Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Swordscc hill climb 25/08/10

• 23-08-2010 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Anyone know this hill?
    Is it the same hill used in nags head circuit?
    Never done hill climb before so any advice re warming up etc., very welcome!!

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Yes - it's the Nags Head climb, part of the Corduff circuit - starting, I think, somewhere near the roundabout at the 5 Roads, but taking a right when over the main hill, with a final short but sharp climb to the finish at the quarry.

Possibly the last time we'll ever do this hill, as I believe the road is due to be closed because of the new waste disposal facility

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭pprendeville

can someone map this ride? might give it a go on me own

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭Dave11

Last one of the year!!! :(

God I just love this hill.... :rolleyes:

Wasn't to sure if I was gonna make it as it clashes with a certain Spurs Champions League qualifier but thank god for Sky plus and I'll turn the phone off!! Was looking at the current point situation and I'm 1 point ahead of the aul training partner so bit of friendly rivalry to sort out there! Have no hope of picking up points but to not turn up and let him pick up 2 points therefore beating me by 1 ..... just couldn't let that happen!! Sign on first...get up....change .... get home!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

What's considered a respectable time up this climb?

Is categorised by groups?

• Advertisement

chakattack wrote: »
    What's considered a respectable time up this climb?

Is categorised by groups?

Here are last years times
    http://homepage.eircom.net/~mcnallyswordscc/League/Results09.htm

Scroll to the bottom.
    It's handicapped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭cyco

Hey, I'm mad for a bit of racing before the season's over. Can anyone turn up for this or just swords cc?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Dave11 wrote: »
    Wasn't to sure if I was gonna make it as it clashes with a certain Spurs Champions League qualifier but thank god for Sky plus and I'll turn the phone off!!

At least when it comes round to next season's races the best you could probably hope for is Thursday night football. I had major problems with a clash earlier this season, but the volcanic ash cloud came to my rescue:D
    Raam wrote: »
    It's handicapped.

It's supposed to be handicapped, but all of the TTs this season were supposed to be (certainly the 10m and 25m ones), but in the end no handicaps were applied:rolleyes:
    cyco wrote: »
    Hey, I'm mad for a bit of racing before the season's over. Can anyone turn up for this or just swords cc?
    Drop 07Lapierre of RobFowl a PM - they are in the know about this sort of thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Yes its open to Non-Swordscc Members. All you need is a Cycling Ireland Licence, €5 sign-on fee, a Helmet and bike.

we'll see you there...sign-on from 06.30 Here

p.s. Message to all who are coming along, Can we have our numbers back please? :D (Bring them along this evening and hand them back to Joe or Breda at the finish line).

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭cyco

One day licenses? or time only?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

One day licenses? or time only?

No unfortunately.

Club races have no CI commisaire so we can't issue 1 day licences.

Time only would invalidate the terms of the CI insurance I'm afraid.

Third place for Ryaner tonight - congratulations - the two ahead of you are pretty good cyclists - one is the Club visitors champion, and the other races at (I think) A2 level. There were a lot of pretty good riders behind you also

Bit of an end of term feeling - it was supposed to be fancy dress, wasn't it?;)

In terms of my own place, I can claim some improvement on the first hill climb of the season - 25th place (out of 28) compared with 33rd (out of 44) last time:o

Having said that, I did improve my power curve between 7 and 9 minutes or so, and equalled my highest HR recorded - I'll put the stats in the training log

Thanks to all at Swords for putting on a great racing programme this season, in particular Joe, Breda, Sam etc. together with all the marshalls without whom we would not have a league.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭English Bob

That was tough but great atmosphere. Big thank you to Paul for shouting everyone home! Nearly went in reverse going up final bit. Caught out in big ring. Had my eyes on a big yellow monster in front but couldn't quite catch his tail! Well done to all organisers. Great years racing.

Hmmmm....what was story with some lads getting a nice standing start all clipped in and being held and then others having to push away themselves and clip in....that can mean 10 or so seconds. Not that it would have made a difference but just saying.....

Other then that........

