Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sponging off the State

• 23-08-2010 8:43pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Copper23

Isn't it gawling when you know someone who does this?

People who are openly proud to be screwing the State over for every benefit, grant, etc that they can possibly get.
    They will actually boast about getting this grant and that grant and discuss means to "get them" among friend.

I just find it sickening seeing people who never work or contribute to society in any meaningful way going around in the best of clothes, the newest of cars, sun holidays and every new gadget you can get your hands on.

I've gone to college to earn my degree, work hard at my job, get up early in the morning to do it, get home late, pay my taxes, am entitled to zero benefits, have never taken a holiday to Spain in my life, pay my own rent and wouldn't know an iPhone if it hit me in the forehead. I earn enough to be comfortable and I'm glad for that. In just can't stand my taxes paying for those know contribute NOTHING to have newer/better/shinier cars/clothes/holidays/gadgets, whatever.

It was a joke before but now in Recession times I'm repulsed by these people.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

perhaps a career change?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Sponge Bob?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

FFS man. Life is too short to be filled with such constant bitterness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

Copper23 wrote: »

People who are openly proud to be screwing the State over for every benefit, grant, etc that they can possibly get.
    They will actually boast about getting this grant and that grant and discuss means to "get them" among friend.

I just find it sickening seeing people who never work or contribute to society in any meaningful way going around in the best of clothes, the newest of cars, sun holidays and every new gadget you can get your hands on.

I've gone to college to earn my degree, work hard at my job, get up early in the morning to do it, get home late, pay my taxes, am entitled to zero benefits, have never taken a holiday to Spain in my life, pay my own rent and wouldn't know an iPhone if it hit me in the forehead. I earn enough to be comfortable and I'm glad for that. In just can't stand my taxes paying for those know contribute NOTHING to have newer/better/shinier cars/clothes/holidays/gadgets, whatever.

Perhaps you could give up working and see how you manage then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

If you know of someone who is claiming benefits & they are not entitled to them then report them to your local social welfare office.

Seriously, it's like groundhog day on AH a lot of the time. I'm probably guilty of repeating a thread myself but fcuk it I'm in no humour for it today.

Man up OP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

For f*ck sake OP - you'd swear it was an easy life ripping of the welfare system. It's not easy remembering which fake name you have registered to all the different Post Offices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭J2D2

http://1800recycling.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/lemon.jpg

Here's a lemon, I suggest you go suck it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I hate lazy yobs who sponge off the state. It is insulting to people who actually work, because a)They're earning a living trying to provide for themselve why the yobs get their money handed to them and b)It's our taxes that pay for those type of benefits so they're not just sponging of the state but us as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Copper23

For f*ck sake OP - you'd swear it was an easy life ripping of the welfare system. It's not easy remembering which fake name you have registered to all the different Post Offices.

lol... true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

:rolleyes: Are we talking about ivory calley again...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

tl:dr?

Short version....

WAH WAH WAH WAH WAH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

Wow, we got a whole week without a dole bashing thread. Must be a new record.:pac:

• I don't know how they do it. I enquired about signing on for a month between the end of my college course and the start of my new job and was told to p*ss off. All I wanted was 50 quid a week to cover my food and bus fare, and I can't even get that, after working through almost all of my Masters.

"Gawling"?

If you know of someone who is claiming benefits & they are not entitled to them then report them to your local social welfare office.
    Yup, do this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Maybe you should budget your finances better because if someone is on the dole and can afford all that while you can't in full-time employment then there is something wrong with your spending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

everyone is in receipt of some benefit from the state of some kind at one point or another.

Some are just better at it,and wish to live that sort of life, and others are unable to work due to circumstances.

bluewolf wrote: »
    "Gawling"?

Yup, do this

Yeah yeah, done a long time ago.. result... A new Toyota in their driveway...

Hmmm... really strikes a chord with a lot of ppls....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble

.......and so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

Yeah yeah, done a long time ago.. result... A new Toyota in their driveway...

Hmmm... really strikes a chord with a lot of ppls....

So it's probably time for them to get a new 2010 car so make the call.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

See the thread subject, must be that time of the week again.

*Sigh*

Exits stage left...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭wicklowstar

Biggins wrote: »
    See the thread subject, must be that time of the week again.

*Sigh*

Exits stage left...

I agree.
    Its that monday feelng....
    Boo hoo to you!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Jeboa Safari

They should cut the dole after being on it for a certain period of time, and anyone on it for 2 years or more should be forced to do volunteer work like cleaning the community

I went to college and got a good degree, then I got a good job paying good money. I don't care what the dolers are doing, because it doesn't affect me. People need to relax and focus on their own lives and problems, rather than leveling it at people who are on the dole. They should have no effect on how you live your life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

ah forgot I had to sign on tommorrow OP thanks!!!Will grab my dole at 10 in the morning,go sign on and by then the pub should be open.Hope its sunny out so I can use the beer garden

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I sponge off the state and I ****ing love doing it. I have an orgasm every time someone freaks out about it.

