Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit card for student

Options
  • 23-08-2010 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hello everyone, Im an 18 year old, 2nd year Law Student. I have an visa debit card from ulster bank. As visa is widely accepted across the world. I was wondering should I get a visa credit card. On a typical student credit card I get max 600 euro monthly limit whereas on my visa debit card I can spend 1500 euro per day. Not that I spend that much in a day. What do you guys suggest. should I or should I not go ahead and get a credit card????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Hello everyone, Im an 18 year old, 2nd year Law Student. I have an visa debit card from ulster bank. As visa is widely accepted across the world. I was wondering should I get a visa credit card. On a typical student credit card I get max 600 euro monthly limit whereas on my visa debit card I can spend 1500 euro per day. Not that I spend that much in a day. What do you guys suggest. should I or should I not go ahead and get a credit card????

Im going to give you some 'tough love' as my advice.

Firstly, i have worked previously for 2 big cc companies. My advice to you is that you do not 'need' a credit card. The only reason you need a credit card in your situation is purely piece of mind, that if there is an emergency and you need something urgently the cc is there for you. If you are intending to use it in a 'leisure purchase' capacity, steer well clear.

Apart from that, your debit card is ideal and performs many of the functions that a cc does.

I have a cc myself for 12 years, never use it unless i buy flights or make a serious purchase.

Credit cards are a slippery slope if you are not savvy and banks rely on 'foolishness' (imo) to bring in the profits. Play life within your means, stick to your debit card and spend what you can afford. Get your degree, work for a while and then think about the credit card again when you have the means to pay it off in full at the end of the month. Until then your debit card will see you through and you wont have an extra cc bill to worry about.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Hey guys,similiar situation to the op except I don't have a debit card.

Basically I'm thinkin about getting a credit card,I like to do a bit of online shopping and I use paypal for that which is great but alotta sites don't accept it.
    So I was thinkin I might have to get a credit card,I also looked at this as an alternative
    https://www.paypal-marketing.co.uk/topupcard/index.htm
    anyone ever use it?

Advertisement