Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wierd problems with machine ,after power cut.

• 23-08-2010 10:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭

Not sure what to make of my pc after a power cut last week.
    Basically my machine was on when the power went.
    The next time I turned it on ,my machine was freezing soon after booting and I had to turn off the power to power down.

So I got a new hard drive and stuck it in today and after reinstalling vista ,I get the distinct impression something still isn't right.
    It's taking a lot longer for the windows boot screen to load up after the bios loads. And the machine is still a bit sluggish now and then.

Is there a chance that the controller maybe damaged on the pc aswell ,or would it be just the new drive ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    Not sure what to make of my pc after a power cut last week.
    Basically my machine was on when the power went.
    The next time I turned it on ,my machine was freezing soon after booting and I had to turn off the power to power down.

So I got a new hard drive and stuck it in today and after reinstalling vista ,I get the distinct impression something still isn't right.
    It's taking a lot longer for the windows boot screen to load up after the bios loads. And the machine is still a bit sluggish now and then.

Is there a chance that the controller maybe damaged on the pc aswell ,or would it be just the new drive ?

Thanks.

If you installed a new HDD and the pc is booting I doubt you have any other damage.. maybe try chkdsk /r on the old hdd ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭jpl888

Well I have had problems with a HP DX2200 where the motherboard was on the way out for a long time.

Although it would work it was slow and looking at dmesg I was getting irq, ide controller and BIOS hand off errors. New MB fixed it good.

If you want to test download an Ubuntu Live CD run it for a few hours and keep checking the output of dmesg from the command line.

It would certainly tell you where the problem is i.e. the hard drive and software or the machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Thanks ,it's been a long time since I've had any trouble with a machine
    I've taken out the old hard drive completely. luckily I kept all my files on the other drive in the machine.

Whats annoying me is webpages are taking ages to load both on firefox 3.6 and IE. It's like I have a bad internet connection.

jpl888 wrote: »
    Well I have had problems with a HP DX2200 where the motherboard was on the way out for a long time.

Although it would work it was slow and looking at dmesg I was getting irq, ide controller and BIOS hand off errors. New MB fixed it good.

If you want to test download an Ubuntu Live CD run it for a few hours and keep checking the output of dmesg from the command line.

It would certainly tell you where the problem is i.e. the hard drive and software or the machine.

I googled dmesg and it's for unix ,I only use windows:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

I googled dmesg and it's for unix ,I only use windows:(

there are plenty utils for windows too but as another poster mentioned download (free) ubuntu - only takes about 15 min including install

• Advertisement

corkcomp wrote: »
    there are plenty utils for windows too but as another poster mentioned download (free) ubuntu - only takes about 15 min including install

Oh sorry ,I misread that as testing the machine while downloading an ubuntu live CD:o

No worries.

If the web is still slow in Ubuntu it's your firewall, network connection or internet connection causing that problem.

No worries.

If the web is still slow in Ubuntu it's your firewall, network connection or internet connection causing that problem.

Appreciate the help ,I just finished downloading the ubuntu ISO. I'll load it up tomorrow and give dmesg a go.
    My only worry is I'm using a usb wifi adapter and it's an akward yoke to get working (specific drivers) ,hopefully it will work in ubuntu.

There was one other thing that I forgot to mention ,when I put a disk into the machine ,windows would initially ask me to lable the disc for a few seconds. As if it didn't recognise the type of disc was there

Again ,thanks very much.

Appreciate the help ,I just finished downloading the ubuntu ISO. I'll load it up tomorrow and give dmesg a go.
    My only worry is I'm using a usb wifi adapter and it's an akward yoke to get working (specific drivers) ,hopefully it will work in ubuntu.

Well if you want to give me the vendor and product ids for it I will be able to tell you if it will work with Ubuntu or not (in the driver details in device manager). To sidestep it may be as well just to use the ethernet port, might save farting around.
    There was one other thing that I forgot to mention ,when I put a disk into the machine ,windows would initially ask me to lable the disc for a few seconds. As if it didn't recognise the type of disc was there

Again ,thanks very much.

I haven't come across that one before, sounds a bit virus like, maybe not?

You're welcome.

Well if you want to give me the vendor and product ids for it I will be able to tell you if it will work with Ubuntu or not (in the driver details in device manager). To sidestep it may be as well just to use the ethernet port, might save farting around.

I haven't come across that one before, sounds a bit virus like, maybe not?

