Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gateway Student Village?

• 23-08-2010 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hey lads,
    I'm heading to DCU this year and will almost definitely be staying in the gateway<snip>.Would just like to get a some opinions from folks who've stayed there before or are currently staying there.I've been to see the place,looks nice and the landlords seem sound as a pound that ye found on the ground,so I've already gotten off to a decent start at the place.

What is there that's fun to do around the gateway?
    Is the distance from the campus any hassle?
    What are they typically strict on and what are they more likely to let slide?
    and any other miscellaneous info/advice you can give

Cheers lads,see yis next year!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

Is your name John? Or Edward?

Gateway's grand, there's been a few threads about it. There was an old management company a while ago that was a train wreck, but the new one is apparently infinitely nicer.
    ElSeano93 wrote: »
    What is there that's fun to do around the gateway?
    Go to DCU, do studenty things in DCU, that sort of thing :) Not a lot in the immediate vicinity though.
    Is the distance from the campus any hassle?
    Nah, not really. It's a bit further then Shanowen (iirc it was a 10/15 minute walk?), but nothing terrible. Learn the route through the housing estates (look it up on Google maps), it'll save you time and it's a nice walk during the good weather.
    What are they typically strict on and what are they more likely to let slide?
    The one thing that jumps to mind is you can have visitors over whenever you want here, where as on campus you'll get nabbed by security on the way in. Someone who's lived there with the new management company can probably give a more complete answer to this.
    and any other miscellaneous info/advice you can give
    Don't let the horror stories about Ballymun put you off. It has some problems but I never had any trouble living there (for a year). Just watch out for the ponies on the footpath :pac:

You'll have a Supervalu right across the road from you. It won't seem much at the time, but you will miss it as soon as you move *anywhere* else. Great little shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ElSeano93

<snip>
    Cheers for the advice bud!
    Any idea what date it is that the newcomers move in?
    And whats the story with the underground car park,because I work <snip>so I'll sometimes be doing callouts late at night,and just wondering if theres any particular time restrictions on when you can access your vehicle?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

ElSeano93 wrote: »
    Cheers for the advice bud!
    Any idea what date it is that the newcomers move in?
    And whats the story with the underground car park,because I work so I'll sometimes be doing callouts late at night,and just wondering if theres any particular time restrictions on when you can access your vehicle?
    Thanks,.

There are no time restrictions with regards to the car park, you will pay a deposit and you will be given a fob which will open the large gates where you can drive down to the underground car park. You can access it any time you like :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭slasher_65

I'm also interested in the Student Gateway. I don't live FAR from the college (maybe an hour commute every day) but commuting money would rack up rather fast thanks to the system of trains and busses I would need to get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

slasher_65 wrote: »
    I'm also interested in the Student Gateway. I don't live FAR from the college (maybe an hour commute every day) but commuting money would rack up rather fast thanks to the system of trains and busses I would need to get.

I have been told by the management that it is filling up really fast so if you want to stay there i would get onto them ASAP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ElSeano93

Lucky enough we had our gaff in the gateway booked since last march!
    Yeah the places are filling up really quick because the on-campus offers have just come out so all those who didn't get it are leggin' it for the Gateway.As far as I know Shanowen has no placed left,but that's only what i heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 hamkie2

Gateway is alright, theres alot of better places though if you're stuck. Theres Shanowen square and hall apartments and then theres plenty of houses around the college too. The SU have a new board in the hub in college where people can post ads for available rooms/houses etc.
    The reason I don't like Gateway particularly is because two friends were living there last year and a bunch of flats, including theirs, were robbed;laptops, phones, mp3 players etc were stolen, so just give a scout around first before deciding. Plus its in the middle of Ballymun, might be a bit dodgey at times!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 glorylad

Hey guys,
    Im hoping to head to DCU next year and am looking into staying at gateway student village. Would like to hear from some people who stayed there last year (10/11' year) on what the place is like? I heard the place has changed radically in last few years and would love to know is it worth going for.
    Any views would be greatly appreciated.
    Sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 dex409

i stayed there under the new management, they are wonderful people , but the distance is a problem if you are looking at long lecture hours it isnt suitable, and the uphill walk or estate route will tire you out for the evenings preventing you from studying and its a hazard getting up on campus during winter as the paths are frozen smooth like glass. As for guests you cant have them spend the night but your left to your own devices during the day and management wont bother you.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Kerrangatang92

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows from past experience if many DIT (Bolton Street) students have used this accomodation before? I myself am going into 1st year there and am finding it hard to get accom with DIT students as DIT have no campus etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 flatjab

Yes, I used to go to DIT and stayed there during that time. Was good. Bus stop pretty much outside the door. Handy enough. Was about 30 of us from DIT there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Kerrangatang92

Thanks flatjab.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39 SophieRogan

Just put down a deposit for Gateway village...! excited!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭sourire

Just put down a deposit for Gateway village...! excited!