Big thanks to Joe, Breda, Sam and the rest of the gang for organsing a fantastic league and for all the lads who take part for making mr feel so welcome in my first year racing. Swords really is a fantastic club and I would urge anyone interested in racing to give this a shout next year!!

First year racing and things went well overall despite missing six weeks due to my stupid appendix!! Got 3rd spot in the 'B' championship race, 2nd last week in the 'White House' circuit and managed to pick up wins on the 'Bog of the Ring' and 'Ballyboughal'....

Almost time now for a serious winter of training. I'm off to the U. S. of A. to cycle from Washington to New York, then putting the bike away for two weeks and then time for the pain....... Already itching to get going again for next year and will be lost now on a Wednesday night!!!

Hmmmm....what was story with some lads getting a nice standing start all clipped in and being held and then others having to push away themselves and clip in

Where did the "holder" go?

There just wasn't one there....

Don't get me wrong here lads...I don't want it to reflect poorly on the organising. I'm just having a stupid moan!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭mc2000

07Lapierre wrote: »
    p.s. Message to all who are coming along, Can we have our numbers back please? :D (Bring them along this evening and hand them back to Joe or Breda at the finish line).

Cheers

I didn't make it last night to return my number - do you want it posted to Breda/Joe at the Joinery? Or if I'm fairly sure that I'm going to do the league again next year, will I just hand onto it?

Thanks again to all for a great league this year, looking forward to next year already.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Left to follow one of the riders up the hill :eek:

RobFowl wrote: »
    Left to follow one of the riders up the hill :eek:
    What did he do when he caught you?

mc2000 wrote: »
    I didn't make it last night to return my number - do you want it posted to Breda/Joe at the Joinery? Or if I'm fairly sure that I'm going to do the league again next year, will I just hand onto it?

Thanks again to all for a great league this year, looking forward to next year already.

Send it to me along with your membership fee for 2011. ;) Or if your free some Saturday morning, meet up with us at Blakes cross and I'll take it off you then. cheers.

• Advertisement

Hmmmm....what was story with some lads getting a nice standing start all clipped in

Some of us needed all the help we could get! :D

Beasty wrote: »
    What did he do when he caught you?

For the first time in a hill climb no-one caught me !!!!!

Final points are up

Congratulations to Staro on taking the Club Championship, and Javan for being chased up that hill to take first place in the hill climb and visitors league

Nice to see RobFowl up there also, although just off the podium

I'm claiming equal 24th, although given extra points were given to the ladies, I think I'm actually in equal 22nd;) out of about 160 who took part (I know, I got all my points just for turning up:rolleyes:)

Final points are up

Congratulations to Staro on taking the Club Championship, and Javan for being chased up that hill to take first place in the hill climb and visitors league

Nice to see RobFowl up there also, although just off the podium

I'm claiming equal 24th, although given extra points were given to the ladies, I think I'm actually in equal 22nd;) out of about 160 who took part (I know, I got all my points just for turning up:rolleyes:)

I'm first Vet :D some advantages to this ageing lark.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

When will see the full results of the TT last night. Someone gave me more than 2 points and I'd like to see why. I wasn't that fast!

When will see the full results of the TT last night. Someone gave me more than 2 points and I'd like to see why. I wasn't that fast!

After handicaps, people move up or down accordingly.

They've not applied any handicaps this year, and Ryaner would probably have won last night if they had (he would have gained 40s over the 2 scratch riders ahead of him based on the handicapping used last year, which was supposed to be in force this year)

Thought that might be it. Would like to see what the handicap was. Still, 10 points from 2 races is a good return!!

They've not applied any handicaps this year, and Ryaner would probably have won last night if they had (he would have gained 40s over the 2 scratch riders ahead of him based on the handicapping used last year, which was supposed to be in force this year)

Actually handicaps have been applied. I recieved them today but they don't look right to me. So I won't be putting them up on the website until I've confirmed them. I don't think it effects the league results though.

Example: I did the climp in 08.32 according to Breda's timekeeping, but according to the result sheet, with handicap applied, my time is 29.29??? I thought the handicap would improve my time! :)

• Advertisement

Actually handicaps have been applied. I recieved them today but they don't look right to me. So I won't be putting them up on the website until I've confirmed them. I don't think it effects the league results though.

