Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bizarre/Illegal things on motorways

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

I am sick to my back TEETH!!! More tractors and now a digger on the M7!!!!
    I saw one yesterday morning driving from the M20 exit to the Foynes/Dock road exit!
    Coming home last night there was one driving in the opposite direction up from the Foynes/Dock Rd towards the M20 exit!
    Then this morning I was stuck, ina major Hail shower trying to get on to the M7 East bound, behind a Tractor and a Digger driving up the slip road, on to the M7! Then in poor visibility crossing over the slip lane from Roxborro on to the M7 North bound!

Why are they getting away with this??????

A person I was just talking to was claiming that newer Tractors that can do higher speeds are actually allowed on the motorways!!!??? Cause the can travel almost as fast as a car?????????

If a tractor is capable of doing more than 50kmh then it's allowed on the motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭who_am_I?

If a tractor is capable of doing more than 50kmh then it's allowed on the motorway.

If a Work Vehicle can go faster than 50kph then technically it is not an Agricultural tractor....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

who_am_I? wrote: »
    If a Work Vehicle can go faster than 50kph then technically it is not an Agricultural tractor....
    And would this mean using green diesel in said vehicle would be an offence?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Spot the problem with AA Roadwatches update :D
    *M6/GALWAY* Care is advised westbound on the M6 Dublin/Galway Rd at J18 Rathmorrissey due to debris partially blocking traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Did BAM build it in a few hours! I'm impressed just before Gort-Crusheen as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

kiwipower wrote: »
    I saw one yesterday morning driving from the M20 exit to the Foynes/Dock road exit!
    Coming home last night there was one driving in the opposite direction up from the Foynes/Dock Rd towards the M20 exit!
    Then this morning I was stuck, ina major Hail shower trying to get on to the M7 East bound, behind a Tractor and a Digger driving up the slip road, on to the M7! Then in poor visibility crossing over the slip lane from Roxborro on to the M7 North bound!

A person I was just talking to was claiming that newer Tractors that can do higher speeds are actually allowed on the motorways!!!??? Cause the can travel almost as fast as a car?????????

Saw one on the N7 the other day (it was dark) and it had pulled over to the hard shoulder but was facing me with their full set of lights on (must have been about six sets) was very blinding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

M18 today beside the Ennis junction there was a car parked up on the hard shoulder. A car was flaking it past me and then parked up beside him. One of them got out of the car with a document like no care in the world. Sure tis only 120km/hr traffic flying past them by a few yards nothing to be worried about!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

kiwipower wrote: »

M20 does not reach the Foynes road/Dock road N69 as it stops at the Rosbrien Interchange. It is the N18 national 100kph road that intersect with the N69 and it meets M20/M7 at Rosbrien Interchange. As you stated the Tractor and a Digger enter the N18 from Roxborro and head North to the Dock road had a legal right to as it not a Motorway. If you see the colour of the signs of that stretch is all National route Green and not Motorway blue. You need to re read the Rules of the road for correct sign usage.
    http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/understanding-traffic-signs/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Fluffybums

About 8:45 this morning heading north on the M9 between Mullinavat and Knocktopher - a cyclist, full cycling gear.

• Advertisement

Fluffybums wrote: »
    About 8:45 this morning heading north on the M9 between Mullinavat and Knocktopher - a cyclist, full cycling gear.

As wrong as that is, at least s/he was visible! nothing worse than going around a corner on a dark winters night (off the motorway btw) only see just the pedal reflectors going up and down as the cyclist is in black on a bike with no lights and an oncomming cars headlights! :mad: How I avoided hitting the prat! I'll never know!

"Where's your lights", I shout!
    "Fúck off!" is his reply!

