Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gourcuff........

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Was reading about this earlier and I honestly can't understand it. Firstly, he must have been getting better more attractive offers from abroad. The lad is an absolute gem of a player. Why no one in the Premier League has had a pop at trying to sign him is beyond me.

Secondly, why Lyon? They're a side who have suffered a big decline in the past couple of years. Although Bordeaux failed to win the league last year and then lost Blanc to France, I still see this as a sideways step. Surely its a slap in the face to Bordeaux who helped to resurrect his career after his time at Milan.

Maybe something happened within the club that has yet to be revealed. Very strange indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I always thought Chelsea would make a move for him, he would be a natural successor to Lampard and could really benefit from his experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

Disappointed in that... Love to watch him play and hoped he would move to either England our Spain to see him in a few games! Was never really sure though which Prem club would come in for him... He did have that unsuccessful spell at A.C which might have put doubt in some of the bigger teams minds!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Surprised at this really. As someone said, it's a sideways step more than anything. Moving from one mediocre club to another equally mediocre one.

Surely, there was some other club out there in the wings, waiting for him. If not a Premier League or La Liga club, (the Serie A might be a bit more wary thanks to his fruitless stint at A.C.) but surely a Bundesliga club would be interested?

Would really have liked to have seen him move onward and upward... This is really sideways and... a little to the left again... weird...

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IsThisIt???

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I always thought Chelsea would make a move for him, he would be a natural successor to Lampard and could really benefit from his experience.

One of the reasons he never got firing at Milan was cos Ancelotti wasn't a huge fan and didn't play him much. He wasn't going to bring him to Chelsea for the same story again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

It does seem a strangely sideways kind of move. He's good enough for a move to Man Utd/Bayern Munich/Arsenal/Inter etc Are we missing something here? Maybe he just wanted to stay in France and Lyon were the best/only option??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

DazMarz wrote: »
    Surprised at this really. As someone said, it's a sideways step more than anything. Moving from one mediocre club to another equally mediocre one.

Surely, there was some other club out there in the wings, waiting for him. If not a Premier League or La Liga club, (the Serie A might be a bit more wary thanks to his fruitless stint at A.C.) but surely a Bundesliga club would be interested?

Would really have liked to have seen him move onward and upward... This is really sideways and... a little to the left again... weird...
    Bordeaux and Lyon aren't mediocre clubs, they made it to the latter stages of the CL last season and Lyon made it further than any English clubs, calling them mediocre is a bit embarrassing imo...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Liam O wrote: »
    Bordeaux and Lyon aren't mediocre clubs, they made it to the latter stages of the CL last season and Lyon made it further than any English clubs, calling them mediocre is a bit embarrassing imo...

Have to agree, I wouldn't class either as mediocre. The problem they both suffer from is that Ligue 1, albeit improving greatly, is still probably only the 5th best league in Europe. i thought he would be looking to challenge himself in a more competitive league, especially considering the nightmare he had at Milan. You'd imagine he'd want to prove he has the ability to succeed.

I'd imagine if he has in anyway a decent season at Lyon he'll be gone. He'd be a great replacement to Scholes eventually I think. He's a great passer and his ball control is lethal. The French also have a very good record in the Premier League. Ligue 1 is a quick, physical league that is similar style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Ah now, in fairness they are mediocre when compared to the absolute cream of Europe. I know they got further than the English teams last year but still, you have to admit its a strange decision especially with the links to the likes of Arsenal and United earlier this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

how much did he go for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

dorgasm wrote: »
    Ah now, in fairness they are mediocre when compared to the absolute cream of Europe. I know they got further than the English teams last year but still, you have to admit its a strange decision especially with the links to the likes of Arsenal and United earlier this year.

