Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skype for 3 Not Staying Connected

Options
  • 24-08-2010 12:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Title says it all really ... I'm on the Samsung Spica, Android 2.1 and downloaded the Skype for 3 application which launched recently and I've noticed that it doesn't do a very good job of staying connected.

Not been testing long enough to see if it maintains connection if you're on 3G consistently, or whether it's just that it fails to reconnected when you roam off on to 2G and back to 3G again ... but put it this way, I've been on 3G with the phone stationary on the desk for a couple of hours and it hasn't logged back in to Skype after dropping due to some 2G roaming.

Anyone got any insights here ... seems insane that you have to constantly launch and re-login to a multitasking IM app?!

L

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

AKAIK 3's Skype has never logged in automatically when logged out due to loss of 3G signal

• Registered Users Posts: 36 chaostik

Heck that's pretty darn annoying ... so 'working as intended'?

Anyone found any way on Android of getting the thing to stay connected and reconnect if 3G is lost and regained? Even a method outside of the Skype for 3 app?

Thanks,

L

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

I think it is down to phone; My Samsumg Cara stays connected to Skype when minimised, my mate has a nokia, when he minimises it closes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

The OP isn't talking about minimising the application they are talking about it staying connected when not on 3G coverage. Your skype on your Cara would also disconnect if you lost 3G reception.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 chaostik

Yep, Walkman mostly has my drift -- although I do understand the loss of connection when 3G goes: that's par for the course. The thing that bugs me is it not automatically reconnecting when you get back into 3G ... seems bonkers that I have to keep bringing up the app to re-login in case I've roamed off 3G and back without noticing.

Anyhow, at the moment I'm trying out using Tasker (an automation app for Android) to bring Skype on 3 to the front every 30 minutes, wait 10 seconds and then drop back to home screen if my phone is locked. Have to wait and see but in at least one scenario I've tried that was enough to prod me back online without me doing anything after a periodic loss and regain of 3G.

Would love to hear if anyone out there knows a more reliable and elegant solution.

L

• Advertisement
Advertisement