Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bizarre/Illegal things on motorways

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

pile of newspapers dropped under a flyover on the limerick bypass, obviously there for the delivery van to pick up. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Saw a cyclist on the M7 between finnegans roundabout and N24 junction

Also saw a truck overturned on N7 overpass on at the Red Cow! Second truck to do this at exact same spot in a few months!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

What about the reduce speed sign at j7 on the m1 which is still there. It's left over from when the motorway ended at that point

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭rameire

saw a stupid ugly bint yesterday.
    southbound on the M9 between junstion 2 and 3.
    she was driving a G reg merc.
    she was just driving along in the overtaking lane with not a care in the world.
    she saw me come from miles behind her, when i got close behind her she decided that she would wave me through on the inside.
    i pointed for her to go into lane one and put my indicator on for me to overtake her on the right.
    she did move straight away but she stuck her finger up at me,
    like i did something wrong.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

rameire wrote: »
    saw a stupid ugly bint yesterday.
    southbound on the M9 between junstion 2 and 3.
    she was driving a G reg merc.
    she was just driving along in the overtaking lane with not a care in the world.
    she saw me come from miles behind her, when i got close behind her she decided that she would wave me through on the inside.
    i pointed for her to go into lane one and put my indicator on for me to overtake her on the right.
    she did move straight away but she stuck her finger up at me,
    like i did something wrong.
    From her perceptive: of course you did something wrong, you upset her from her day dreaming, ahem, sorry, train of though!!!
    How dare you over take her (wave fist). She has a right to drive on the road. why should she move over for you after all she drives a merc and you drive nobody vehicle. :p

From everybody else perceptive: Blatant breach of the rules of the road and she deserve the penalty point for not driving on the left and a €60.00 fine.

It is a pity there is not more gardai on the roads and motorway enforcing the rules of the road. They collect Billions in fines for the government so we will not need to pay extra taxes for Anglo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

JCB on the M11 last night slowly heading north in the hard shoulder around Rathnew. Further back there was someone broken down in the hard shoulder so it must have swung out into lane 1 to get past...

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

Furet wrote: »
    Saw a cyclist and two slow-moving tractors on the M18 today (not to mention an abundance of people parked in the emergency lane)...

I saw it and only JUST in time in that THICK FOG just before 8:30! I almost drove into the back of the rear tractor first though! Not only were they on a road they shouldnt be using, they also had no rear lights on! Grrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!

I wonder what the outcome would be if I had been killed driving into it? Would my blood be on their hands? Or would I be responsible for not stopping in time? :(

I then saw them again in the evening as I was coming home driving like they where in the middle of a field on the otherside. Though this time they where technically on the N18. Still not a safe road for them to be on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Alright, I propose that for every such incident we see in the future, write a quick email to the RSA about it too. And tell them if they want to hear reports of more such incidents, then they should look at this thread (supply a link).

kiwipower wrote: »
    I saw it and only JUST in time in that THICK FOG just before 8:30! I almost drove into the back of the rear tractor first though! Not only were they on a road they shouldnt be using, they also had no rear lights on! Grrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!

I wonder what the outcome would be if I had been killed driving into it? Would my blood be on their hands? Or would I be responsible for not stopping in time? :(
    These people are a danger to themselves and to other road users driving unsuitable Vehicles on the Motorway. Please report them to the Traffic Corps @ 1 800 666 111 for everybody safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭lyverbird1

At the northbound exit of the M50 at Ballymun a couple of years back, I observed a vehicle broken down on the hard shoulder just before I proceeded up the off ramp. Imagine my more than mild surprise to see a car perpendicular across both exit lanes right in front of me. He was executing a u turn on the off ramp to travel back down it the wrong way to go back to the broken down vehicle. This was on a rainy, dark night. I'm glad my brakes were working but could have done with a stinger and quick reactions to stop that particular tool going much further...

• Advertisement

Alright, I propose that for every such incident we see in the future, write a quick email to the RSA about it too. And tell them if they want to hear reports of more such incidents, then they should look at this thread (supply a link).
    limklad wrote: »
    These people are a danger to themselves and to other road users driving unsuitable Vehicles on the Motorway. Please report them to the Traffic Corps @ 1 800 666 111 for everybody safety.