Not at all, if you followed Ligue 1, this is in no way suprising. Jean Michel Aulas usually gets any France international in Ligue 1 he sets his sights on.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    how much did he go for?
    •un montant forfaitaire de 22 M€ réglé en 3 échéances d'ici au 31 décembre 2012

22 mill. Mediocre indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

pretty good price. lovely player to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Disappointed, he was my tip for Fabregas's replacement once he leaves.

peejay1986 wrote: »
    Have to agree, I wouldn't class either as mediocre. The problem they both suffer from is that Ligue 1, albeit improving greatly, is still probably only the 5th best league in Europe. i thought he would be looking to challenge himself in a more competitive league, especially considering the nightmare he had at Milan. You'd imagine he'd want to prove he has the ability to succeed.

I'd imagine if he has in anyway a decent season at Lyon he'll be gone. He'd be a great replacement to Scholes eventually I think. He's a great passer and his ball control is lethal. The French also have a very good record in the Premier League. Ligue 1 is a quick, physical league that is similar style.

I think the likes of Lyon and Marseille can compete in the CL as they have money, probably more to spend than the likes of other certain Euro heavyweight clubs.

If he goes from Lyon in a year his price would be astronomical I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

I think he is more comfortable in France. Not sure if he is too pushed about going abroad again after the AC Milan experience.

A talented player, but a bit of a luxury too. Couldn't see a role for him in the PL at the minute, seems to be a classic #10 style player, but I'm open to correction on that.

Yes, Lyon and Bordeaux got to the latter stages of the CL last season... and treated us to some of the worst games of football I'd seen in Europe (knockout stages anyway) for a long time. The games where they played each other were utter dirge and Lyon finally got their arses firmly handed to them by Bayern.

As someone mentioned, the Ligue 1 is still only the 5th best league in Europe, lagging behind that of Spain, England, Italy and Germany. For a player who is supposedly as good as Gourcuff, to not want to be challenging himself on a higher plain in a better league and for a better team... It sits funny.

And I'd be more than willing to state this: no French team will get as far in the CL this season as Lyon and Bordeaux did last season. Not a chance.

Yes, Lyon and Bordeaux got to the latter stages of the CL last season... and treated us to some of the worst games of football I'd seen in Europe (knockout stages anyway) for a long time. The games where they played each other were utter dirge and Lyon finally got their arses firmly handed to them by Bayern.

As someone mentioned, the Ligue 1 is still only the 5th best league in Europe, lagging behind that of Spain, England, Italy and Germany. For a player who is supposedly as good as Gourcuff, to not want to be challenging himself on a higher plain in a better league and for a better team... It sits funny.

And I'd be more than willing to state this: no French team will get as far in the CL this season as Lyon and Bordeaux did last season. Not a chance.

Chelsea are hardly Barca. Their recent games in the last few seasons against Liverpool have been absolute torture to watch.

I think 1 team in the Bundesliga would beat most Ligue 1 opposition, in saying that, Lyon were particularly bad that game, never seen them play as bad. So really 1 team doesn't make a league.

He is challenging himself on a higher plain. Lyon consistently have knocked on the door of the CL knockout stage. I can't even remember when the last time they failed to make it out of the groups, if ever. They beat Real Madrid like it's going out of fashion.

I'm not saying Chelsea are like Barca, far from it.

But the fact remains there is a big difference between making it to the knockout stages (as Lyon have done), and actually making it to very far in the knockout stages (which Lyon have done maybe once; can't honestly remember any time apart from last season).

I just think that if Gourcuff was looking to further his football career, rather than leave it at a cozy status quo, he should have looked outside France.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Vastly over-rated player, hasn't been in good form since 2008.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

LOL, the French league is way, way behind the standard of German/Italian football, both of which are lagging behind English/Spanish leagues.

Last year's Champion's League was a fluke in many ways- Over the last decade, the latter stages of the Champion's League has been dominated, by and large, by English and Spanish clubs. Whether this is a good thing is another debate, but I don't see the status quo changing anytime soon. Last season was an exception.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

but I don't see the status quo changing anytime soon. Last season was an exception.