You're welcome.

I think I have a lenght of ethernet around that will do for it ok.

It's funny you mention a virus ,because around the same time my laptop went a bit wonky aswell. The laptop is running win7 and eset security ,screen on it initially went blank and blocks appeared on the screen.
    I discovered that the card reader drivers had changed and windows device manager had unknown base devices listed ,that machine seems fine though.

All fun and games:)

• Advertisement

Sure if Windows wasn't so susceptible to viruses what would the idle classes have to do with their spare time? ;)

Sure if Windows wasn't so susceptible to viruses what would the idle classes have to do with their spare time? ;)

Windows 7 is not bad ,I'll see how ubuntu goes on this machine though ,couldn't possibly be any worse than vista:D

Windows 7 is not bad ,I'll see how ubuntu goes on this machine though ,couldn't possibly be any worse than vista:D

7 is definitely an improvement, but it's all relative. I prefer having an OS that works AND the chances of getting a virus on it are slim to none.

I tried ubuntu a couple of years ago and the command lines get me.
    I used ms-dos for years before windows ,but the command lines were all pretty straight forward. Unix/ubuntu was a lot harder the last time I tried it.

Fingers crossed it's the software thats the problem ,I might stick with ubuntu.

I tried ubuntu a couple of years ago and the command lines get me.
    I used ms-dos for years before windows ,but the command lines were all pretty straight forward. Unix/ubuntu was a lot harder the last time I tried it.

Fingers crossed it's the software thats the problem ,I might stick with ubuntu.

With the newer versions you don't really need the command line unless you are trouble shooting.

If you need any advice on how to do something with Ubuntu I would be more than willing to help. My way of giving something back to the community. :)

Cheers ,hopefully I'll get things running ok.

Hallo again. I've installed ubuntu and not sure what to do with dmesg ?

My wifi usb loaded without even looking for drivers:D ,nice finish on the menus aswell:)

Hallo again. I've installed ubuntu and not sure what to do with dmesg ?

My wifi usb loaded without even looking for drivers:D ,nice finish on the menus aswell:)

It's not quite OSX but it's nice enough.

Firstly I suppose see if browsing in Firefox is ok?

If you can post the output of dmesg, I will take a look through it for errors.

Theres a lot of text so I saved it to a txt file.

Theres a lot of text so I saved it to a txt file.

Looks clean as a whistle to me. Though I would recommend browsing and what not for an hour or 2 and running it again.

Is browsing working well enough for you?

• Advertisement

Looks clean as a whistle to me. Though I would recommend browsing and what not for an hour or 2 and running it again.

Is browsing working well enough for you?

Thanks a lot for checking things for me.

The machine seems to be fine ,a lot faster using ubuntu anyway. Don't notice any issues at the moment ,fingers crossed.

Looks like vista was causing trouble after all.

Possibly or the hard disk itself.

You can install Ubuntu in a loop mounted file on your existing hard drive without borking or resizing partitions if you use Wubi.

It won't run as fast as a straight install but it will be faster than the CD and it will tell you if it's the hard drive or Vista itself.

Just insert the Ubuntu CD whilst in Windows and Wubi will come up as an option.

Glad to help.

Ubuntu installed ontop of vista and I have the option of a dual boot ,is this ok ?

If ubuntu works out ,I'll probably format this drive and install ubuntu on it's own.

Ah yeah that's fine. Good on yer.

If there is anything your stuck at trying to do let me know. There's always a way round it.

Oh and if you are going to wipe and install it put /home on a separate partition. If you were going to change from 32 to 64 bit or vice versa it helps and you won't have to copy data around.

Ah yeah that's fine. Good on yer.

If there is anything your stuck at trying to do let me know. There's always a way round it.

It seems to be spot on thanks ,the rhythmbox music player is great.
    Might even start using the open office software.

It seems to be spot on thanks ,the rhythmbox music player is great.
    Might even start using the open office software.

Apparently Rhythmbox integrates very well with Ipods these days.

Open Office is pretty good. I only really use it for invoicing and letters. The menu is similar to Office 2003 and before. It's very handy being able to export straight to PDF or save in Office XP format. Oracle are making quite a lot of interface changes I'm hearing on the grape vine. They should bring it a bit more up to date although there is concern they will close source it at some stage and someone will have to fork it (although Novell and IBM have their own versions anyway so it's not much worry).

Advertisement