With that in mind, can I make a suggestion that instead of just contacting the RSA or the Traffic Corps, that we contact the wider group associated with the motorways. I have pulled the following from the RSA site aswell as to how each are contected to the motorway network in terms of responsibility.

RSA
    LoCall: 1890 50 60 80
    Tel: 096-25000
    Email: info@rsa.ie

Pretty obvious

Dept of Transport
    LoCall: 1890 44 33 11
    Tel: 01 670 7444
    Email: info@transport.ie
    • Drafting and implementing legislation on road safety
    • Setting road safety policy
    Garda
    Tel: 01-666 9800
    (Road Safety Unit)
    Email: traffic@garda.ie

• Enforcement of legislation and regulations regarding road users
    • Traffic Watch
    • Provision of road safety information to the community
    Your Local Council
    • Promotion of road safety at local level though the Road Safety Officer for the County
    Dept of Justice
    Tel: 01-6028202
    Email: info@justice.ie

• Participation in the Cabinet Sub-Committee on Road Safety
    • Provide resources to the Gardai and Courts
    • Research and evaluation on effectiveness of correction / rehabilitation programmes for road traffic offences
    Department of Environment Northern Ireland (DoENI)
    Tel: 0044-28 9054 0540
    Web: www.doeni.gov.uk

• Responsibility for road safety in Northern Ireland
    • Explore opportunities to promote North/South cooperation on road safety awareness campaigns

Health & Safety Authority
    LoCall: 1890 289 389
    Email: wcu@hsa.ie

• May become involved in work-related road traffic collision investigations where safety cannot be adequately regulated by the enforcement of road traffic legislation, for example, in the case of serious management failings. In such cases, the Health and Safety Authority and An Garda Síochána may carry out joint investigations and issue joint proceedings

Health Service Executive
    Infoline: 1850 24 1850
    Email: info@hse.ie

• Provides advice and evaluation of the population health impacts of road safety initiatives
    • Provides, national ambulance service, hospital emergency department and treatment services, community rehabilitation services, advice on and evaluation of the health impacts of road safety issues
    AA
    Tel: 01-6179999
    Email: aa@aaireland.ie

• Representing the interests of motorists in the area of transportation
    Irish Insurance Federation (IIF)
    Tel: 01-6761820
    Email: fed@iif.ie

Would be in their interest for less accidents

Ok, I don't know, maybe I went overboard, but everyday I check this forum (and Infrastructure before that) and the stories I see posted here along with the stories I hear from friends & family and what i have wintessed myself, its at the stage where enough is enough. Nothing is going to happen at this stage until there is a devistating accident.

All of the above listed have a vested interest of some sort in the motorway network and while it might take a month or a year for it to sink in, contacting enough of them about the same issues, over and over and over may get something done.

At the moment nothing is happening so what harm can it do, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

Fair play, I've sent the following email to everyone on your list:
    Dear Sir/Madam,

The link below contains information about various breaches of road safety and road traffic legislation on the Irish motorway network.

It is evident from the information that road safety policies and road traffic legislation is not being adequately enforced on the Irish motorway network.

I would be grateful if you could monitor this information and respond to the issues raised.

Bizarre/Illegal things on motorways

Best wishes,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭rameire

just did the same.:)

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

Got a reply from the Gardai:
    Thank you for your correspondence.

I can assure you that An Garda Síochána takes matters in relation to breaches of Road Traffic legislation very seriously and offences such as those mentioned are detected on a daily basis and prosecuted accordingly.

XXXXXXX
    Garda
    Garda National Traffic Bureau

• Registered Users Posts: 68,796 ✭✭✭✭L1011

1890 205 805 is possibly a better choice (Trafficwatch) than 1800 666 111 (Garda Confidential). Their computer systems are specifically and sole-purposed designed for recording traffic incidents and if its a vehicle you're reporting, they'll have the drivers name and insurance details instantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

Thank you for your correspondence.

I can assure you that An Garda Síochána takes matters in relation to breaches of Road Traffic legislation very seriously and offences such as those mentioned are detected on a daily basis and prosecuted accordingly.

