Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Eircom Broadband?

• 23-08-2010 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭

Hi I was hoping somebody could help me with this. I am in a rural location and have not able to get broadband. After some advice from people here on boards I tought there may be hope for me yet.

I am on a broadband enabled exchanged and which is only 3km away as the telephone lines go. As far as I am aware , Eircom put us on a carrier line when we first got the landline about 10 years ago.

It was suggested in another thread that I order a totally new line , which is free at them moment.

I rang Eircom today and was told that the only way I could get broadband was to order a new line(as planned) but was then told that it was not certain if I could actually get broadband.

So here is the question , I am within distance of a broadband enabled exchange so are eircom just trying to get me into a contract for nothing or if I get a new line will I actually be able to get broadband even though im on a carrier line now?

Thanks for advice in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

What you need to do is order broadband and a new line together. That way if the broadband can't be delivered, they cancel the whole order, and you're not stuck with a line you don't want. If you order a new line, then order broadband afterwards, you'll be stuck with a useless line if the new one is also on a pairgain.

There's no guarantee of anything when dealing with eircom, so you still may end up with no broadband, but this is the only chance you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

jor el wrote: »
    What you need to do is order broadband and a new line together. That way if the broadband can't be delivered, they cancel the whole order, and you're not stuck with a line you don't want. If you order a new line, then order broadband afterwards, you'll be stuck with a useless line if the new one is also on a pairgain.

There's no guarantee of anything when dealing with eircom, so you still may end up with no broadband, but this is the only chance you have.

Cheers jor el , I will ring eircom and try this , if they say no will i just insist on it? I know it's a chance , but atleast the way you said i have nothing to lose.

Thanks agian , will report back tommorrow.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

They'll accept the order for broadband on a new line all right, you may find out several days later that they can't provide it though.

jor el wrote: »
    They'll accept the order for broadband on a new line all right, you may find out several days later that they can't provide it though.

Cheers, and if they can't provide broadband they will cancel the whole order?

It's a real shame if they can't provide it , I mean why enable the exchange if nobody can access it.

I will ring this evening and let you know what happens. If this fails I will have to accept I will never get broadband unless digiweb comes here(unlikely).:rolleyes:

I rang eircom and they told me that I could try ordering broadband on a new line... BUT... if broadband could not be delivered I would still have to take the line and enter a 6 month contrat.

Is this right or should I insist on gettting a line purely on the basis broadband can be provided?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    Is this right or should I insist on gettting a line purely on the basis broadband can be provided?

Can't do that. The engineer would be aware of the order and because the engineer must enter the premises to install a new line you can tell him to ensure it is broadband compliant. If he won't do his best then don't let him in and as the new line is not actually installed then they cannot bill you for it can they ??? Normally the engineers are very sound and their word that it will pass is good enough for me.

It could show in the database as a 'red' line for up to 3-4 weeks after install so don't freak out on us please.

You can cancel the old line and transfer the number to the new line for free though just after install. After 6 months you can cancel the new line if not fit for purpose.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Can't do that. The engineer would be aware of the order and because the engineer must enter the premises to install a new line you can tell him to ensure it is broadband compliant. If he won't do his best then don't let him in and as the new line is not actually installed then they cannot bill you for it can they ??? Normally the engineers are very sound and their word that it will pass is good enough for me.

It could show in the database as a 'red' line for up to 3-4 weeks after install so don't freak out on us please.

You can cancel the old line and transfer the number to the new line for free though just after install. After 6 months you can cancel the new line if not fit for purpose.

Cheers sponge,

So i'll order that free PTSN instalation you told me about and transfer my phone on to that then and try to get broadband on it? I have nothing to lose there do I?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Print this link I gave you elsewhere in case they try charging for it.

Installation of a completely new line ("Standard Connection Promotion") is free between now and the 28th of September ...even if you have a line already.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Print this link I gave you elsewhere in case they try charging for it.

Installation of a completely new line ("Standard Connection Promotion") is free between now and the 28th of September ...even if you have a line already.

Yep I printed it already , cheers for that. Will let you know how I get on.

OK I have an update.

After alot of toing and froing betwwen eircom and my current service provider I finally got a response.

After promising eircom that I would go back to them if they could provide broadband they told me that they told me that my line is palnned to be upgraded by the end of the year , i suspect this is a big lie!

I went ahead and ordered the free PTSN line because they did promise to do their best to make it broadband compliant , i.e. not a carrier line. We'll see what happens anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 rural citizen

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    OK I have an update.

After alot of toing and froing betwwen eircom and my current service provider I finally got a response.

After promising eircom that I would go back to them if they could provide broadband they told me that they told me that my line is palnned to be upgraded by the end of the year , i suspect this is a big lie!

I went ahead and ordered the free PTSN line because they did promise to do their best to make it broadband compliant , i.e. not a carrier line. We'll see what happens anyway.

Hi
    I live in a rural area and cannot access satelite broadband or wireless broadband, as my house is surrounded by huge trees. However, I do live close to a DSL enabled telephone exchange and having talked to my neighbours on both sides of my house, I found that they are all able to access eircom broadband through their telephone lines, and are happy with the speeds and service.

I have contacted eircom four times in the last five years and each time they have told me that my line has not been updated and that I can't receive broadband. I have been doing some research and think that I may be on a "carrier line" but am not sure if I can get off this. It seems really strange to me that most of my close neighbours are able to access broadband but I can't. If anyone has any advice on this, I would really appreciate hearing from you. Also, does anyone know if Eircom have to take you off a carrier kine and if they don't, what would be their reasons for not doing so?

Thank you

Advertisement