Me too:)

sourire wrote: »
    Me too:)

yay :)

yay :)

Wooooo! I'm glad I got it, I don't think there were many spaces left when I booked last night. Was annoyed I didn't get campus but at least this is still a student place:)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 BubblesXD

I booked too!

BubblesXD wrote: »
    I booked too!

Are you going into first year too?:)

Are you going into first year too?:)

Yeah, European Business and German!

Heh, we could all end up bein in the same room cause we all booked last night! :)
    Went to look at it this afternoon - short walk to DCU, and really nice and secure apartments :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭polkabunny

Going up to look at them next week, but I'm booked in anyway if I want it! So relieved I have somewhere to live :D

• Registered Users Posts: 38 school_sux

Heh, we could all end up bein in the same room cause we all booked last night! :)
    Went to look at it this afternoon - short walk to DCU, and really nice and secure apartments :)

Yay thats good to hear, because I dont think i'll be able to view them before I have to pay the full amount. I booked last night too! see ye all there haha :)

I won't have time to look at them either before I've to pay, are they nice? Anyone know when we can move in from?

I won't have time to look at them either before I've to pay, are they nice? Anyone know when we can move in from?

They look nice in the photos haha. Ya I was wondering that too, did you get an email from them? it says we have to pay by the 1st so I'd say we could move in when we pay? I'm not sure.

school_sux wrote: »
    They look nice in the photos haha. Ya I was wondering that too, did you get an email from them? it says we have to pay by the 1st so I'd say we could move in when we pay? I'm not sure.

Yep, I got the email. It says all payments must be made before you collect the keys, and that has to be done by 1st Sept...so we can move in that early?!! I only saw the pictures too lol...I bet they're old though.

Yep, I got the email. It says all payments must be made before you collect the keys, and that has to be done by 1st Sept...so we can move in that early?!! I only saw the pictures too lol...I bet they're old though.

ya I think it would be cool if we could move in that early, ya I wouldnt be surprised if the apartments looked nothing like the photos! haha I like the brown leather couches they look so comfy! I hope they're all like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows from past experience if many DIT (Bolton Street) students have used this accomodation before? I myself am going into 1st year there and am finding it hard to get accom with DIT students as DIT have no campus etc.

Ya im thinking of going up there but also looking into shanowen accom down the road from it. Going to bolton street myself 1st year

I lived in Gateway before and to be honest, the apartments are even nicer than on the pics. They are quite large. I remember I was surprised by the size as I didn't expect it from the pics. And absolutely spotless as well. AND YES, the leather couches were there!! :-)

flatjab wrote: »
    I lived in Gateway before and to be honest, the apartments are even nicer than on the pics. They are quite large. I remember I was surprised by the size as I didn't expect it from the pics. And absolutely spotless as well. AND YES, the leather couches were there!! :-)

Did you live there last year or when, what's it like? How long is the walk to DCU?

• Advertisement

Last year and I had friends staying there this summer for a week (early August). About 5-7mins walk to DCU

Yeah I went up yesterday to have a look! The walk would be short enough, ten minutes max! The route is straight forward too, when your at gateway just walk straight and then take a left and DCU is on your right. Theres a shop right across the road, a Garda station is in RIGHT beside the apartments. I got shown the show apartment and it was lovely! When you go in the door there's a large bathroom on your right, the next two rooms that side are bedrooms which are big enough, massive compared to larkfield! Desk and a large enough wardrobe, mirror and a single bed. On the left as you walk in there's another bedroom, sameish size as the others! Then there's the shared area of a kitchen and sitting room which looks lovely. The leather couches were in the show one but I did see the maintenance people putting them into other apartments! There's a table etc, they give you cutlery and the lot, microwave large fridge freezer toaster kettle. Pretty sure I'll be headed here come September!