XXXXXXX
    Garda

And why are they detected on a daily basis, because there is no road safety campaign. Letterbox flyer to every house in the country along with TV ads and a full page in every paper, basic motorway "do's" and "don't do's"

• Registered Users Posts: 68,796 ✭✭✭✭L1011

wellbutty wrote: »
    And why are they detected on a daily basis, because there is no road safety campaign. Letterbox flyer to every house in the country along with TV ads and a full page in every paper, basic motorway "do's" and "don't do's"

Or they could replace the "sharing space with cyclists" leaflet I'm sure I got *last* year too with my motor tax renewal with what you've just suggested. Arrived today and I know I've seen it before...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

MYOB wrote: »
    Or they could replace the "sharing space with cyclists" leaflet I'm sure I got *last* year too with my motor tax renewal with what you've just suggested. Arrived today and I know I've seen it before...

Exactly, that leaflet is the basis for my suggestion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

who_am_I? wrote: »
    Undertaking, once every 50 km

You obviously don't get on the M50 very often :(
    Though in this case it's mostly because of the damn daydreamers sitting in the middle lane completely oblivious to the mess they're causing.

I've had a response from the Road Safety Authority too:
    Thanks for your email and highlighting the road safety concerns and breaches of legislation on the motorways. I have forwarded your email to the Garda National Traffic Bureau for their information and attention. I can also advise that the RSA will launch a Motorway awareness campaign in November addressing lane discipline, keeping left and stopping in the emergency lane / hard shoulder as well as info on who is prohibited on using motorways

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭NFD100

I've had a response from the Road Safety Authority too:

That is very welcome.

Can I make a suggestion in the meantime? All electronic gantries read as follows for one month?

KEEP LEFT UNLESS OVERTAKING! NO STOPPING EXCEPT IN AN EMERGENCY! NO PEDESTRIANS. GARDA WILL ENFORCE REGULATIONS FOR YOUR SAFETY.

wow, excellent to see people getting responses, I havent heard anything back yet though :/

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Did that thing they sent to every home in the country a whil eback not contain the do's and donts of driving as a whole? Had a funny name, something like "rules of the road"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

I was driving from the M1 southbound on to the M50 southbound today about 2pm. There was a guy in a high viz jacket (safety conscious!!) and a woolly hat cycling on the high ramp between the M1 and the M50, there is little or nothing by way of a shoulder here. I reckon he was a workman as there were some cones around there.

Truly astonishing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Mr Magners

On the M8 yesterday evening, behind an Accord for most of the drive doing about 130-140. Daft young one tears past us easily doing 160+ in a battered 97 Saab. Leaves the two of us for dust.

10-15k later we catch up with her, Accord moves out, passes her I follow suit and I'm half way past and she accelerates again, leaving me stranded. having to pull back in to the LH lane. She passes the Accord again and is gone like a bat out of hell.

Maintain your speed FFS:mad:

Stekelly wrote: »
    Did that thing they sent to every home in the country a whil eback not contain the do's and donts of driving as a whole? Had a funny name, something like "rules of the road"
    For alot of people, that booklet ended up in the recycle bin as they wrongly assume it does not applies to them only learners.

Mr Magners wrote: »
    On the M8 yesterday evening, behind an Accord for most of the drive doing about 130-140. Daft young one tears past us easily doing 160+ in a battered 97 Saab. Leaves the two of us for dust.

10-15k later we catch up with her, Accord moves out, passes her I follow suit and I'm half way past and she accelerates again, leaving me stranded. having to pull back in to the LH lane. She passes the Accord again and is gone like a bat out of hell.

Maintain your speed FFS:mad:
    You should follow your own advice!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Mr Magners

You should follow your own advice!!!!!!

I was maintaining my speed.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

With that in mind, can I make a suggestion that instead of just contacting the RSA or the Traffic Corps, that we contact the wider group associated with the motorways. I have pulled the following from the RSA site aswell as to how each are contected to the motorway network in terms of responsibility.

Following the above advice I emailed the Garda Traffic about tractors on the M18 and got the following reply:
    Good morning

I have forwarded your emails to the Chief Superintendents in Clare and Galway Divisions through which the M18 motorway runs.

Karen O' Brien
    Garda
    01-6661792
    karen.obrien@garda.ie

• Advertisement

Mr Magners wrote: »
    I was maintaining my speed.

Thanks
    You were breaking the speed limit with your own admission between 130-140. Max Speed limit in this country is 120kph. You are as guilty as that idiot driving at 160kph+

Advertisement