cycling gear hogging the left lane :mad:.
    A few weeks later heading back from Belfast I saw a few kids on bikes with no lights free wheeling down the M1 other than that the usual people driving with no lights on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

An another occasion heading to Belfast one evening just after passing Newry I saw from a distance what seemed to be a slow moving vehicle. As I got closer what looked like a slow moving vehicle was actually a load of lads in cycling gear hogging the left lane .

This is not a motorway, so this is perfectly legal.
    It is gross stupidity not to designate motorway class roads as motorways for this very reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Couldn't get any pics but it appears that there have been a few "drifters" out on the M6 between Galway & Loughrea over the past month or so. Several new looking sets of tyre marks swerving across both lanes for about 50m, with a couple of sets of doughnuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭niloc1951

antoobrien wrote: »
    Couldn't get any pics but it appears that there have been a few "drifters" out on the M6 between Galway & Loughrea over the past month or so. Several new looking sets of tyre marks swerving across both lanes for about 50m, with a couple of sets of doughnuts.

So some of those morons are still managing to avoid self extermination :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

its well reported here on how lax the authorities are in Ireland about debris on the motorways.

Barely an hour after setting out from Munich on my epic 6 day (leisurely paced) drive to Ireland I was stunned to see the german way of dealing with debris.

Ahead of me was a stack of traffic with the hazzards on and the blue lights of an emergency vehicle beyond them. Naturally I feared I had hit a fresh accident scene and a possible major delay.

No such fear!
    (to the big irish head on me - bizarely...) it was actually a police car which rushed to the scene of a loose kitchen roll on the carraigeway!
    Obviously at 200kmh+ which is easily possible on this newly upgraded stretch you dont want a heap of paper blocking your windscreen so the police were sent out to deal with the hazzard.

If only the irish authorities were remotely as reactive to debris on the irish motorways!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭nacimroc

I seen a women a few weeks ago drive the wrong way up a sliproad off a motorway, go around the roundabout (the correct way amazingly) then at the next roundabout she went into the right hand lane and took the first exit whilst I was on the inside lane.

From here on in its every man for themselves as far as I'm concerned :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

On a journey up the M7, across the M50 and down the M11 on a Saturday recently I saw some odd behavior from two German Marque drivers at separate times.

The Mercedes:
    (this starts on a motorway, so that's why it's in here)
    On the M7 eastbound approaching J9 (Naas North), there were a few cars ahead of me, with big gaps between them, all cruising at roughly the same speed. Overtaking lane was empty and traffic in general was light.

The lady in the Merc ahead, pulls into the overtaking lane ... and stays there from what I could see the whole way in (I lost sight of her around J2).

OK I can see somebody wanting to avoid the melee if there was a lot of traffic piling out from Naas, but this was mid afternoon on Saturday - very light traffic.

I lost sight of her in my mirrors, because I made better time obeying the speed limit, and lane discipline (OK OK I'll admit - I undertook her - in Lane 1) but I just cannot understand what she was playing at.

But then we come to ...
    The Audi:
    Cruising along the M50 heading south towards the M11, approaching J14, I pass an Audi and return to (what becomes Lane 1). Again traffic was light and there was only myself and the Audi (with a growing gap between us).

I pass the 120kmh signs and speed up and notice in my mirror that as he passes the signs, he moves into the overtaking lane. I thought he might floor it and pass me, but no ... I keep slowly pulling away from him, but there are no other cars apparent to justify his move.

And he stays there.

So my guess is, when the motorway transitions itself in some way, German Marques should move into the overtaking lane and stay there.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Pretty much every day now I see a few lads running across the M3 at Clonee. Saw a combine harvester on that stretch at the weekend too.

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    So my guess is, when the motorway transitions itself in some way, German Marques should move into the overtaking lane and stay there.

;)
    Ze German cars Haf Vays ov staying auf ze Reich! :p

its well reported here on how lax the authorities are in Ireland about debris on the motorways.

Barely an hour after setting out from Munich on my epic 6 day (leisurely paced) drive to Ireland I was stunned to see the german way of dealing with debris.

Ahead of me was a stack of traffic with the hazzards on and the blue lights of an emergency vehicle beyond them. Naturally I feared I had hit a fresh accident scene and a possible major delay.

No such fear!
    (to the big irish head on me - bizarely...) it was actually a police car which rushed to the scene of a loose kitchen roll on the carraigeway!
    Obviously at 200kmh+ which is easily possible on this newly upgraded stretch you dont want a heap of paper blocking your windscreen so the police were sent out to deal with the hazzard.

If only the irish authorities were remotely as reactive to debris on the irish motorways!

I was part of the same type of 'rolling roadblock' on the M4 in the UK a few years ago, that time it was a length of 2"X4" timber which was the piece of debris being collected by the police car.

