Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Download speed query

• 23-08-2010 8:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Apologies if this is the wrong place:

Basically both my housemate and I are using Hotfile and our download speeds are radically different, he's getting 250KB/sec, I'm getting about 60.

Did this speedtest on both, they gave about the same result (his download was at 11.72)
    925307410.png

He's using Mac OS X, I'm using Windows XP SP 2

I'm wondering what other reasons there might be for the difference/how I can improve my speed

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

does he have a premium account or anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Random wrote: »
    does he have a premium account or anything?

With Hotfile?
    We're using the same account at the mo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,242 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

same file? Similar Hard Drives?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

im not sure what hotfile is but are ye actually downloading from the same source? or same peer if its a file sharing prog? if your speed test is similar / better than your buddys I wouldnt think there is a prob with your system

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Overheal wrote: »
    same file? Similar Hard Drives?
    corkcomp wrote: »
    im not sure what hotfile is but are ye actually downloading from the same source? or same peer if its a file sharing prog? if your speed test is similar / better than your buddys I wouldnt think there is a prob with your system

Hotfile is a similar site to Rapidshare, MegaUpload, Fileserve etc.

So all of the files would be from hotfile.com but not necessarily the exact same file.
    As for similar hard drives, I'm not sure about hardware differences but he has a MacBook and I've got a PC (Dell Inspiron)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Are you using a download manager? Any settings there that might be affecting it?

Is your PC running okay? Defragged and plenty of free disk space etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,242 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

without doing a precise apples to apples comparison its hard to say.

Have each of you download the same file and see what speeds you get. Hard drives will act differently if you're downloading and trying to write a folder with a thousand files in it as opposed to one big movie file, etc.

Advertisement