Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics with Astronomy question~ need answer ASAP

Options
  • 23-08-2010 9:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Does anyone know if the course for Physics with astronomy is better at ucd or dcu?
    I didn't notice that ucd required higher maths or physics, and i did ordinary maths( though i got an A1).
    That was my first choice >_<
    I accepted for dcu but I wanted to know if it's good :| if it's not I'll just repeat and do higher maths or take up physics
    Or if any other college is better? Preferably in Dublin area.
    Thanks for the help~

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

I can't tell you if its better or not, but you may have trouble with the maths if you didn't do higher level. Its pretty good in DCU anyway AFAIK, I didn't even know they did it in UCD so my opinion isn't worth much

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

DN033 Entry Requirements
    Irish*
    English
    Mathematics**
    One laboratory science subject
    Two other recognised subjects
    Leaving Certificate:
    Passes in 6 subjects including those shown above, of which two much be minimum HC3.
    *A-Level candidates are usually exempt from the Irish Language requirement.
    **Minimum Grade B3 LC Ordinary Level/ D3 LC Higher Level. NB: One of Physics or Mathematics or Applied Mathematics must be presented at minimum Grade C3 Higher Level.

So it requires neither higher maths or physics.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭AnneElizabeth

Fad wrote: »
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by https://myucd.ucd.ie/program.do?programID=76

DN033 Entry Requirements
    Irish*
    English
    Mathematics**
    One laboratory science subject
    Two other recognised subjects
    Leaving Certificate:
    Passes in 6 subjects including those shown above, of which two much be minimum HC3.
    *A-Level candidates are usually exempt from the Irish Language requirement.
    **Minimum Grade B3 LC Ordinary Level/ D3 LC Higher Level. NB: One of Physics or Mathematics or Applied Mathematics must be presented at minimum Grade C3 Higher Level.
    So it requires neither higher maths or physics.

What does that last line mean then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Oresama0_0 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the course for Physics with astronomy is better at ucd or dcu?
    I didn't notice that ucd required higher maths or physics, and i did ordinary maths( though i got an A1).
    That was my first choice >_<
    I accepted for dcu but I wanted to know if it's good :| if it's not I'll just repeat and do higher maths or take up physics
    Or if any other college is better? Preferably in Dublin area.
    Thanks for the help~

I'm going into my fourth year of a joint degree in Maths and Physics. To be perfectly honest, I think you'll find any physics course extremely difficult without having done Physics or HL Maths before. Hopefully you're an adaptable sort who'll manage to settle in quickly, but don't be surprised if you struggle a bit without having HL maths or physics beforehand.

I can't comment on the whole UCD vs DCU thing because I go to UCC and am not from Dublin, and so not familiar with those courses. But if you've already accepted DCU, you might aswell try it out anyway and see how you get on there. If you like it, all well and good. If you don't like it, you can always drop out and at least say you tried it, then work out where it is you want to go from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

What does that last line mean then?

Wah, tired Fad fail >_<

UCD course it supposed to be very good, but you'd want to be seriously into astro to do it, apparently it's very tedious unless you're really interested. (I'm in science omnibus)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Oresama0_0

Fad wrote: »
    Wah, tired Fad fail >_<

UCD course it supposed to be very good, but you'd want to be seriously into astro to do it, apparently it's very tedious unless you're really interested. (I'm in science omnibus)

It's mostly astronomy I'm interested in, so that's not a problem... ^^
    I'm going into my fourth year of a joint degree in Maths and Physics. To be perfectly honest, I think you'll find any physics course extremely difficult without having done Physics or HL Maths before. Hopefully you're an adaptable sort who'll manage to settle in quickly, but don't be surprised if you struggle a bit without having HL maths or physics beforehand.

I can't comment on the whole UCD vs DCU thing because I go to UCC and am not from Dublin, and so not familiar with those courses. But if you've already accepted DCU, you might aswell try it out anyway and see how you get on there. If you like it, all well and good. If you don't like it, you can always drop out and at least say you tried it, then work out where it is you want to go from there.

I think I could do it, since I improved a lot once I got interested in it. I might try it out then :| don't really feel like repeating just for one or two subjects >_<
    :| wrote: »
    I can't tell you if its better or not, but you may have trouble with the maths if you didn't do higher level. Its pretty good in DCU anyway AFAIK, I didn't even know they did it in UCD so my opinion isn't worth much

Is the course more physics or astronomy centered in DCU?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Accepted Physics with astronomy and space science in UCD yesterday. I did higher physics but ordinary maths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

Conor108-Accepted Physics with astronomy and space science in UCD yesterday. I did higher physics but ordinary maths
    Michaelrsh wrote: »
    Hey there,

I'm actually in first year at the moment doing Physics with Astronomy and Space Science. My advise is to do the Omnibus science programme (DN008) instead of the denominated (DN033). I now HATE astronomy<snip> and now want to move over to the science omnibus to do a plain old physics degree and might minor in statistics later (don't be tempted by the field trip to La Laguna in 3rd year of astronomy, keep your options open as one person said there). Now I can't go onto take minors in chemistry or biology, which is a bitch.