I also saw police sweeping up broken glass and other bits of debris, which could damage other vehicles tyres, after a crash and putting it into the booth of their car.

That's what I call pro-active road safety measures, which go to enhance the reputation of the police forces and the real seriousness which they apply to the issue of safe roads.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Driving along the M7 between Birdhill and Dublin earlier this week I saw a lot of debris in the HS of the motorway - especially pieces of tyres.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Driving along the M7 between Birdhill and Dublin earlier this week I saw a lot of debris in the HS of the motorway - especially pieces of tyres.

I'm afraid that's nothing new. It really is amazing just how many tyre-bits are strewn along the sides of the motorways. In all my 26 years driving, I've never seen a truck have a de-lamination. :eek:

I'm probably very lucky to not have been close enough to have seen one. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 34,892 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

On a journey up the M7, across the M50 and down the M11 on a Saturday recently I saw some odd behavior from two German Marque drivers at separate times.

The nationality of the car isn't the issue. Simply there are twattish drivers and less twattish drivers. As a motorcyclist, I have a radar for the former - I encounter them every single day - they have no awareness of other road users around them, and little idea of what they themselves want to do - let alone signalling their intetions to other road users in good time.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

I'm afraid that's nothing new. It really is amazing just how many tyre-bits are strewn along the sides of the motorways. In all my 26 years driving, I've never seen a truck have a de-lamination. :eek:

I'm probably very lucky to not have been close enough to have seen one. :p
    Saw a truck coming in the opposite direction towards me have a blow out a few months ago on the (old)N4, the blast knocked over a bush on the opposite side (my side) of the road.
    I was very lucky not to be passing it at the time, it could easily have knocked over a cyclist!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Saw a car and trailer stopped on the M8. 50 metres later, I saw a guy running towards the trailer carrying a chest of drawers.
    These tyres don't come from trucks.

Typically they were trying to run across the road at night and got run over. ;)

• Advertisement

Saw a truck coming in the opposite direction towards me have a blow out a few months ago on the (old)N4, the blast knocked over a bush on the opposite side (my side) of the road.
    I was very lucky not to be passing it at the time, it could easily have knocked over a cyclist!

Super singles, which I believe can be running at pressures in the region of 120 psi/8 Bar, certainly can create a significant shock wave when they decide to go pop :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

Just came across this thread, some brilliant posts!

My two cents worth. I was driving to Dublin from Wexford along the M11 Gorey bypass during the Summer when I noticed a tractor in the distance driving in the outside lane.

I was a bit shocked to see a tractor on the motorway in the first place, and even more a bit to see it in the outside lane.

Imagine my surprise when I got closer and noticed it was driving towards me! :eek:

A tractor, driving the wrong way down the motorway could have caused a serious accident.

Manzoor14 wrote: »
    Just came across this thread, some brilliant posts!

My two cents worth. I was driving to Dublin from Wexford along the M11 Gorey bypass during the Summer when I noticed a tractor in the distance driving in the outside lane.

I was a bit shocked to see a tractor on the motorway in the first place, and even more a bit to see it in the outside lane.

Imagine my surprise when I got closer and noticed it was driving towards me! :eek:

A tractor, driving the wrong way down the motorway could have caused a serious accident.

Just be thankful that it was in daylight, at night it would have appeared to be on the other carriageway until it was too late!

This morning at approx. 7:00am, about 200m past the toll booth, eastbound on the M7 - A Man walking 2 or 3 greyhound on the grass verge. :eek:

I'm pretty sure I saw the same thing a few weeks back, again eastbound M7 about a kilometer before the M7/M8 merge.

In both cases the car pulled up on the grass (in off the hard shoulder).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

The ould dog for the hard road?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

Saw a Dublin coach bus today, on the m7 it was stopped on the hard shoulder with a car stopped behind it, and they were taking on passengers! On the hard shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Wonder if the car is insured by Aviva?
    I take it then that the treadmill and the showband record wasn't working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Iolaire

Never seen a truck lose its re-treads but I was driving on the M9 in Scotland when I saw something ahead of me and getting closer. It must have been about a 100m away when I realised it was a coach or lorry wheel trim bouncing the wrong way along my lane at perhaps 80k's or more. Fortunately it veered into another lane but not before me nearly filling my undercrackers!

It was still going when I went round the next curve in the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

I just drove on the M4 inbound just before it becomes the N4. On the bridge there were two men standing on the side of the motorway fishing!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

DylanII wrote: »
    I just drove on the M4 inbound just before it becomes the N4. On the bridge there were two men standing on the side of the motorway fishing!!

Often see people fishing or kids diving there, particularly on warm evenings (not that it is one tonight!). Lucan station (its in their district rather than Leixlip it seems) seem to deal with it quite quickly if given a buzz.

Advertisement