Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pugs

Options
  • 23-08-2010 10:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭

Hi everyone!

In a few weeks time, we are hoping to get our first pug puppy. I was just wondering if any pug owners have any advice about them. I know they are extremely friendly, placid breed and tire easily when walking. Any other advice?

Also, if anyone can recommend a reputable breeder? Im not too sure if you are alowed post details here, but if someone could maybe pm me!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Hi, best thing is to contact the breed club and find out what breeders have puppies coming up in the next few months.
    You might not get a puppy exactly when you want it but its best to go with a recommended breeder and wait for the right puppy and not rush into getting one too quick and buy from a dodgy breeder/puppy farmer.

Ìrish Pug Dog Club

Mr. W.R. Kilpatrick
    Kerronmor House, Woodrooffe, Clonmel, Co. Tipperary.
    (052-35288)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Goldenegg

thanks a million andrea. Yep, thats the last thing that we want to do. I dont agree with these puppy farms at all!!

Will contact the assosiation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Goldenegg wrote: »
    thanks a million andrea. Yep, thats the last thing that we want to do. I dont agree with these puppy farms at all!!

Will contact the assosiation.

No prob, if you are in the Dublin area, there are 2 big shows on the weekend of the 10th Sept, sat and sunday in Swords so you could pop out and talk to some of the pug people and ask them if they have any litters planned soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 tulipi

I have a little pug puppy and she's the sweetest thing. So cute.
    I would say that they're a really friendly, outgoing breed but they are stubborn and when they're puppies they can be really hyper - as my Mabel is at the moment!

Training can be difficult with them because they are so stubborn. My pug is such a character, she throws a fit and gives out when she can't get or do what she wants, but you have to be firm with them. Also since they're small and have tiny bladders they can't hold it for very long when they're puppies so you have to be patient and expect some mistakes to be made with the toilet training.

Another thing to be careful of is their eyes. I'm constantly on the look out for corners of tables, and branches outside etc that she might hurt herself on. They can get corneal ulcers from banging their eyes into things because they're so curious about everything and don't have a brow bone to protect their eyes like other dogs, so when they push their faces into things they can get hurt.

They are really great dogs. So much personality. There's a great pug site that I found recently that has lots of experienced pug owners that could answer any questions you might have. www.pugspot.com There's always someone available on the forum and they are really helpful. Most of the members are american (pugs are much more common there) so you might have to wait till the afternoon for replies but for training and general health tips and help it's great.

Advertisement