Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New cinema?

• 23-08-2010 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭

Heard on WLR a news report about a new omniplex cinema opening up by the Waterford Crystal Sports Centre. The report seemed to suggest it would be built and opened in three months time! :eek:

I would welcome another cinema, if nothing just to have a bit of competition which might drive prices down and quality of service up. But I can't find any more information about this anywhere though. Anybody heard about this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Mr Ed

Try here

It's link to the WLR story!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Mr Ed wrote: »
    Try here

It's link to the WLR story!

Strange that that doesn't mention a cinema, especially one that would open soon, but the report on the radio did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭BBM77

I’ll believe it when I see it being built likewise for the factory outlet centre...

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭THall04

Strange that that doesn't mention a cinema, especially one that would open soon, but the report on the radio did.

Have another look at it....

"Parker Green International also has planning permission for a major mixed-use development at the former Waterford Crystal playing fields. At this location beside the proposed outlet centre, construction work is to begin shortly on an eight-screen cinema. This will generate more than 80 jobs during construction"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,653 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

When the new cinema opens hopefully i wont be out of a job lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

What's the point in putting a new cinema there when the one in town could be refurbished?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Surely not a big enough population for two cinemas though.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭deise48

storm is quiet expensive though . it would be good to have a little competion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

ziedth wrote: »
    Surely not a big enough population for two cinemas though.

Well there are 3 cinemas in Galway and Oranmore serving an urban population of about 77K. There is one cinema in Waterford serving an urban population (Waterford, Tramore, New Ross, Carrick, Dunmore) of about 75K. The rural population would probably add another 20/30K to both.

I'm sure if you added up the screens the difference would be more stark.

The is a cinema in Dungarvan serving an urban and rural population of no more than 35K at most (the east of the county would be served by Waterford, and in the north of the county by Clonmel).

Waterford could do with another small cinema on the Dunmore rd. Having too few cinemas, too far from people's doors, means that less people go to the cinema.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Ah I'd love a smaller cinema that maybe might show more offbeat or even forigen language films but an 8 screen and storm is what 7?

It just seems overkill to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

Wasn't there meant to be a cinema built beside Lidl Ardkeen at one stage during the good times. I think it was a Frisby project to build it.
    Anyone know why it never got built?
    The land is now just an unfinished car park. I wonder what is going on there that they cant complete it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Why do we need another retail complex? Sounds like a cargo cult scheme to me. Build it and they'll come!

merlante wrote: »
    Waterford could do with another small cinema on the Dunmore rd. Having too few cinemas, too far from people's doors, means that less people go to the cinema.

I'm from out that way, but would prefer one in the centre (like the where the old one is). That way its easier to meet my friends from other parts of town, and you can go to the pub after.

Out by W Crystal sports place seems a bad location to me. Not many buses there, so its restricting itself to those with cars (and probably the majority of people who go to the cinema don't own cars) and people from that half of the city.
    A cinema in the centre has the whole city as a catchment. The could maybe turn upstairs of the old cinema into a smaller cinema and use downstairs as shops or a café?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

Seems that there is more to it than just a cinema
    =======================================

Developers have submitted plans to build a retail centre in Waterford city which could give the city a jobs boost.

If the development is granted planning permission construction of the outlet will create 300 jobs, while there will be more than 200 retail vacancies when the shopping centre opens.

The outlet will have 34 retail units and parking for more than 360 cars and four coaches.

The developers also expect to begin work on a cinema complex at an adjacent site in the coming weeks.

From http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/eyqlauojqlau/

and from the paper of record
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0824/1224277444537.html
    ======================================================
    Waterford outlet centre would create 500 jobs, says firm

WATERFORD City Council is considering a planning application for a factory outlet centre that could create up to 500 jobs at a former pitch-and-putt course on the Cork Road in the city, writes Ciarán Murphy.

A spokesman for Parker Green International, the owner of the site, said yesterday the centre would create 300 jobs during the construction phase and more than 200 retail and supervisory positions when operational.

Retailers sell surplus or end of season stock at factory outlet centres, often at a discount of up to 60 per cent. The centre would include up to 34 stores. The spokesman said the Waterford project, which is being promoted by Junction One Investments Ltd on a site owned by Parker Green, is “set to draw trade from a wide radius”.

Mayor of Waterford Cllr Mary Roche yesterday described “news of any jobs in Waterford” as “very positive so long as it fits in with the city’s shopping policies”. Ms Roche said: “At the moment, this is being adjudicated on, and while I haven’t seen the latest plans, the site is one of the areas we have designated as a district centre.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

Since when was going to the cinema cheap? :rolleyes:

Oh bugger. This looks like another attempt to get comparison retail in an out of town centre, while the city centre is crying out for investment.

