Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do - tenant leaving, room manky

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

I think it's if the money is used for things like painting and/or carpet shampooing. However, I do think that if the room is not to the standard the tenant moved in, there must be some form of recourse.

Totally understand and I'd be as frustrated as you. But that's the risk you take as a landlord - comes with the territory!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Kimia wrote: »
    Totally understand and I'd be as frustrated as you. But that's the risk you take as a landlord - comes with the territory!

No you're right and I am aware of that and don't want to come across as whining or spoiled.

@makeorbrake thanks for the perspective and advice. :) And you're right, it can be par for the course. And even though the outcome wasn't ideal this time, I have had another tenant who was absolutely fantastic and has left the room they vacated absolutely spotless.

Sorry if part of this has turned into a whinge fest! I guess, the original purpose of the mail was how people headed this situation off at the pass. It has meandered a little since then but it was great to get all the different perspectives and experiences.

I guess I am disappointed as having rented for years, I make a huge effort to ensure that people renting with me feel that it's their home as well and are as comfortable and secure as possible. It's disappointing and yes, frustrating when courtesies aren't reciprocated but I guess as posters have pointed out, ensure that you stress what is important to you and what the deal breakers are before the tenant moves in. I always did with parties and people staying - cleaning just didn't occur to me as I assumed (dangerous) that people would keep things clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

If the room is utterly filthy can you not just hire a cleaner and deduct from the deposit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

If the room is utterly filthy can you not just hire a cleaner and deduct from the deposit?

for the third time in this thread, no. you cannot deduct cleaning costs from the deposit if it was not specified and agreed in the original lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

I really don't know why it is so hard to understand that it is the landlord's responsibility between tenancies to ensure the property is pristine for the next tenant. Why on earth should the departing tenant pay for this? (Assuming they have caused only "normal wear and tear" during their tenancy).

Honestly, I think a lot of this attitude comes from the bubble times when being a landlord was seen as a one-way winning street. Fact is, there is no way on earth to turn an easy buck and being a landlord is no different. It is a tough and expensive business. To believe otherwise is to live in 2005 when we were so divorced from reality we might as well have been talking to white rabbits in Wonderland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Kimia wrote: »
    Monkeypants, seriously, this has been covered time and time again. Cleaning costs cannot be taken out of the deposit.
    I think they can't take it out of your deposit without your consent, but if you sign a contract that states this, I think it's allowed. Not 100% sure on this, though.

[devils advocate]
    costs incurred to repair damage above normal wear and tear
    They never say what "normal wear and tear" is, and as in the OP's case I don't think leaving the place in a sh|tty state is "normal wear and tear".
    professore wrote: »
    Maybe a visiting kid broke the lampshade and put it back together and didn't tell anyone ? I would consider this wear and tear in any event. The tenant would probably have replaced it had you asked.
    Walking up and down carpet = wear and tear. Breaking something is not wear and tear. Breaking something, and trying to hide it by making it look like it wasn't broken seems malicious.
    [/devils advocate]

Advertisement