Example: I did the climp in 08.32 according to Breda's timekeeping, but according to the result sheet, with handicap applied, my time is 29.29??? I thought the handicap would improve my time! :)
    That sounds like your finishing time - so first off got a 1 minute handicap and last off a 28 minute one! I'm happy, as I was 9th off, which should give me a time of 19m 14s:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

Will add my thanks to all involved for the Swords league. Only joined up about 6 weeks back but it has been very enjoyable and I'll definitely be back next year.

That sounds like your finishing time - so first off got a 1 minute handicap and last off a 28 minute one! I'm happy, as I was 9th off, which should give me a time of 19m 14s:P

so what your saying is i finished 29.29 after the first rider? Ok but thats not a handicap. I was expecting something like this;

Start time: 20.57
    Finish Time: 29.29
    Actual time: 08.32
    Handicap: 30 seconds ( just an example)

Final time: 08.02

Is that not how it works?

so what your saying is i finished 29.29 after the first rider? Ok but thats not a handicap. I was expecting something like this;

Start time: 20.57
    Finish Time: 29.29
    Actual time: 08.32
    Handicap: 30 seconds ( just an example)

Final time: 08.02

Is that not how it works?
    That's how it should work - semi-scratch get 20s over scratch, group 3 40s, Group 2 60s and Group 1 80s reduction. So my time from start to finish was 9m 14s, and I would be due a handicap of 60s, giving me an adjusted time of 8m 14s

However, as no handicaps were applied in any of the other TTs this year, why start now?

So were the points results on the website subjected to a handicap? I did 8:06 I think, but the couple of people I talked to after bettered that so I was surprised to see me scoring points. A 60 second group 2 handicap would have seen me win the thing!!

That's how it should work - semi-scratch get 20s over scratch, group 3 40s, Group 2 60s and Group 1 80s reduction. So my time from start to finish was 9m 14s, and I would be due a handicap of 60s, giving me an adjusted time of 8m 14s

However, as no handicaps were applied in any of the other TTs this year, why start now?

Just realised what the problem is. I've been sent the wrong times. I've been sent the results for the 10mile TT on May 27th by mistake.

My time for that was a misrable 29.29.

• Advertisement

Just realised what the problem is. I've been sent the wrong times. I've been sent the results for the 10mile TT on May 27th by mistake.

My time for that was a misrable 29.29.

Could I have my 3 minutes on that one please (and my 9 minutes on the 25mTT) - that would make me very happy;)

TT Times and League results are up on the website...no handicaps applied to TT. Congratulations to the Winners!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

TT Times and League results are up on the website...no handicaps applied to TT. Congratulations to the Winners!
    We're sorry. This document is not published.

Looks like something didn't work quite right.

Ryaner wrote: »
    Looks like something didn't work quite right.

Ooops! sorry about that...sorted!

25th Beasty 9:14
    26th RobFowl 9:19

Twas the pointy hat what swung it !!!

• Advertisement

RobFowl wrote: »
    25th Beasty 9:14
    26th RobFowl 9:19

Twas the pointy hat what swung it !!!
    I retain my record of never having succumbed to RobFowl in a TT:D

No pointy hat on Wednesday - it was the streamlined jersey!!

Anyway, what differentiates 4th and 5th in the Club League (and the vets "title") - looks like you've got it on alphabetical order (and they use first name ahead of surname - the rules seem to "adapt" to suit committee members;))

I retain my record of never having succumbed to RobFowl in a TT

No pointy hat on Wednesday - it was the streamlined jersey!!

Anyway, what differentiates 4th and 5th in the Club League (and the vets "title") - looks like you've got it on alphabetical order (and they use first name ahead of surname - the rules seem to "adapt" to suit committee members)

Not exactly an exclusive club that one Beasty :rolleyes:

Saw that same number of points so should really be joint 4th.

That said I wasn't allocated points from marshalling at the 25mile TT yet so could still move up ;)

Advertisement