Some people are just looking for that Darwin Award!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Couple of months ago I saw a fella barrelling down the Cork-Dublin motorway in a jeep with a 3 axeled trailer, he was at least doing 140KPH. There was also a generator sitting up at the front of the trailer, it was hard to tell but it didn't look strapped down all that well and there was no tailgate on the trailer. Saw him about 20 minutes later after being pulled by a gardai, if he'd gotten a garda in a bad mood he woulda been screwed Id say.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

imitation wrote: »
    Couple of months ago I saw a fella barrelling down the Cork-Dublin motorway in a jeep with a 3 axeled trailer, he was at least doing 140KPH. There was also a generator sitting up at the front of the trailer, it was hard to tell but it didn't look strapped down all that well and there was no tailgate on the trailer. Saw him about 20 minutes later after being pulled by a gardai, if he'd gotten a garda in a bad mood he woulda been screwed Id say.

Thats nearly twice the limit for pullin a trailer and very few people have the extra bit on the licence either, have the provisional for it myself, not really lookin forward to sittin the test in Feb/Mar, though i think its slightly easier than the regular test, no 3 point turn required.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

As wrong as that is, at least s/he was visible! nothing worse than going around a corner on a dark winters night (off the motorway btw) only see just the pedal reflectors going up and down as the cyclist is in black on a bike with no lights and an oncomming cars headlights! :mad: How I avoided hitting the prat! I'll never know!

"Where's your lights", I shout!
    "Fúck off!" is his reply!

I was driving on a city road at night recently, on a stretch where there's a recently (and expensively) built segregated cycling lane, divided from the road by a 1 metre wide grass margin with a high kerb.

A group of cyclists, some with lights and helmets, some without, came into view, all cycling on the road ahead of me.

As I passed them, I shouted out that there was a perfectly safe, purpose-built cycle lane just to their left.

Got pretty much the same response you got.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭who_am_I?

I was driving on a city road at night recently, on a stretch where there's a recently (and expensively) built segregated cycling lane, divided from the road by a 1 metre wide grass margin with a high kerb.

A group of cyclists, some with lights and helmets, some without, came into view, all cycling on the road ahead of me.

As I passed them, I shouted out that there was a perfectly safe, purpose-built cycle lane just to their left.

Got pretty much the same response you got.

A lot of cycle lanes are not fit for purpose. They are impossible to cycle on.
    About 100m from my house there is a manhole cover that protudes about 60mm above the surrounding surface on the cycle lane, this Cycle lane is at least 10 years old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Mr Magners

Yesterday afternoon around 1.30 on the M8 between Cahir and Mitchelstown.

2 cars parked on the hard shoulder, doors open (nearside only, not offside) and 3/4 lads standing in the grass taking a slash.

3 miles further up the road? A Parking area!!! :eek::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

That's harmless Mr Magners I wouldn't consider it bizarre or illegal, well apart from taking a whizz ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Smcgie wrote: »
    That's harmless Mr Magners I wouldn't consider it bizarre or illegal

You don't consider parking on a motorway illegal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Mr Magners

That's harmless Mr Magners I wouldn't consider it bizarre or illegal, well apart from taking a whizz ;)

The title of the thread is bizzare/illegal things on motorways.

AFAIK it is illegal to stop on the hard shoulder unless in an emergency and while it's not nice to be busting for a slash it's not an emergency, particularly with a Parking area further up the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

fergalr wrote: »
    Uh, there's nothing bizarre or illegal about cyclists on N roads, which aren't motorways.
    Cyclists have a right to use national roads.

I had to cycle briefly on the N4 yesterday and the level of disrespect from some drivers is shocking. If you are driving so fast that you have difficulty avoiding cyclists (law abiding, well lit, using the road correctly), then you are driving too fast, and ought to be ashamed of the danger you pose to others.

I have no problem with law abiding cyclists on the N roads. The problem is when they form herds and all cycle together sometimes 5 abreast and you have to overtake them. I travel the road between Enfield and Kilcock every day and as some of you know, for most of the road, there is no overtaking. On the weekends the throngs of wannabe stephen roches make me a lawbreaker as I have no realistic choice but to overtake these spandex loving troglydites.
    2 weeks I was in Galway and I saw a Guard pull over a herd of cyclists on a busy road between 2 of the main roundabouts, read them the riot act (lots of finger waving) and the they proceeded in single file. It was nice to see enforcement in action

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

who_am_I? wrote: »
    A lot of cycle lanes are not fit for purpose. They are impossible to cycle on.
    About 100m from my house there is a manhole cover that protudes about 60mm above the surrounding surface on the cycle lane, this Cycle lane is at least 10 years old.