The council has held firm in the past, including on the TKMaxx issue, but the pressure on them will be immense now with the recession in full swing, which I'm sure is why it's a great time for developers to chance their arm.

Waterford city centre is too weak to sustain competition from an out of town retail development. If this is comparison retail, it has to be a no. No matter how many jobs are at stake. In the end, many more jobs would be lost.

That development is like so 2007 (please read in your finest mid-atlantic accent)

WTF like? Basically it will do what TK Maxx does, only less efficiently, as it will require 34 shops to do what TK Maxx does in one.

And 60% off? So what. You can often get that in proper shops like JC Originals (and you won't have to wear orange pants either).

The whole factory outlet thing just annoys me. It makes sense to have one where there actually is a factory (maybe for Sporthouse or Azzuri), but otherwise its just discount retail, which is exactly what TK Maxx is doing.

Also, who changed the zoning? Where are the little kiddies going to play pitch and putt now? Every square metre of pitch and putt probably does the same as one cop in preventing juvenile crime.

There are easily 34 already built shops that could be filled. Why not put there 'factory' outlet in O'Connell St. They'll probably end up calling it the 'Waterford Village' or some similarly crap name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

seems that they are trying to create a replica of the successful "Kildare Village Outlet centre"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,653 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

No cinema is going to be cheap whether it be Storm, Omniplex, Swan cinemas etc.

For example if you order a large drink youre simply payin for the surup, the carboard cup, the lid,the labour.

Take that into concederation.

Cinemas maybe be making huge amounts of money but there workers are not getting the most attractive pay each day.

They do a lot more work than you would think.

Sorry for the rant lol

Bards wrote: »
    seems that they are trying to create a replica of the successful "Kildare Village Outlet centre"

I checked tinternet. Kildare village has 850 parking spaces. This one proposes 360. Is that enough to sustain it.

I don't get all these mixed developments. If they want a cinema why can't they just build one, and forget about all the other stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I think a small cinema would be a success out that way. It would have a large catchment area within walking distance and save people having to drive or get lifts into Storm. My main reservation with Storm was that it's too easy for people to go park their car, see the film and go back home again without shopping or doing anything in town and this will also be the case with this development.

AdMMM wrote: »
    I think a small cinema would be a success out that way. It would have a large catchment area within walking distance and save people having to drive or get lifts into Storm. My main reservation with Storm was that it's too easy for people to go park their car, see the film and go back home again without shopping or doing anything in town and this will also be the case with this development.

So people would spend more in town if they didn't have easy access to parking?

The most popular shows in the cinema are in the evening, after the shops are closed, so i don't see how that is an issue. Its mainly (though not only) teenagers and others with generally less money who go to the early shows.

dayshah wrote: »
    That development is like so 2007 (please read in your finest mid-atlantic accent)

WTF like? Basically it will do what TK Maxx does, only less efficiently, as it will require 34 shops to do what TK Maxx does in one.

And 60% off? So what. You can often get that in proper shops like JC Originals (and you won't have to wear orange pants either).

The whole factory outlet thing just annoys me. It makes sense to have one where there actually is a factory (maybe for Sporthouse or Azzuri), but otherwise its just discount retail, which is exactly what TK Maxx is doing.

Also, who changed the zoning? Where are the little kiddies going to play pitch and putt now? Every square metre of pitch and putt probably does the same as one cop in preventing juvenile crime.

There are easily 34 already built shops that could be filled. Why not put there 'factory' outlet in O'Connell St. They'll probably end up calling it the 'Waterford Village' or some similarly crap name.

I'm sure they could find 34 vacant units in Waterford city centre... O'Connell st. is a great idea. You could create a new carpark as part of it somewhere. ALDI and Quay parking are there already.

It sounds and awful lot like TKMaxx in multiple units all right!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

this new development is in the middle of a large catchment and also a few minutes walk from the w.i.t.
    its a couple of mins drive from the outer ring road
    i cant see this not being successful to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭coolperson05

But the butlerstown centre was succesful but that doesn't make it right. I agree with the vision from O Connel Street. That big bank bar and the empty lot behind Garter Lane. Theres loads of space for a new lil shopping centre. Even 3/4 good size retail units. Or use some of the numerous in the centre of town. A cinema would do well on Cork Rd. But leave it at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

Or seeing that the Newgate Centre has ground to a halt, why not get this project back up and running and put the 34 shops in it?

Advertisement