Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sensor dust that's not dust

• 23-08-2010 11:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, in downloading some pics recently from the camera I've noticed 3 large artifacts in the images, in a consistent location in each image. The camera's set to do it's shaky shaky dust removal thing on startup, but I've never had it cleaned, wet or dry. It's a Pentax Kx about 6 months old.

Thing is, when the camera takes a dust check picture, the dust it picks up is in different locations in the frame altogether. Could it be another problem? Something in the software/firmware that makes the jpgs?

I've changed lenses and it shows up in images from both. The artifacts are fuzzier at low (well, high really) f-stops and sharp as you head towards f 22.

Any thoughts? Off on hols tomorrow, so my holiday snaps will have these on, but is it a "get it cleaned" answer? Thanks all!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Its dust. The sensor cleaning on your camera isn't 100% effective. I usually use a wet finger to rub on the sensor and it cleans it up fine :rolleyes:

Buy a rocket blower and a sensor pen kit (between €20-€40, I can't remember!?) and that'll sort it out. Scary the first time you lose your sensor cleaning virginity but just gets better every time afterwards!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Just cleaned my sensor for the first time the other day, had noticed 3 big flecks on a number of pictures I've taken recently. It's a bit daunting to say the least, especially when you've taken on tech-DIY jobs in the past and resulted in absolute disaster. With that in mind I went and bought the specific swabs for a full frame sensor and the cleaning liquid and the whole thing took about 1 minute. I can report a fully functioning clean sensor.... phew! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Thought as much. Will keep an eye out in the airport / and photo shops. Pitn. This digital isn't all as convenient as I thought!!!

the sensor pen thing I use is a totally dry option and gets better results first time compared to wet options (in my experience!). Wet options sometimes need 2-3 cleans before they work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Slightly OT.. my D300 has a clean sensor....but the viewfinder is dusty. I've tried the rocket blower already and it improved things a little. Can anyone recommend something for this...apart from submerging the camera in a soapy basin. A can of compressed air is a no-no too,right?

• Advertisement

pete4130 wrote: »
    the sensor pen thing I use is a totally dry option and gets better results first time compared to wet options (in my experience!). Wet options sometimes need 2-3 cleans before they work.

Are these expensive? Common? Easy to use? Might I pick one up at the airport or in a photo shop in-country (France...:P)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

Nforce wrote: »
    Slightly OT.. my D300 has a clean sensor....but the viewfinder is dusty. I've tried the rocket blower already and it improved things a little. Can anyone recommend something for this...apart from submerging the camera in a soapy basin. A can of compressed air is a no-no too,right?

I suppose this is an obvious question :) Can you see any dust on
    the mirror? If not, the dust is probably in the top of the camera
    where the prism and viewfinder is. I wouldn't use a can of compressed
    air. It might use a liquid propellant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

hbr wrote: »
    I suppose this is an obvious question :) Can you see any dust on
    the mirror? If not, the dust is probably in the top of the camera
    where the prism and viewfinder is. I wouldn't use a can of compressed
    air. It might use a liquid propellant.

No dust on the mirror (or the sensor). Images are unaffected....but knowing that the dust is there bugs me.:D I searched the issue on google and it seems to be a fairly common complaint.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

The dust could be on the Focusing Screen, which is a bove the Reflex Mirror. You can try very carefully cleaning it with a blower.

It can also be inside the Pentaprism. If it is then live with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Or...it's on the eyepiece, which seems like the much more obvious, non-fancy answer to me... :pac:

No idea how to fix it btw, same issue here. Fecking dust. :D

Just to clear up, the use of a blower sorted it out. I bought it and a sensor pen, but didn't need the pen. Yet. Thanks for replies!

Advertisement