The cycle lane I'm talking about was only built last year, and is in pristine condition. Not one of the cyclists I came across used it, preferring to cycle on a busy road at night instead. Legal certainly, stupid definitely.

Kahless wrote: »
    You don't consider parking on a motorway illegal?

Why didnt you quote the whole post?
    That's harmless Mr Magners I wouldn't consider it bizarre or illegal, well apart from taking a whizz

Not
    That's harmless Mr Magners I wouldn't consider it bizarre or illegal

They stopped on the hard shoulder, jesus if thats what upsets you then you have little to worry about

Mr Magners wrote: »
    The title of the thread is bizzare/illegal things on motorways.

AFAIK it is illegal to stop on the hard shoulder unless in an emergency and while it's not nice to be busting for a slash it's not an emergency, particularly with a Parking area further up the road.

Respectable and fair view, but you can imagine a group of lads not sure where the nearest parking is just stopping - Not "Parking".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Not

They stopped on the hard shoulder, jesus if thats what upsets you then you have little to worry about

because the rest of the post only implies that urinating in public is illegal?

stopping on the hard shoulder on a motorway is illegal. less than a foot from the drivers door, there are cars speeding by at 120KPH. the hard shoulder is there as a safety buffer zone. even the slightest clip at that speed could cause devastation.

just stopping - Not "Parking".

pray tell, whats the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

People putting themselves, and their passengers, in danger does, yes ...

http://www.safermotoring.co.uk/SafetyOnHardShoulder.html
    At least 250 people in the UK are injured every year on the hard shoulder after a breakdown.
    Insure Your Motor suggests that as much as 12% of all fatal accidents on British motorways happen on the hard shoulder. The majority of these happen between 12am and 6pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Radiotower

I've been using the N4/M50/N2 to get from Lucan to Finglas for the past 6 months or so and I've seen some dangerous acts:
    • One guy obviously had taken the M50 Southbound exit off the N4 at Liffey Valley and then realising his mistake mounted the concrete island and was trying to get back onto the N4 City lane! Seen a woman one day trying to reverse at the same location cos she was in the wrong lane.
    • Car missed the N3 exit off M50 south and was reversing back to get onto the sliproad - and then when I got to the N4 exit there was another car doing the exact same thing there - what are the odds of that happening 5mins apart??
    • Driving on the N3 out around Mulhudart heading city bound one night at around 11pm I could see headlights heading towards me - at first I thought they were shining through the hedging but as we got closer I realised he was heading the wrong way down the dual carriageway (I pulled over to hard shoulder)
    Thats all I remember off the top of my head - I wonder to the Garda catch many people at this sort of behaviour?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Not

Because the rest was irrelevant to the point.

And this is why we see so much idiocy on motorways. People just don't have a clue about them. If you don't even know that stopping on a motorway is illegal, I dread to think what other things you might be doing.

• Advertisement

Kahless wrote: »
    Because the rest was irrelevant to the point.

And this is why we see so much idiocy on motorways. People just don't have a clue about them. If you don't even know that stopping on a motorway is illegal, I dread to think what other things you might be doing.

LOL! I'm a reckless maniac. Guess I picked the wrong forum to try and get my point across. I no its illegal but many have stopped for a wizz when its needed, for God's sake what are you supposed to do? It is an emergency.

This is typical H&S lovers, red tape, politically correct shyte at its best. If you need to stop for to 'Urinate' then you have to stop. How exactly would the lads know that there was parking 3miles ahead unless it was signposted?

Post #1 - Horse and cart on motorway = Bizarre & illegal
    Post #229 - Lads wizz on the side of hard shoulder = illegal but certainly not Bizarre

Anyway there's no post explaining where I'm coming from, just wish people would use common sense, we cant wrap everything up in cotton wool.

Advertisement