OP, PM me for my address, and then you can call out and give out to me in person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

Thread is doomed

*Grabs parachute and bails out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Trekmad wrote: »
    Thread is doomed

*Grabs parachute and bails out

That's what I was thinking. Tone of thread title is wrong and doesn't invite debate, only serves to try and rise people. tut tut.

As a tax paying worker, how does the numbers of people claiming social welfare not effect me? I would have though it had a huge impact on the economy and in turn my tax rate!

Ok, so.... They are paid by the endless pit of free money located in Dail Eireann... sweet, there was I thinking there was a recession looming around the place. Glad we cleared that up.

I'll take it that it wasn't an economics major :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Are you still living in Boston like you were 2 weeks ago?

• Advertisement

We're in a recession, so there are more people on the dole. Thus they might just have a reason for being on the dole. Tax rates are a bit worse than before, but I have no issues with paying taxes and payingday to day expenses. I suggest you hire an accountant to get your finances in check :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

op
    i have worked since i was 16 , and payed taxes etc i am now on job seekers allowance and im not happy "sponging" off the state.i am so so up set every single day that i cant find a job and every single day is a put down and all i just want to do is work!! i look for jobs everyday and i do apply online and i do get interviews , but at time i dont hear anything back and at time when i do get a call back it is to say i am unsuccessful >i really didnt want to to go down and sign on , it was such a kick in the confidence standing in that line because there is nothing more in the world that i want most and that is to have a job. i payed my taxes aswell so im only getting back what i have given to the government in a way !! i could claim for rent allowance etc and other things on top of that but im not , im paying for my rent with my jsa !! i dont like the spongers and that may seem like a contradiction to myself but i take what will get me by (very minimum ) and nothing els and dont flash it buying fansy things , and if i want something i save for it ,even just to get a shirt form topman would take me 4 weeks to get one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭seensensee

Relax, if you work in the public service then all your taxes go into a huge pot that go to pay your wages, out of one hand and back into the other. Don't forget your taxes go toward paying interest on banker bailout loans too, and of course your taxes go toward public services in general.

People are being made unemployed all the time so it's more than likely that the shiny new cars and quality clothes are purchase's from when they were working.
    Catalogue shopping is popular way of having quality at a weekly payback rate, and alot of stuff is on HP, it's normal.

why don't you vent your anger at Fas and the government quango's who have presented little opportunity for contributing in a meaningful way.

Yes, even unemployed folk are allowed to take a holiday in the sun, some people will get into debt to have one, but not by much as it can be done quite cheaply, you'll never know unless you try.

Now things are not looking so bad after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Jeboa Safari

A V A wrote: »
    op
    i have worked since i was 16 , and payed taxes etc i am now on job seekers allowance and im not happy "sponging" off the state.i am so so up set every single day that i cant find a job and every single day is a put down and all i just want to do is work!! i look for jobs everyday and i do apply online and i do get interviews , but at time i dont hear anything back and at time when i do get a call back it is to say i am unsuccessful >i really didnt want to to go down and sign on , it was such a kick in the confidence standing in that line because there is nothing more in the world that i want most and that is to have a job. i payed my taxes aswell so im only getting back what i have given to the government in a way !! i could claim for rent allowance etc and other things on top of that but im not , im paying for my rent with my jsa !! i dont like the spongers and that may seem like a contradiction to myself but i take what will get me by (very minimum ) and nothing els and dont flash it buying fansy things , and if i want something i save for it ,even just to get a shirt form topman would take me 4 weeks to get one

In fairness I think he's more referring to those that spend their life on the dole, making no effort to work, and think the country owes them something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

Riddle101 wrote: »
    I hate lazy yobs who sponge off the state. It is insulting to people who actually work, because a)They're earning a living trying to provide for themselve why the yobs get their money handed to them and b)It's our taxes that pay for those type of benefits so they're not just sponging of the state but us as well.
    Congratulations, you've managed to grasp the fundamentals of taxation and the welfare state. Any other obvious concepts you would like to share.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

In fairness I think he's more referring to those that spend their life on the dole, making no effort to work, and think the country owes them something

oh ok :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    FFS man. Life is too short to be filled with such constant bitterness.
    Perhaps you could give up working and see how you manage then.
    J2D2 wrote: »
    http://1800recycling.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/lemon.jpg

Here's a lemon, I suggest you go suck it.
    tl:dr?

Short version....

WAH WAH WAH WAH WAH
    Trekmad wrote: »
    Wow, we got a whole week without a dole bashing thread. Must be a new record.:pac:
    jd007 wrote: »

.......and so on.
    Lab_Mouse wrote: »
    ah forgot I had to sign on tommorrow OP thanks!!!Will grab my dole at 10 in the morning,go sign on and by then the pub should be open.Hope its sunny out so I can use the beer garden
    Terry wrote: »
    I sponge off the state and I ****ing love doing it. I have an orgasm every time someone freaks out about it.

