Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Which motorhome club?

• 23-08-2010 8:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭

Hi all
    Just looking for a bit of advice on which motorhome club would be the best to join. We have just bought our camper and would love to head off and meet other people etc..

We haven't had the maiden voyage yet, but I was driving back from Dublin yesterday and was so so jealous there seemed to be 100's of motorhomes on the motorway - I was wondering were they all at a "meet" or a rally somewhere?

Thanks in advance for any info

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭zoltar_boi

Hi there Nyeb,

Welcome to the world of motorhoming. I hope you have many years of happy touring.

In your post, you don't say where you are based, so recommending a local club is a bit hard. I was a member of one, but didn't renew this year, because we never really availed of the services - arranged my own insurance, and the club only did 1 meet and the timings didn't suit me.

In 3 years on the road, I have to say, you meet up with the others on the road when you stop, and provided you don't go round with a big sign saying "grumpy so leave me alone" most campers will have a chit chat within a few minutes of the handbrake being pulled.

Motorhoming in Ireland is taking off, and the numbers on the road is always on the rise. We always point them out as we go (even in the car), but the one thing you need to remember, is the unwritten code (alright - it is written on all the forums) WAVE! Make it a point to wave as you pass, or flash the lights if you're afraid to let go of the wheel in your new motorhome for now. You will normally get one back and if not take there reg and we'll send the boys round their gaff! :D

The guys (and gals) on this form are like a big club, and are always willing to share stories and tips. Post questions, no matter how small, and you're sure to get someone with an answer within a few hours.

Maybe we'll meet on the road some day - but if not, happy trails.

Michael

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭nyeb2007

thanks Michael for the info. The camper we bought is a fiat ducato converted - it looks the very same as a brinks cash in transit van - so I doubt we'll be getting any waves, although maybe when I stick a few daisy decals on it or something it might brighten it up a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

There's quiet a few clubs out there these days. Do a search back on this form and you'll see the pros & cons of each club if any.
    I'm currently a member of the www.CaravanClub.co.uk (Leinster branch) and have always found the members to be very welcoming and friendly. Unfortunately with other stuff going on we haven't been on a weekend with the club since last year. Their membership is reasonably priced at approx €45 per year and the monthly magazine is a good read.

Another club I've heard good reports about with events almost every weekend is www.iccc.ie Well worth checking out too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

I posted a thread about ICCC Vs caravan club. Though I only got v general comments I went with ICCC and am very happy with them.

I have no personal experience of the Caravan Club but one guy, with a family, who had been in it for years was switching to ICCC as he thought it was a lot more child friendly. That may or may not be a issue for you. Only other "allegation" re Caravan Club was that it was the "English" club, & that baiscally they hoard the money over there - could be complete nonsense.

On the plus side re Caravan Club is if you are thinking of doing a lot of travel in the UK the caravan club's sites are supposed to be great & cheap. They also seem to do a SNI (Safe Nights Ireland) type jobby whereby you can pull into a farmers field or yard overnight - I only know this from seeing the signs while travelling around SW England in the summer but I'm sure their website will explain all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭zoltar_boi

Nyeb,

Don't worry if you're a conversion, we wave at anything resembling a camper - there are quite a few delivery van drivers wondering if they have flat tyres / left their hazards on 'cos in my shortsighted world, and eagerness to wave first, they get a big wave or lights flash from me as I pass.

And if you look like a brinks van, you might find me stopping you for a lend! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭nyeb2007

LOL, may look like a brinks van but deffo wouldn't have the funds they'd have!! Have ordered a sunset decal for the front so should change the look of it a bit;)

Advertisement