I really really disagree, the Bundesliga is getting stronger every season, and Bayern have a squad which is just as good as anything in England/ Spain. Italy is also coming back strong, there'll be a much much more even spread of European sides in the CL latter stages now, England's stranglehold is gone. Anyone of Real, Barca, Inter, Milan, Chelsea, Bayern, Arsenal, Man Utd could make the semi's, and that's completely ignoring any surprise packages like Roma, Lyon, or Sevilla. European football is settling back into a much more continent wide talent pool, Spain and England still may be top dogs, but it's much much more even than it has been over the past 6 seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

eZe^ wrote: »
    I really really disagree, the Bundesliga is getting stronger every season, and Bayern have a squad which is just as good as anything in England/ Spain. Italy is also coming back strong, there'll be a much much more even spread of European sides in the CL latter stages now, England's stranglehold is gone. Anyone of Real, Barca, Inter, Milan, Chelsea, Bayern, Arsenal, Man Utd could make the semi's, and that's completely ignoring any surprise packages like Roma, Lyon, or Sevilla. European football is settling back into a much more continent wide talent pool, Spain and England still may be top dogs, but it's much much more even than it has been over the past 6 seasons.

English clubs (other than the traditional top 4) are also getting stronger imo; Spurs have a great squad for the first time in a long time, Man City have more money than sense and are able to buy some of the best players in the world, Villa definitely getting stronger, the likes of Fulham/Everton etc have decent squads and are well able to compete in Europe. Compare that to Italian/German clubs (other than the traditional powerhouses- Fiorentina/Parma/Roma/Lazio/Werder Bremen/Wolfsburg for example, could you honestly see any of them beating the top 4 in England over two legs?

Plus, Inter are significantly weaker this season compared to last season, Mourinho was the main reason they won the CL. So, like I said, English/Spanish clubs will dominate for the next few years anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Not every player wants to play in the Premier League

When people are saying the Bundesliga, I presume you are talking about just Bayern. As I have to say over the spread Ligue 1 is every bit as strong apart from Bayern Munich who Lyon played particularly bad against.

I'm not saying Chelsea are like Barca, far from it.

But the fact remains there is a big difference between making it to the knockout stages (as Lyon have done), and actually making it to very far in the knockout stages (which Lyon have done maybe once; can't honestly remember any time apart from last season).

I just think that if Gourcuff was looking to further his football career, rather than leave it at a cozy status quo, he should have looked outside France.

Their is very few other clubs that have maintained that sort of record to the knockout stages.

Record in this competition Recent campaigns
    Season Stage Pld W D L
    2009/10 Semi-finals 14 8 2 4
    2008/09 Round of 16 8 3 3 2
    2007/08 Round of 16 8 3 2 3
    2006/07 Round of 16 8 4 3 1
    2005/06 Quarter-finals 10 7 2 1

That is their record for the last few seasons. Extremely unlucky in the 06 quarter finals against AC also.

09 and 08 both times knocked out by the eventual winner of the CL. (Barca and Man. U)

LOL, the French league is way, way behind the standard of German/Italian football, both of which are lagging behind English/Spanish leagues.

There's no doubt that Italian football has gone down a fair bit, and the French league was never that great to begin with, but the Bundesliga is getting stronger all the time. They get the biggest crowds of any league, and the top German clubs are now competing in the transfer market for some of the best players, and are paying pretty big wages. In terms of entertainment it's definitely one of the best leagues to watch, certainly miles ahead of Serie A in that regard.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I would imagine Bayern Munich would be the last club on earth he'd want to join.
    It's a fairly logical move - for Lyon in that he fits the profile of player they like to sign with talent, youth and Ligue Un experience and for him in that Bordeaux are falling apart and he's notoriously timid, so fitting in to a club in a foreign league seems to be a major personal obstacle. A guaranteed starting place, nice wages, Champions League football... what's not to like for him?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Smokin_Aces

His best friends play at Lyon so that would have been a big factor in moving there. Lyon have some good players so maybe he wants to win and sees them on the rise again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

English clubs (other than the traditional top 4) are also getting stronger imo; Spurs have a great squad for the first time in a long time, Man City have more money than sense and are able to buy some of the best players in the world, Villa definitely getting stronger, the likes of Fulham/Everton etc have decent squads and are well able to compete in Europe. Compare that to Italian/German clubs (other than the traditional powerhouses- Fiorentina/Parma/Roma/Lazio/Werder Bremen/Wolfsburg for example, could you honestly see any of them beating the top 4 in England over two legs?