OP, PM me for my address, and then you can call out and give out to me in person.
    SPONGERS!!! THE LOT OF YE!!!*

*probably

Next we move on to the metaphysical aspects of inner-self conscience examination and it's relationship to Maslows Hierarchy Of Needs in conjunction with the need for self preservation with the aid of state assistance.

I await the OP's base thoughts on this subject....

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭NoHornJan

Biggins wrote: »
    Next we move on to the metaphysical aspects of inner-self conscience examination and it's relationship to Maslows Hierarchy Of Needs in conjunction with the need for self preservation with the aid of state assistance.

I await the OP's base thoughts on this subject....

OP asked me to take this one.

Yeh Wah???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Are you still living in Boston like you were 2 weeks ago?
    answer this please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭johndoe99

i agree 100%, you can report them online:

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/ContactUs/Pages/reportfraud.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭stopusingoil

"Excellent, it's working, they're turning against themselves. Now they're even complaining about people claiming for things they are actually entitled to! Surely we can now continue to suck this country dry unopposed..."

This is what I would probably be thinking if I was a FF member reading your post OP. Get real, stop pointing the finger at everyone and point it where it truly belongs. We are all in this together. FF must hang.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

J2D2 wrote: »
    We're in a recession,

No we aren't :)

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    answer this please.

I live and work in Ireland, my job involves work at both at home and abroad if that detail is necessary.

To answer others, can those complaining try re-reading what I said.

For those who are out of work, unable to get employment, have disabilities or for any other reason are deserving of benefits or grants then I am fully behind that, god forbid, next week, next month, or next year I could be in the same position, we all could.

My grievance was with the cases where you hear of people claiming disabilities for back pains while the can be found out on the golf course or up a ladder painting the house, or people working to system to get all sorts of allowances and benefits when they are more than capable of going out there and making their own way like the rest of us.

I agree they should and are being reported. Nobody gets any sort of benefit without means testing or proof otherwise that they are deserving of it, yet you still see people who are able to do it, its just a test, its easy to lie on a form or stretch the truth or put on a front to get around these things. Saying that this never happens or can't happen just isn't true.

Please no arguments about the disability example above, I realise there are disabilities that keep people from work that allow them normal daily tasks and routines, that is not what I'm talking about.

If you want to assume this never happens then I can't change your mind. I see it happening, I even hear people boasting about how much they can get by stretching the truth and how they dodged means testing or other checks.

As I said, if you feel this never happens I can't change your mind but it is extremely frustrating for those of us who do work hard to earn a living, and by no means and luxurious one, we work hard to get by and have what we have.

I also think it is insulting to people, like AVA in this thread, who are trying their hardest to get out of the situation they find themselves in and get back to work and are stuck in a bad situation in these times. These people of all are deserving of help as they have paid their way when they could and will do so again, and are so eager to get back out there and they deserve every credit and bit of help to do so. I think I made it clear I am in no way talking about anyone like that.

Is it really hard to read the point of a topic? The way the replies are in this thread you'd swear I said nobody was deserving of a penny and every person who isn't employed is a sponger... thats absolutely not the case... times are hard, people find themselves in tough times and I find it wrong that those who are able to provide for themselves take advantage when others who DO need it, often find it difficult to... it makes like harder on those who need it and those who luckily are employed and try to make a living.

It's not the root of all problems or the cure... It's one of many and it exists. I'll wait for those disagreeing or not reading my point and let you off...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Congratulations, you've managed to grasp the fundamentals of taxation and the welfare state. Any other obvious concepts you would like to share.

Nope that will be all........ For now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Are there no prisons? Are The Union workhouses still in operation?
    Let them go there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

who lives in a flat in D14?

JUN-KEY-DOL-IES
    Whos got a needle in their arm and whos skin is green?

JUN-KEY-DOL-IES
    If disability allowance be something you wish..

JUN-KEY-DOL-IES
    Then fall to the floor and pretend to limp

JUN-KEY-DOL-IES
    JUN-KEY-DOL-IES
    JUN-KEY-DOL-IES
    JUN-KEY-DOL-IEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Brendog wrote: »
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

who lives in a flat in D14?

JUN-KEY-DOL-IES
    Whos got a needle in their arm and whos skin is green?

JUN-KEY-DOL-IES
    If disability allowance be something you wish..

JUN-KEY-DOL-IES
    Then fall to the floor and pretend to limp

JUN-KEY-DOL-IES
    JUN-KEY-DOL-IES
    JUN-KEY-DOL-IES
    JUN-KEY-DOL-IEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSS
    Translation for people who speak english please.
    The underlined bits will suffice.
    Thanks in advance.

It was his 666'th post so its hell to read it!

http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/817/capture2z.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

What I hate is the State sponging of us.
    Bailing out banks with our tax money. And god knows what they do with our road tax, but it sure ain't being spent on the roads around here.
    If the government offers ya a grant for anything, grab it and run before they change their tiny minds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

SCREW YOU GUYS, I'm going home....

• Advertisement
Advertisement