In terms of the argument between UCD and Trinity, the omnibus science course in UCD is far more flexible yet the Trinity general science course is far more structured. Also you can take computer science in UCD which you can't do as part of the general science course in Trinity. Plus, in UCD there are a far greater number of possible degrees you can get out of the science omnibus in comparison to Trinity. However, OP, you seem sure you want to do physics, therefore I would say go for the Trinity general science course and make your way into physics that way (if you're absolutely sure you want to do physics though). I sure wish I could go back in time at this stage and change around my CAO application so that general science in Trinity would be before UCD. To my fellow UCD students, I don't want to sound like traitor, however I now know that Trinity has a far better physics department than UCD, it mightn't however have better biology, bio-medical and chemistry departments though. The reason for me saying this is that there are far far greater research and postgraduate opportunities in Trinity for physics. There is only one postgraduate research masters you can do in UCD for physics and it deals with nanoscience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Yeah saw that Scrappychimow, I did have omnibus as my 1st but missed it. I do like astro though but if it turns out its not for me I'll go down the internal transfer route.

It's mostly astronomy I'm interested in, so that's not a problem... ^^

I think I could do it, since I improved a lot once I got interested in it. I might try it out then :| don't really feel like repeating just for one or two subjects >_<

Is the course more physics or astronomy centered in DCU?

I think its more general physics in 1st and 2nd year but after that its more concentrated on astronomy i think, but physics modules are still taken. Projects etc are normally based on astronomy. for Intra, most astronomy students doa field trip in an observatory abroad but some choose to do work experience in companies or research in physics. In final year most astronomy students choose an astronomy based final year project but some choose a physics one.

• Advertisement

I think its more general physics in 1st and 2nd year but after that its more concentrated on astronomy i think, but physics modules are still taken. Projects etc are normally based on astronomy. for Intra, most astronomy students doa field trip in an observatory abroad but some choose to do work experience in companies or research in physics. In final year most astronomy students choose an astronomy based final year project but some choose a physics one.

Ah okay, thanks this is helpful ^^

Lorrr wrote: »
    I was in your shoes last year. Got accepted to Physics & Astronomy DCU, and hadn't done physics for the leaving, although I did do higher maths.
    To be honest, i really struggled with physics. Its very tough. And if you didnt do higher maths you'll find that really difficult too.
    Like you, I was mainly interested in the astronomy side of the course. But all year we only had one module on astronomy (which was only for semester 1). The rest was pretty much all physics and a bit of maths.
    After finishing 1st year I decided to withdraw from the course. It just wasn't what i thought it would be. Sorry if thats not the sort of thing you wana hear, but that was just my experience.

Then I probably wouldn't manage since I didn't even do higher maths -_-;' agh I should have thought about this earlier/read the stuff properly. I might just give it a go for a year like you did, but that way I might end up wasting 2 years(since after I drop out I would have to do physics or maths again for my lc). There is just nothing else I want to do other than this :\
    Nah it's fine thanks, I want all sorts of opinions ^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Hendo

Oresama,

I accepted for P & A in dcu for next year too after being granted a transfer. Last year I was doing mechanical engineering in dit so that gave me a solid basis in basic physics and maths. To be perfectly honest the maths and physics u do is easy as u make it for yourself. I know I'm sounding like an old teacher but if your willing to sit down shut up and listen in lectures you'll be fine, and this is coming from someone who got a D2 in ord LC maths! All college start from scratch in all modules anyways so they treat u as if you know nothing so don't be expecting to be thrown right in the deep end! I remember my first lecture in engineering maths was on rounding numbers!! Oh and I better not forget to mention I had never done physics at LC level but my year engineering has thrown me in love with it!

Hendo wrote: »
    Oresama,

I accepted for P & A in dcu for next year too after being granted a transfer. Last year I was doing mechanical engineering in dit so that gave me a solid basis in basic physics and maths. To be perfectly honest the maths and physics u do is easy as u make it for yourself. I know I'm sounding like an old teacher but if your willing to sit down shut up and listen in lectures you'll be fine, and this is coming from someone who got a D2 in ord LC maths! All college start from scratch in all modules anyways so they treat u as if you know nothing so don't be expecting to be thrown right in the deep end! I remember my first lecture in engineering maths was on rounding numbers!! Oh and I better not forget to mention I had never done physics at LC level but my year engineering has thrown me in love with it!

: DDD thanks! I'm not so scared now, I think I'll go for it :3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Hendo

: DDD thanks! I'm not so scared now, I think I'll go for it :3

see ya there chief!

If you got an A1 in OL and are willing to do extra work, you should be ok. A lot of people find maths tough in 1st year though, even those who did higher level for the leaving cert so don't panic if this is the case for you.

Actually, in all aspects of the course if you're willing to put in the work you should do fine! Theres a free maths learning centre in DCU as well that you should use if you need it :D

If you got an A1 in OL and are willing to do extra work, you should be ok. A lot of people find maths tough in 1st year though, even those who did higher level for the leaving cert so don't panic if this is the case for you.

Actually, in all aspects of the course if you're willing to put in the work you should do fine! Theres a free maths learning centre in DCU as well that you should use if you need it :D

ah okay :3 And I don't mind puting in extra work, since I'm really interested in the course ^^.

Advertisement