Plus, Inter are significantly weaker this season compared to last season, Mourinho was the main reason they won the CL. So, like I said, English/Spanish clubs will dominate for the next few years anyway.

Liverpool aren't in the top 4 anymore but Fiorentina beat them home and away last year. I also think Roma and Bremen would give Spurs a pretty good run for their money.

Lazio finished just above the relegation zone so they're not really relevant to the discussion.

As for Inter being significantly weaker this season, they have yet to play a competitive match so I don't really see how you can make that statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭HyperSkypeWiper

Theres been a couple of side-ways steps like this lately-
    Bruno Alves to Zenit St.Petersburg
    Kjaer to Wolfsburg (thought he was great in the world cup)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

carlop wrote: »
    I also think Roma and Bremen would give Spurs Spurs would give Roma and Bremen a pretty good run for their money.

FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    FYP

Ha you're right, yours is probably more accurate!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

I was hoping Arsenal would have went in for him, seeing some of his link up play with Chamakh last season was jaw dropping. Maybe if/when Cesc leaves next summer he'll be got in to replace him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtVEYt1_icI :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

22 mil is the reason no other club signed him. Vastly over-priced for a player who had one good season about 2 years ago..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Andre80Johnson

He didn't make the French team for the Euros. Maybe it's not all that surprising giving his form in the last year but he is a talented individual who shone under Blanc at Bordeaux a few years ago, and I thought he would have again this summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

He didn't make the French team for the Euros. Maybe it's not all that surprising giving his form in the last year but he is a talented individual who shone under Blanc at Bordeaux a few years ago, and I thought he would have again this summer.

Would have been complete chaos if he took him. He has been truly awful this season and was booed off the pitch the other night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

for me, if i was picking 5 overrated players over the past few years, this lad would be one of them.

never seen anything from him that excited me or led me to believe that he was or would ever be a superstar. seeing him not make the squad, is no surprise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

I remember the so called experts saying he was going to be the replacement for Zidane when he retired. I lol'd at the thought then and now just lol at the player.

I remember the so called experts saying he was going to be the replacement for Zidane when he retired. I lol'd at the thought then and now just lol at the player.

He has a lot of ability though. Is it an attitude thing? Is he just lazy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Better players out there for that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

aidan24326 wrote: »
    He has a lot of ability though. Is it an attitude thing? Is he just lazy?

I know at milan he never made an attempt to learn italian, turned up late to training all the time and was just a general dick which is why he was frozen out. Incredible talent though

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Highly talented no question. But the lad has a real lack of self confidence really ever since the World Cup. Some might remember the stories of him being supposedly bullied by a lot of the big name players and the like. Also it must be noted, he's been quite injury prone this season and when fit for club, his place was never certain with Grenier usually getting the nod ahead of him. Was a real joy to watch him at Bordeaux back in 08/09.

There was a good article on him yesterday on Bleacher Report. I'll see if I can find it in a bit.

edit - http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1194295-euro-2012-can-laurent-blanc-get-yoann-gourcuff-back-to-his-best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Arsene is, for my moneys worth, the man to definitely get Gourcuff back to his best.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

Roy Keane could give him the kick in the a*se he needs to resurrect his career.:) no arm around the shoulders there.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭CrazySka

Why has this been resurrected, are there rumours he's moving, cant find them anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

CrazySka wrote: »
    Why has this been resurrected, are there rumours he's moving, cant find them anywhere?

Resurrected because he wasn't included in Frances final 23 man squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

It's all a conspiracy I tells ya.

Google translate Marouane Chamakh from French to English.

Advertisement