Yeah I went up yesterday to have a look! The walk would be short enough, ten minutes max! The route is straight forward too, when your at gateway just walk straight and then take a left and DCU is on your right. Theres a shop right across the road, a Garda station is in RIGHT beside the apartments. I got shown the show apartment and it was lovely! When you go in the door there's a large bathroom on your right, the next two rooms that side are bedrooms which are big enough, massive compared to larkfield! Desk and a large enough wardrobe, mirror and a single bed. On the left as you walk in there's another bedroom, sameish size as the others! Then there's the shared area of a kitchen and sitting room which looks lovely. The leather couches were in the show one but I did see the maintenance people putting them into other apartments! There's a table etc, they give you cutlery and the lot, microwave large fridge freezer toaster kettle. Pretty sure I'll be headed here come September!

woooo its sounds so nice, cant wait to move in!! :D

Change of plans for me, looks like I'm staying in shanowen sqaure! But good luck guys, have fun :)

Change of plans for me, looks like I'm staying in shanowen sqaure! But good luck guys, have fun :)

Tried to get in there but all booked out

Tried to get in there but all booked out

Yeah it was booked out when I applied but I got through by cancellation!

• Advertisement

Yeah it was booked out when I applied but I got through by cancellation!

Aww nice. They just told me to keep an eye on the site

went up to gateway yesterday! Cant wait to move up there, the place was really nice and not for from dcu at all, really excited about starting now!:D

Went up earlier today to have a gawk, (didn't cop you had to pay today, long story) and took some pictures to show the family, can upload them to photobucket or something and link them if somebody wants...
    Overall impression, nice and clean. Plenty of room, and they seem to have it all pretty well firgured out. You have an oven/grill, toaster, kettle, fridge/freezer and microwave, and was pleasantly surprised to see cutlery and bits like that came with too. Wireless broadband is there, the router is in clear view in the living/dining room, and a good wardrobe size too. Took me and my friend 10 minutes to walk from DCU, but we were arsing around and messing really, so it's probably quite shorter. Very easy to get to and everything, Garda station is three steps away from the door and straight across the orad is the leisure centre, and I think there's some shops across the road and down a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭RyDar

Stayed there last year, didn't really like it...it wasn't bad just wasn't...good!

The walk can be a quite annoying, especially when when it's really hot, or really cold (last winter it took 30 mins upwards to walk to DCU due to the feckin' ice rink that had formed the whole way..) or raining, also you won't really be able to go back for lunch or whatever because it'll take you 15 mins to get there and 15 mins to get back.
    Another problem I had was the apartment itself, I got a small one, was pretty dirty when I got there, but that was just bad luck as opposed to malintent.

The good side though is it's close to the shops (which are mega cheap), garda station, leisure centre, bus stop, all that kinda stuff, rent is pretty good, and they upgraded the internet connection (last year it was diabolical)

Also in regards to guests, they don't care, people can stay over in your apartment no problem, so long as you're not making any noise they probably won't even notice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 emmy_lou

so I got offered a place on campus today, and I'm after paying the full amount for gateway, I am so annoyed, I really want to stay on campus. Just wondering do you think I'd get my money back from gateway, I know there is a long waiting list, so they wouldn't lose out on money...

EDIT: nevermind I'm staying on campus, good bye gateway :)

• Advertisement

Anybody find out their room numbers? Im 69 :/ hahahah

I'm 107 :)
    Haha, you'll have some craic with a flat number like that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Sm4shbox

How did ye find out?

When is everyone moving up/ their things in?

Can't wait :D

Sm4shbox wrote: »
    How did ye find out?

When is everyone moving up/ their things in?

Can't wait :D

You're told when you get your keys :)
    Moving up on Monday as far as I know, fairly early but I won't stay up for the full week beforehand, you? :D

@Sm4shbox Where abouts in Mayo are you from? Ive been told my roommate is from Ballina?!

Collected my keys today and not moving up until the 18th because Im working weekends!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tanyatucker27

no. 75E :)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Sm4shbox

@Sm4shbox Where abouts in Mayo are you from? Ive been told my roommate is from Ballina?!

Collected my keys today and not moving up until the 18th because Im working weekends!

Sorry it's not me! Originally from Mayo but don't live there now.

Who's in block C? :)

no. 75E :)

Ah Im 69E

Don't suppose anyone's in block G?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 jledru

Hi everybody,

I think I'm going to Gateway in September !
    I would liki to know if there is people going to DIT kevin street ?

Thanks

Julien

• Advertisement
Advertisement